Why Fortnite? Why is it the HOT game at the moment?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
My gripe with the game is that walls and ramps go up too fast. Bullets should go through until the wall is at least 50% done. Now your choices are empty your clip to break the wall or build ramps to get above them.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
i dont understand the appeal of the building part... otherwise im enjoying it so far... only played it for 2 hours tho

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
i dont understand the appeal of the building part... otherwise im enjoying it so far... only played it for 2 hours tho
They have a 50v50 coming, I can see building being a big part. Battle Royale is just the free multiplayer component, the actual game seems to be building mazes and killing zombies.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
The masses already are playing it. It is fun and it is 100% free (all real $ items are cosmetic only so there is no pay to win aspect) which has made it super popular.

It's NOT free. It's free on mobile only.

I personally think the game is stupid and lame. I played for a total of 10 minutes. The game would not let me customize my character or pick any other character instead of a black woman. Spawned in the air with some kind of a dumb parachute, landed in a middle of a town with just a pickaxe. Hid inside a store. Some yahoo in full gear and an automatic assault rifle came up to me and killed me instantly.

That right there, already showed me exactly what sort of game this is, and I dint want to play it ever again. Clearly its not balanced, and not fun. Uninstalled immediately.

It all just goes to show me one more time how much I hate MMOs, multiplayer, and any sort of a "social" aspect to video games. I like to play alone, and alone only. Games like Witcher, STALKER, Total War, are so much better for me.

Last edited:

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005

I personally think the game is stupid and lame. I played for a total of 10 minutes. The game would not let me customize my character or pick any other character instead of a black woman. Spawned in the air with some kind of a dumb parachute, landed in a middle of a town with just a pickaxe. Hid inside a store. Some yahoo in full gear and an automatic assault rifle came up to me and killed me instantly.

That right there, already showed me exactly what sort of game this is, and I dint want to play it ever again. Clearly its not balanced, and not fun. Uninstalled immediately.

It all just goes to show me one more time how much I hate MMOs, multiplayer, and any sort of a "social" aspect to video games. I like to play alone, and alone only. Games like Witcher, STALKER, Total War, are so much better for me.

?? It's been free for me so far on the PC.
I still dont know what to think of this game. I don't like the fact that there's absolutely no tutorial, so I have to figure out how the hell to build shit or how weapons work in an actual live battle royal game where like you said i get shot within 5 minutes, then have to rejoin up again only to have that repeat before i figured out what to do. waste of frickin time rejoining, waiting for the stupid bus, etc. not cool in my opinion. and for those who say "just play to figure out", it's just not that intuitive. and i don't want to watch some stupid ass tutorial on youtube from some asshole game streamer is to explain how the game works. Once i figured out the basics though, I still don't think i like the mechanics of building a fort. especially during a dogfight... just throw up walls around yourself, or steps to get elevation over your attackers... wtf?! I really don't like this "minecraft" style of gaming... i also don't feel like the aiming mechanics are that good either... it doesn't require as much skill as a traditional fps, i think the "skill" part is where the building stuff comes in.

i'm going to keep playing it, it's somewhat interesting. i really enjoy the graphics and the world, the random squad's i've teamed up with everyone seems to be nice - all trying to figure out the game so not bitching each other out, but i think for me it's trending to a game i'll stop playing one day.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

You aren’t familiar with the battle royale genre, I assume? Everyone starts with nothing but a pickaxe, weapons spawn randomly all over the map, and you get what you kind find. Yeah sometimes you’re unlucky and will die without finding a gun, but probably 95% of the time you pick one up within seconds of landing. I’ve no interest in Fortnite (have just watched some streamers play it), so I’m not defending it. This is just the nature of BR.

Reactions: Ns1

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I was surprised sed to see that Fortnight has been around since 2011. I had no idea .

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I was surprised sed to see that Fortnight has been around since 2011. I had no idea .

As far as I know the release date was July 25th of 2017. The Battle Royale portion released on September 26th of the same year. Not sure where you heard 2011?

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Is kinda fun for a bit, but the building stuff is not fun, more annoying, an extra thing to learn when all you want to do is pew pew pew.

Reactions: evident

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Is kinda fun for a bit, but the building stuff is not fun, more annoying, an extra thing to learn when all you want to do is pew pew pew.
yep. i strongly feel this way after playing it for about 30 hours...

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
because you can be total shit at any sort of FPS and still do well. The skill ceiling (at least for the gun play) is so low that NBA players can jump in and not come in last place every single time. It's a FPS game for the masses.
Bingo. My wife saw something on TV that said it’s the first online shooter to really be embraced by women, to the point that some servers are more than 50% females. It’s simultaneously less grim and more accessible than any previous similar shooters.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Why on Earth would your sex and skin tone matter in a game where your life expectancy is measured in minutes? The mind, she boggles. Concentrate on the important issues, like how big are her boobs?

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

FreshBross

Jul 30, 2018
It's the same thing as how some of those horrible COD games got millions of players even though the game was horrible and many other gaming companies could've created the same product but improved on it by a lot. Fortnite is a horrible game that could've been created by a low talent and low budget company, and the idea for fortnite came by copying other games who had the same idea initially. I think fortnite just got real lucky this time, simply for the fact that anybody can play it. If the game had came out and cost money instead of being free I doubt it would have made it far. Game lacks anything intriguing about it

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
No seriously, is 90% of this game running around? These maps seem huge for the number of people on them. WoW and murloc beating seems so much more gratifying compared to this.

Reactions: OCNewbie

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
A bit like WoW or the iPhone/iPod...

Someone already had a better product but through better marketing, more well known brand, luck of the draw and BAM! you have a phenomenon.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Don't think it's just adults, teens and preteens playing it. You have 7 or 8 year old kids playing it. Not just boys but girls too. The game has made "AR" a common family word.

For me I'm a little on the fence about letting kids that young play it. Yea it has cartoony characters, no blood and no simulated death animations but the whole point of the game is to kill everyone to win.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I've avoided it thus far because I just can't get into multiplayer games like when I was younger, but I'll probably give it a try at some point.

FreshBross

Jul 30, 2018
There's more to this game that I don't give it credit for. Not so much on the fun side, but on being part of the forefront of getting kids addicted to in-game purchases. Parents around me are freaking out that their children keep asking for them to buy stuff. One kid was in for $500 .... what!? No wonder the industry has grown so much as big prizes being given away.

There is a movement here, i had a big conversation with these parents who all knew more about Fortnite than I did, and they never played. What was interesting was that the younger girls are really into it because the game finally caters to them. This part is awesome and I commend them for it. Probably shouldn't have called them low talent either. Many of today's gaming studios have different visions. A father said he found the game was feminizing his boy with the candy looking skins and dances.. quite more to observe with Fornite and Tencent..

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
There's definitely something going on here, an inflection point of sorts in terms of the level of popularity a game primarily about shooting people can attain with both genders.

I tried the game back in February and it's fun enough but I uninstalled after a few days. I got a total of maybe 10 matches in. It was fun up until the final five or so players are left, at this point the game changes into a tower building simulator. Perhaps that's the genius of it... but the appeal is lost on me.

I'm not the target audience so it's all good.

FreshBross

Jul 30, 2018
It goes beyond Fortnite, most of these viral level popular new games don't appeal to us, Overwatch for example, played a few games, same for anything RTS, hero based strategy team vs team, fast paced. It all makes for great e-sports platforms, just not appealing to my gaming wants of delving into a storyline. This is more about performance, ego almost. Overwatch league is poised to have a bigger audience than the NFL. E-Sports + streaming craze really changed the landscape.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
NBA players are going nuts over the game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Logan Brothers have enntered the fray.

https://kotaku.com/the-paul-brothers-attempt-to-bandwagon-fortnite-turns-m-1823897352

Ninja is making SERIOUS BANK. To the tune of $500k a month.

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/pro-ga...nite-discusses-his-popularity-news.46159.html

Has anyone been playing this game? Looks fun, but when the masses start playing I know it's all downhill with idiots, trolls and little kids.

Cause PUBG continues to suck moar and moar.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
It really saddens me that the studio that made one of the best death-match games, Unreal Tournament (1999), is now most famous for Fortnite. :cry:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
My teenage cousins are all over fortnight. They like the shooter + building combined. It does have appeal there. But, I HATE 3rd person games usually, and even worse are deathmatch games that don't let you respawn. Something like 100 player arena shooter with Quake deathmatch rules would be a lot of fun though.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
You know what would be cool? A Battle Royale game .. in the Arma 3 engine.