Why facts don't matter

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
Deep down inside, many people feel that they live in
a scary world, a world where they are uncomfortable
with the way things seem to be. It's our perception
of things.

That's why facts be damned; intelligence be damned.
We want to return to the comfortable times, the comfortable
and secure environment we used to know, or that our parents told
us used to exist.

Otherwise sane adults are even willing to believe in a myth
that promises to provide that comfort and safety,
and to vote for it.

See this interesting article:
http://www.time.com/time/polit...0,8599,1840388,00.html

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
"Where there is no Vision, my People perish"

Look forward and dream of a better future. Looking backward and dreaming of yesterday is to die.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Sometimes I wonder if McCain chose Palin so nobody would ever focus on any of his faults. It's like he logged into World of Warcraft and equipped the Shield of Idiotic Absorption, i.e. Palin.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Sometimes I wonder if McCain chose Palin so nobody would ever focus on any of his faults. It's like he logged into World of Warcraft and equipped the Shield of Idiotic Absorption, i.e. Palin.

Man, that is sig worthy right there. :laugh:

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
This is why Suburbia shouldn't be allowed to vote.
Republicans spin a nostalgic tale of an America that perhaps never truly existed, and Democrats spin a tale of a future utopia that is naive and fiscally unattainable.

Essentially Main Street USA VS. Brave New World.

This is why Suburbia shouldn't be allowed to vote
How very unAmerican.

SillyOReilly

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2007
Originally posted by: TheSlamma

If we're going to be talking about who shouldn't vote, I'd like to postulate that people with WoW accounts be excluded from voting.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: SillyOReilly

If we're going to be talking about who shouldn't vote, I'd like to postulate that people with WoW accounts be excluded from voting.

People with WoW accounts are too busy playing WoW to vote anyway, so that's kind of a moot point.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Juddog

People with WoW accounts are too busy playing WoW to vote anyway, so that's kind of a moot point.

Didn't you hear? The upcoming expansion includes the voting feature.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: m1ldslide1

Didn't you hear? The upcoming expansion includes the voting feature.

Heheh it's hard enough getting the WoW playing guys just to pay attention to their wives and kids, let alone vote.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I demonstrated the other day that people here can't think and people here are like people everywhere.

You don't know it and won't know it after I tell you because the reason truth is unknown is because people instantly dismiss it as impossible, is simply that political party identification, the phenomenon of partisanship, is a form of ego identification that is a substitute for self respect that was taken away in childhood. You were made to feel worthless and joined a team somebody told you was good. Now you think you're good too, but you feel just like you did, except the pain is now unconscious. You won't let go of your party because you might contact the feeling you were made to feel.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

:confused: I've never played WoW in my life. You don't have to play it to get the reference.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Where does that shield drop?
In the empty 'Cain Caverns, where you have to slay a rabid boss elephant that has a deadly spell called FAS (Flip-flopping Acid Spittle) and hurls gigantic bales of neatly packed sht at your party that permanently drops their Intelligence attributes to 1.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
In the empty 'Cain Caverns, where you have to slay a rapid boss elephant that has a deadly spell called FAS (Flip-flopping Acid Spittle) and hurls gigantic bales of neatly packed sht at your party that permanently drops their Intelligence attributes to 1.

LMAO. :laugh: When he gets down to 50 % his cheek bursts open and creates Cancerous Beast, you need to have someone offtank these or else they wipe out your MT.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
Republicans spin a nostalgic tale of an America that perhaps never truly existed, and Democrats spin a tale of a future utopia that is naive and fiscally unattainable.

Essentially Main Street USA VS. Brave New World.

This is why Suburbia shouldn't be allowed to vote
How very unAmerican.

You gotta start somewhere.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

pfft Obama vs McCain is the most popular topic of choice in the Trade channel of the server I play on. Granted, the conversations are also 50 times worse than the stuff we got here in P&N plus that doesn't mean that are reliable voters but still. ;)

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Xavier434

pfft Obama vs McCain is the most popular topic of choice in the Trade channel of the server I play on. Granted, the conversations are also 50 times worse than the stuff we got here in P&N plus that doesn't mean that are reliable voters but still. ;)

If you added in a lvl 70 quest where they got 25 gold for voting, you'd bet your ass that they'd be attending in droves.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..true. what else can explain KOOKS that will prop up a street agitator and make him the DNC choice for president??

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

There goes most of America. But McCain coudl still vote, since he doesn't even use e-mail.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
In the empty 'Cain Caverns, where you have to slay a rapid boss elephant that has a deadly spell called FAS (Flip-flopping Acid Spittle) and hurls gigantic bales of neatly packed sht at your party that permanently drops their Intelligence attributes to 1.

LMAO. :laugh: When he gets down to 50 % his cheek bursts open and creates Cancerous Beast, you need to have someone offtank these or else they wipe out your MT.

That took it in a direction of poor taste.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: IGBT
..true. what else can explain KOOKS that will prop up a street agitator and make him the DNC choice for president??

What a dishonest post. But hey, it lets you keep rationalizing your ideology and your head buried.