Why don't we parade criminals in shackles and chains to serve as warning to others?

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Don't you think this will lower crime and deter criminals if they see those convicted of such crimes being paraded around with the arms bounded, legs chained to each other, we could have them were weighted signs detailing their crimes, so others will see what happens to those who violate the law. This will serve as a great warning to others who think of committing such crimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
I don't think we need to go that far, but it would probably be helpful to bring the concept of shame back.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
There is no shame anymore, only rage. Instead of shaming them into shape you would make them into arsonists and gangsters.

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
Don't you think this will lower crime and deter criminals if they see those convicted of such crimes being paraded around with the arms bounded, legs chained to each other, we could have them were weighted signs detailing their crimes, so others will see what happens to those who violate the law. This will serve as a great warning to others who think of committing such crimes.

Southern states were real big on that for a while - Put 'em all to work fixing roads and whatnot

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
why would this stop anyone? criminals aren't mindless drones or something just acting out criminal stuff.. lol

every criminal does what they do, knowing exactly of the consequences that MAY follow.. key word there.. MAY.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
why would this stop anyone? criminals aren't mindless drones or something just acting out criminal stuff.. lol

every criminal does what they do, knowing exactly of the consequences that MAY follow.. key word there.. MAY.

What about putting shock belts on them too and shocking them in public to serve as warning. Do you think that will deter people?

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Didn't deter crime then, wouldn't do any different now.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Good thing our justice system is entirely incapable of sending innocent people to prison.

o_O

lykaon78

Golden Member
Sep 5, 2001
Amendment VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
What about putting shock belts on them too and shocking them in public to serve as warning. Do you think that will deter people?

nope, same outcome...

you gotta realize, a criminal.. does what he does, knowing, exactly the consequence..

no amount of shame can factor into that..

criminals are people who got a shitty hand in life, and are willing to risk it all, for a chance at a better life..

now that encompasses ALOT.. like say. criminal who can get ahold of a pound of pure heroin.. vs.. the 50 years in life that will cost him IF he gets caught... he's betting on the IF...

and that pound of heroin will make him a rich man.. at least hundreds of thousands of dollars... so that he can make another, simalar deal...

that's what we're working with.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Why don't we parade criminals in shackles and chains to serve as warning to others?

You are trying to answer your question in the wrong way. What is important to understand, first off, is why you ask. You are looking for a solution to crime but in the wrong place. You make the assumption that crime is a calculation, is how much I can commit worth the risk, that crime is factored against fear. You have an unexamined assumption that crime should be stopped by deterrence and the likely reason is that you don't want yourself or others to become a victim of it.

Once you have some of your hidden assumptions out in the air you can begin to really think. Why do people commit crimes and why do we want to stop them? The answers to these questions will require self knowledge.

Do why do people commit crimes? Is it not to scratch some kind of itch, to have what one doesn't have via theft, make somebody hurt because they hurt you or not, have sex, seek some other pleasure, escape this or that pain, etc? Crime is a mental state in which a mind feels need. But there are real needs and illusory ones, ones that have been inculcated, created, and instilled. Do we hold the mother who steals bread for her child in the came contempt as a charity raider? I think what we really care about is crime from selfish people, people with emotional needs that can't satisfy in a sanctioned manner and hurt others to satisfy themselves, people, as it were, who seem to have no shame, when what that really means is people who have no real self respect, folk who hate themselves and act out those feelings.

So what we come down to in the end are mental health issues and those require, not punishment and humiliation, but a psychotherapy that can yield self healing and personal emotional development and ego self repair.

I believe this is the kind of understanding that begin to occur with the Enlightenment and formed some of the basis of our Constitution with it's proscription against cruelty. The mind is sick because of hate and the hate of those who are victims of crimes can be quite criminal itself.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
We have this wonderful double standard here, lets some poor smuck blue collar criminal get caught with a gram of crack cocaine, and we lock em up and throw away the key. And then when we do noting to teach them a skill to break that cycle of crime, we act all surprised when they instead learn how to be better educated criminals instead. As they will get lesser sentences than even bank robbers who too will be eventually be released.

Yet when we look at our white collar criminal class, people like Bernie Madoff, Ken Delay, Jack Abramoff, yes lets include Richard Nixon and complete scoundrels like Dick Chaney, very sleezy Rice, who steal more money from US taxpayers than a million bank robbers combined, the best we can do is send them off to white collar country club prisons if we do anything at all.

And who can forget Tom the Hammer Delay, who ran the US House of representatives with a iron hand as the power behind the scenes when Next Gingrich was forced to resign? While at the same time ole Tom Delay was being indicted for illegal activities in Texas redistricting. And when ole Tommy finally found justice catching up to him, it was the end of his criminal career. As instead dancing with the stars still featured Tom Delay as a role model dancer. Along with Bristol Palin, a typical teenage unwed mother we normally decry, and instead dancing with the stars also featured Bristol as a American teenage role model.

As for me, I still like that ole American custom of riding miscreants out of town on a rail dressed in regal garments of tar and feathers. But somehow I think we are only reviling the wrong class of criminals and not the white collar criminal and the white collar idiots who do far more damage to our society.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Why don't we tar and feather tyranny loving statists like we did back in the good old days?

Last edited:

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
the problem is, you gotta arrest the real criminals before you can do that, and no one is willing to do that. have any bankers or oil company executives been charged? have the people who started all these wars been charged yet? it sounds like you only want to "shame" black kids who stole condoms from 7-11 and non-criminals like this chick:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-student-17-police-charge-sexual-battery.html

Last edited:

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
LOL I made this only as a joke after watching django and seeing them do the same to the slaves, that is why it was on OT at first.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
We have this wonderful double standard here, lets some poor smuck blue collar criminal get caught with a gram of crack cocaine, and we lock em up and throw away the key. And then when we do noting to teach them a skill to break that cycle of crime, we act all surprised when they instead learn how to be better educated criminals instead. As they will get lesser sentences than even bank robbers who too will be eventually be released.

Yet when we look at our white collar criminal class, people like Bernie Madoff, Ken Delay, Jack Abramoff, yes lets include Richard Nixon and complete scoundrels like Dick Chaney, very sleezy Rice, who steal more money from US taxpayers than a million bank robbers combined, the best we can do is send them off to white collar country club prisons if we do anything at all.

And who can forget Tom the Hammer Delay, who ran the US House of representatives with a iron hand as the power behind the scenes when Next Gingrich was forced to resign? While at the same time ole Tom Delay was being indicted for illegal activities in Texas redistricting. And when ole Tommy finally found justice catching up to him, it was the end of his criminal career. As instead dancing with the stars still featured Tom Delay as a role model dancer. Along with Bristol Palin, a typical teenage unwed mother we normally decry, and instead dancing with the stars also featured Bristol as a American teenage role model.

As for me, I still like that ole American custom of riding miscreants out of town on a rail dressed in regal garments of tar and feathers. But somehow I think we are only reviling the wrong class of criminals and not the white collar criminal and the white collar idiots who do far more damage to our society.

Some of these white collar criminals we could use more perp walks in my opinion. However I think part of is the difference between Federal and State Prison. I remember watching a show on Bernie Maddoff and they where interviewing a Inmate that served time with Maddoff in Federal Prison. He was experienced and he was talking about how Federal prisons are way better than state prisons as far as ammenities. As long as you are not a Terrorist etc and put into a SuperMax prison. Overall the federal prison system is much more comfortable than state prison system. So since the majority of white collar crimes wind up being Federal crimes with people getting sent to Federal prison that is maybe where this concept comes from that white collar criminals are treated easier.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Even prisoners have some rights. I'd call this a clear invocation of the cruel and unusual punishment restriction.