Why don't we have a federal mandate on Congressional term limits?

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
Don;t you think its kind of weird that the president can only run for 2 consecutive terms, but Congress gets to run until they die?

I know that some states have limits, but shouldn't this be a federal decision?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
If nothing else, a mere law will not do it. The constitution must be amended by the very rascals you speak of. Do not hold your breath waiting for it to just happen.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The constitution would need to be amended to change this, as it was for presidents when Republicans were petulant about FDR's 4 terms, as if that were bad for the nation.

On the larger topic, I'm very much against term limits. I think our nation benefits from good representatives serving fo decades, and we'd shoot ourselves in the foot to ban it.

But what about the hacks who hold seats simply because of incumbency advantages, the parties having too much power - isn't that reducing democracy?

I'd say yes, but that the benefits are high enough that we should limit our reforms short of term limits, and find better ways to fix the problem of incumbency advantages.

I don't suppose all of our libertarian friends would accept any role for citizens to take some personal responsibility not to vote for bad incumbents - but of course, there's more to the issue, and I think most of it has to do with the role of money in buying name recognition, and we should change the role of money, which is largely an alternate way for the powers to maintain their disprortionate influence and get around the intent of democracy.

In my view, term limits brinigng about a legislature filled with fresh faces only serves the experienced unelected bureacracy who gain the upper hand in how the system works, and the party interests for whom the actual performance of the person is less of an issue in the election than the marketing of yet another new face constantly, 'trust us! new and improved!' You know what you are getting with Ted Kennedy and Trent Lott.

There's something to be said for that.

They aren't picked by some machine recently, who they owe more to for that selection than the constituents, lame ducks without the accountability of re-election.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Five terms in the House and two terms in the Senate, no more.

Add that together and we are looking at 22 years, more than enough for anyone.

Also... ever notice that the people who have been there the longest are always the ones at the center of all the pork spending fights?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Also... ever notice that the people who have been there the longest are always the ones at the center of all the pork spending fights?

No, what I notice is you making up myths that are a substitute for facts for your side.

I think we'd see more pork, not less, with term limits, as the power shifted from the elected officials to the parties who pick them, who need all the money they can get.

But hey, it's not like you supported Bush in 2000 and got fooled by not being able to tell the difference between his low-spend talk and the corruption of his party.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002

Yep and some how their bank accounts increase at an exponential rate that far exceeds their salary.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

:thumbsup:

The problem with trying to implement term limits is simple... and obvious: That is, the ones who would need to vote to make it happen are the same ones who would be effected. Therefore, at this stage in the ballgame, it doesnt seem at all likely.

We'd need a major non-Congressional Presidential candidate -- a Governor perhaps -- comes along and makes it his/her primary issue.

*looks around*

There's nobody in sight... :(