Why hasn’t Biden removed Trump’s tariffs?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I am not aware of Biden removing any of trumps tariffs so if you have info to the contrary I would appreciate a link.

The question I have is why hasn’t he? They were done by executive order correct? Wasn’t the Canadian tariffs done under some bs threat?

It seems rather ridiculous to shoot yourself in the foot amid a pandemic let alone the beginnings of a recovery.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Did a quick internet search and there's a lot of discussion on why Biden is leaving the China tariffs in place (and whether folks think that's good or bad), but I didn't really see any discussion on the Canadian tariffs.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Did a quick internet search and there's a lot of discussion on why Biden is leaving the China tariffs in place (and whether folks think that's good or bad), but I didn't really see any discussion on the Canadian tariffs.

Yeah that’s what I found too.

What’s the reason for leaving tariffs against China on?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah that’s what I found too.

What’s the reason for leaving tariffs against China on?
Different people say different things. Me personally, what with all the genocidin' and all, I dunno if I'm too keen on dropping them at this particular moment ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I thought the Canadian tariffs disappeared after New NAFTA went into effect??

As for the Chinese tariffs, I thought I read that Biden is keeping those through the end of the year at least—removal is a bargaining chip to play against Beijing. I think some of them may have lapsed with subsequent agribusiness deals. Here’s a good summary: https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/24/politics/china-tariffs-biden-policy/index.html

The Canadian tariffs on softwood lumber went from 20% to 9% in December 2020. They are still currently at 9%.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I have no idea but Biden does seem to only act after acquiring a very large amount if input and information. Liberals act with deliberation rather than just ‘feels’ and deliberation takes time.

Also Trump spent 4 years trying mightily to fuck the country up. He did and continues to do massive damage and for which he should be put before a firing squad.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I have no idea but Biden does seem to only act after acquiring a very large amount if input and information. Liberals act with deliberation rather than just ‘feels’ and deliberation takes time.

Also Trump spent 4 years trying mightily to fuck the country up. He did and continues to do massive damage and for which he should be put before a firing squad.

How long should it take to figure out if tariffs are bad or harmful to Americans? Seems like something most economist would have a factual opinion on already.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
He's not ending them for now because Trump was using them as leverage to negotiate a new trade deal and while some progress was made, it didn't get done. Regardless of whether the tariffs were a good or bad idea, he doesn't want to just drop them now. He wants to finish the negotiation that Trump started rather than just drop the leverage he used.

Reactions: HurleyBird

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It makes sense that, perhaps we need an agreement to return to normalcy and not just a one sided release of the twisted knot that was tied.

As others have said, in a word, leverage.

Reactions: HurleyBird

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
It makes sense that, perhaps we need an agreement to return to normalcy and not just a one sided release of the twisted knot that was tied.

As others have said, in a word, leverage.

What is normalcy? Our trade deficit has grown worse since the tariffs begin so what would China gain by negotiating anything with us so long as the tariffs are in place?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
How long should it take to figure out if tariffs are bad or harmful to Americans? Seems like something most economist would have a factual opinion on already.
How long, I heard, is a Chinese name. I must admit though, as a person who knows he knows nothing, I do seem to know I don’t know the answer to your question or if I do know, I’m not aware I do.

Another one of those things I seems to know by knowing I don’t know is an odd feeling I get about people who think they do know or seem to have some urgency to know the answer to the unknown. What could possibly animate such a need?

As a person who doesn’t know shit about why Biden hasn’t acted on tariffs or even if he has or hasn’t, I also believe I’m unable to judge the validity of criticisms for or against him.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
How long, I heard, is a Chinese name. I must admit though, as a person who knows he knows nothing, I do seem to know I don’t know the answer to your question or if I do know, I’m not aware I do.

Another one of those things I seems to know by knowing I don’t know is an odd feeling I get about people who think they do know or seem to have some urgency to know the answer to the unknown. What could possibly animate such a need?

As a person who doesn’t know shit about why Biden hasn’t acted on tariffs or even if he has or hasn’t, I also believe I’m unable to judge the validity of criticisms for or against him.

While you are trying to figure out if you hate yourself or not, I’m asking questions to better understand what’s going on. I normally can search for myself but I didn’t come up with any results.

If being informed isn’t something you concern yourself with, well I guess that’s where we differ.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
While you are trying to figure out if you hate yourself or not, I’m asking questions to better understand what’s going on. I normally can search for myself but I didn’t come up with any results.

If being informed isn’t something you concern yourself with, well I guess that’s where we differ.
It was my dedication to informing myself that led to my realization that, not only don’t a know anything but also that I hate myself. Knowing that required not so much an acquisition of knew information so much as unlearning what I thought I knew.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Let me add that one of the benefits, in my opinion of course, was that when reading that Biden hadn't acted and knowing I know nothing kept me also from assuming, also, that all the bad things I hear about him coming from various sources afound no resonance and precluding, thereby, a knee jerk predilection to assume it logical that he was at fault, somehow, for this. Alternatively, while I offered a suggestion or two as to why he might appear inactive as suggested, based on information about his manner of deliberation, I offered it up exactly as that, a suggestion, rather as a dogmatic truth backed up by a feeling of need to kill anybody who disagrees. :) Always love those who seek the truth for itself and not out of some ideological need. Always enjoy your opinions.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Meh. The USMCA has succeeded NAFTA. While there are changes, the overall picture is largely the same. It's a done deal. Renegotiating that obviously isn't a priority, nor should it be, despite all the Trumpian bullshit that launched it. China is another matter entirely & I'm sure the Biden admin is working towards resolution.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Meh. The USMCA has succeeded NAFTA. While there are changes, the overall picture is largely the same. It's a done deal. Renegotiating that obviously isn't a priority, nor should it be, despite all the Trumpian bullshit that launched it. China is another matter entirely & I'm sure the Biden admin is working towards resolution.
He does seem to be as serious about actually meeting the obligations of what Americans traditionally considered typical of a good President as Trump is about lying to stay out of jail.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Tarriffs added a lot of money to the US Treasury. It added a significant amount of money to how much the items subject to tarriff cost as well. Anyone remember the reason for the Boston Tea Party? Taxation without representation. Congress should pass a law that Tarriffs of any sort have to be approved by Congress.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
He's not ending them for now because Trump was using them as leverage to negotiate a new trade deal and while some progress was made, it didn't get done. Regardless of whether the tariffs were a good or bad idea, he doesn't want to just drop them now. He wants to finish the negotiation that Trump started rather than just drop the leverage he used.

That's my logic. Dumb idea to think that the leverage would net us a better trade situation. But even more dumb to simply abandon the leverage and end up worse than where we started for nothing. Think of it like Trump pulling out of the Iran nuclear deal. If you were of the opinion that it was a bad deal, fine. But pulling out with nothing in return was just stupid.

Nov 8, 2012
I love the idiocracy of this forum lol.

"OMG Tariffs are bad! They only hurt Americans! Fucking DUMBASS Trump is ruining everything!"

Why haven't the tariffs been removed now that you're in power?
"We gotta use it as a bargaining chip"

bwahahahahahahha lololol. You guys fucking crack me up.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

"OMG Tariffs are bad! They only hurt Americans! Fucking DUMBASS Trump is ruining everything!"

Hey we're not responsible for your lack of intelligence. Glad you get a kick out of it though.

Reactions: dank69 and Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

I never thought we should've gone into Iraq, but I didn't think we should just pull out in 2004 and say sucks to be you either.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

You poor thing. There's no basis to assume that the Chinese will drop their retaliatory tariffs if we drop ours. They can just sail on w/o us.