Why Haven't We Heard More of These Stories

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 3, 2001
Red, no question that it sucks what happens in war, but the soldiers aren't "at the mercy" of whoever's in the white house. These people CHOSE to join the military and they KNEW the inherent risks when they signed up. You'd have to be absolutely delusional to join *any* branch of the military with the idea in mind that you're never going to see combat or that you're going to go into a country like Iraq and find a big hug-fest.

I'm sorry that people have to suffer, truly I am; I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But some causes are Just and are worth fighting for, and I have the deepest respect and appreciation for our men and women who are willing to put their lives on the line in order to help *strangers* escape from the rule of a tyrant and be able to look to the future with a little hope.

Jason

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: Genesys
in response to the topic question:
why would anyone want to hear depressing stories like this?
this kind of stuff is not 'telling it like it is' or 'getting the unheard story out'. every person knows the inherant dangers of going to war, and this kind of stuff [the injury] is the result of those dangers.

but i feel sorry for the soldier, hes never going to be able to see the dusk of a day gone by, the oceans, orthe skies again. from here on out, its all up to his minds eye to let him see.

The Truth is not always pleasant. If actions are taken that have unpleasant consequences, those consequences should be as known as anything else. To sanitize an action is to take an action too lightly.

i know that, thats a cruel lesson of reality. but you dont need to do a write up on it as if its breaking news. we all know there are unpleasentries to war, but we dont to hear stories that are going to hurt morale.

but i guess if they were to wait untill after the war then it wouldnt have the effect they are hoping for, would it? to me, the only purpose of a story like this is to get the people who are shakey on war support to turn their back entirely on the issue and start actively denouncing the war.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
in response to the topic question:
why would anyone want to hear depressing stories like this?
this kind of stuff is not 'telling it like it is' or 'getting the unheard story out'. every person knows the inherant dangers of going to war, and this kind of stuff [the injury] is the result of those dangers.

but i feel sorry for the soldier, hes never going to be able to see the dusk of a day gone by, the oceans, orthe skies again. from here on out, its all up to his minds eye to let him see.

The Truth is not always pleasant. If actions are taken that have unpleasant consequences, those consequences should be as known as anything else. To sanitize an action is to take an action too lightly.

i know that, thats a cruel lesson of reality. but you dont need to do a write up on it as if its breaking news. we all know there are unpleasentries to war, but we dont to hear stories that are going to hurt morale.

but i guess if they were to wait untill after the war then it wouldnt have the effect they are hoping for, would it? to me, the only purpose of a story like this is to get the people who are shakey on war support to turn their back entirely on the issue and start actively denouncing the war.

If hearing of this hurts morale, perhaps there is doubt in the hearts and minds of people to begin with. Perhaps people didn't choose support with a sober mind, a change of heart may be an enlightning, of one's conscience . IOW, the People ultimately decide the value of government actions, not politicians. If they find certain actions unpalatable, then it is.

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
Hey Red Dawn....I take offense at you implying that I gave nothing for my country. You should ask before assuming. I'm a disabled veteran (first Gulf War), and get my checks every month just like the soldier in the article will. Six surgeries 30 days inpatient at Walter Reed later, I lead a semi-normal life, albeit without full use of my wrists. They (the wrists) are fused now to support their damaged structure. I also still suffer from the various other broken but not repairable injuries sustained at the same time.

Did you serve?

Also, since you claim to know about the service so well, please enlighten us with your take on how to get our soldiers out safely, without turning this into another Somalia and getting half the Iraqi people and more of our own soldiers killed in the process.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: maluckey
Hey Red Dawn....I take offense at you implying that I gave nothing for my country. You should ask before assuming. I'm a disabled veteran (first Gulf War), and get my checks every month just like the soldier in the article will. Six surgeries 30 days inpatient at Walter Reed later, I lead a semi-normal life, albeit without full use of my wrists. They (the wrists) are fused now to support their damaged structure. I also still suffer from the various other broken but not repairable injuries sustained at the same time.

Did you serve?

Also, since you claim to know about the service so well, please enlighten us with your take on how to get our soldiers out safely, without turning this into another Somalia and getting half the Iraqi people and more of our own soldiers killed in the process.
Ill advised words on my part. What I meant was that you can't speak for that soldier as he agreed to be interviewed.

As for what I'd do now, well first of all I'd bolster out troop strength, become more agressive and when the insurgent have been dealt with pass the rebuildinmg of Iraq off to the UN. I definately don't believe that we should have gone in there under the false pretenses that we were given but now that we have we can't just leave and hang our guys out to dry as we demilitarize.

As for the Iraqi's well I care for them about as much as they care for us ..not much.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Welcome to war. I'd like to added this is a volunteer army. Who joins the Army to travel the world? Do you want them to taxi you around in a M1A1 Abrams?

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
Red Dawn, passions do run high on the forum as always. You have agreed to the average military officer concensus. They firmly beleive that more aggressive is a good solution. I'm kinda half and half on that. What good is the increased force if we alienate the general populace? They are dirt poor, both emotionally and monetarily. They just don't deserve more attitude from the "rich kids".

I posted this on another thread, but nobody took the time to read it. It shows how to be effective through learning about the opposition, and how to work with them to your own advantage.

good link

Horus

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Alistar7
he's blind, not DEAD, I would consider myself lucky......
rant
I'd rather be dead than blind and mentally injured.

2700 people injured because of "your" president. How many dead? On either side?
Does anyone remember why this war started? Does anyone care anymore?
Doesn't Saddam have WMD? Oh, he DOESN'T? WHAT A FREAKIN SUPRISE!
/rant

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: maluckey
Being a compensably disabled vet, I feel for him. What I don't do is pity him, or others. The point is that one can feel sorry for oneself, or use the adversity to grow with. There are many things that someone without sight, or two fused wrists (in my case) can't do, but many things never tried before still lie ahead to make up for what was lost.

To innundate the press with these stories is sensationalism, and at worst is usage of someones disability to promote an agenda, and at best pity, neither of which helps those disabled one bit.

If you want to help, talk to your congressman and make sure they do not cut retiree, and/or disabled veterans benefits. They could also help to streamline tracking and care of DAV's, and allow greater freedom of choice as to their health care providers.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what he said

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Horus
rant

/rant

Yes, I care for all those died in 91. He should have been removed sooner.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Tabb
Originally posted by: Horus
rant

/rant

Yes, I care for all those died in 91. He should have been removed sooner.

rolleye.gif