WHy don't the mustang or Corvette have any real competition?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: rh71
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
if you want to know why the price difference, at least the 350z has the reliability (come on, it's going against Ford) and better interior.

You said it - cheap sports car... all go and no flow.

http://www.jdpower.com/auto/jd...tings/FindJdAwards.jsp

Using that:

http://www.ttugly.com/images/a...tech/mustangvs350z.jpg

Viper GTS
I thought they re-designed the 2005 mustang ? I dunno, but the interior of the 2005 mustang is what I saw...

There are no ratings available for the 05 Mustang yet.

A buddy here at work has an 05 GT (without the interior upgrade package), while it's nothing special inside it's better than the 2000 he had previously (IMO).

Viper GTS

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: CVSiN
Originally posted by: Rallispec
Seems like it could be a very profitable market - yet ford is the only company I can think of that really has a cheap sports car. (300hp / rwd / 25k )

(on a wierd note - edmunds.com lists the competitors as the Stratus, 350z, grand am, Tc, and Solara - the only one I think is even close is the 350- which will cost several thousand more than the ford)

The same thing goes for the Corvette - the closest I can think of is the M3 and the viper. I dont see the M3 and vette directly competeting though, as they target totally different customers. And the viper cost nearly double. Seems like another market waiting for some competition.

Am I missing something here?

GTO is competivie with the stang at 400hp

what about price? I thought the GTO was 30k+?

So, will we see the return of the F-body any time soon? ( or something else new from detriot?)

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
so why do you think there is a price difference between the 350z and the 2005 Mustang ?

there are more factors determining price than just cost.
I'm trying to understand how this is an answer my question. Because I agreed with that already.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Seems like it could be a very profitable market - yet ford is the only company I can think of that really has a cheap sports car. (300hp / rwd / 25k )

(on a wierd note - edmunds.com lists the competitors as the Stratus, 350z, grand am, Tc, and Solara - the only one I think is even close is the 350- which will cost several thousand more than the ford)

The same thing goes for the Corvette - the closest I can think of is the M3 and the viper. I dont see the M3 and vette directly competeting though, as they target totally different customers. And the viper cost nearly double. Seems like another market waiting for some competition.

So, will we see the return of the F-body any time soon? ( or something else new from detriot?)

There are pretty heavy incentives being offered on the GTO, it is more expensive than the Mustang but not terribly so. It also gives a lot more, LS1 (LS2 in the 05), independant rear suspension, etc. My coworker cross-shopped the GTO & the 05 Mustang, but ended up going with the Mustang (his second 'Stang).

There was some talk of a new Camaro/Firebird, but I haven't heard anything lately.

Viper GTS

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

Camaro is going to make a comeback. A GTO is pretty closely priced to a Mustang GT, a little higher, but with all of the incentives, it is about neck and neck. I'd seriously consider leasing one as a daily driver, if it weren't for the mileage I put on. $229 a month is just too good to pass up, even if it is a lease.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Many sports cars and muscle cars were phased out during the ninties because too many people switched to SUVs and sedans.

I believe that is finally switching back now as new sprots cars are being introduced and selling quite well.

TheAudit

Diamond Member
May 2, 2003

Doesn't seem that way. Pontiac had a chance to revive the Firebird moniker with the GTO but they decided to go in a different direction. And GTO sales are dismal.

My parents owned two Trans Ams, a late 80?s edition and an early 90?s one. I rather liked them. Were they efficient? Frig no, huge exteriors and a tiny 2+2 interior. Huge steam roller tires with lots of tire roar and a snorting V-8 with poor fuel efficiency. But, you hit the gas and that torque would churn the road. Yeah, it stuck to the pavement like glue, as long as the road was flat anyway, otherwise the rear end would step out and your kidneys would get a massage. In the end, they could never attract enough buyers to the Camaro and Firebird to match Ford and it was time to ditch the design. I?m not sure if they could ever be revived. SUVs and sedans are what sell now. Even the sport coupe market is all but gone with the Celica bowing out and Eclipse sales in the tank.

nwfsnake

Feb 28, 2003
WHy don't the mustang or Corvette have any real competition?

Thanks to the internet, most men can now "grow at least two full inches" and don't need a Mustang or Corvette anymore! :laugh:

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004
American sports cars always seemed to me to be a different kind of car entirely from a Japanese or German one. American sports cars focused on pure muscle power and displacement, while German cars were more concerned with the overall ride and Japanese cars with more of an emphasis on reliabiliy, longevity, and practicality.

I mean, how soon do you guys expect to see BMW roll out a fiberglass body, or Nissan showcase a V10 truck engine into their high preformance cars? Or maybe Ford bringing out a new 4-door Mustang with a front-middle engine that can comfortably seat more than 2 people? It just doesn't happen that way.

Of course, this is just my way of looking at it.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
RSX-S > Mustang

And quite a bit cheaper, and way, way nicer interior, and better gas milage, damn I could go on for days...

AdamSnow

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2002
See Sig.

Mustang GT's, Firebirds, Camaro (not SS), RX-8, 350Z, Supra, RX-7... All not considered competition to me... and my car is stock...

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: AdamSnow
See Sig.

Mustang GT's, Firebirds, Camaro (not SS), RX-8, 350Z, Supra, RX-7... All not considered competition to me... and my car is stock...

talking more about sales competition, not so much performance competition. The SRT-4 is a nice car, pretty fast, but the people who buy those are the same ones buying the civic si, WRX, nissan se-r... etc.. The srt-4 is definetly the leader of the pack of the cheap performance compacts go.... can't beat the bang for the buck.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Gothgar
RSX-S > Mustang

And quite a bit cheaper, and way, way nicer interior, and better gas milage, damn I could go on for days...

FWD < RWD therefor a mustang has to be > RSX-S. The RSX competes against other fwd compacts not the mustang.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
RSX-S > Mustang

Those two arent in the same market. I don't even know who markets the RSX as a "sportscar". :confused:

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
i think the comparison to the z06 has always been with the viper.

with the new z06 debuting next year i think this comparison will be more applicable (esp since the price &amp; performance of the z will be much closer to the viper).

nothing beats my z06. hahahaha

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004

so is the Mustang GT with good options and the Corvette C6 cant touch for under 40k

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf
RSX-S > Mustang

FWD < RWD therefor a mustang has to be > RSX-S. The RSX competes against other fwd compacts not the mustang.

okay, okay I will give you the RWD thing...

how 'bout a s2000? rear wheel drive, goes for about 30k, is that comparible?

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
RSX-S > Mustang

Is there a car on the market that has a steeper torque curve?

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: TheAudit

Doesn't seem that way. Pontiac had a chance to revive the Firebird moniker with the GTO but they decided to go in a different direction. And GTO sales are dismal.

My parents owned two Trans Ams, a late 80?s edition and an early 90?s one. I rather liked them. Were they efficient? Frig no, huge exteriors and a tiny 2+2 interior. Huge steam roller tires with lots of tire roar and a snorting V-8 with poor fuel efficiency. But, you hit the gas and that torque would churn the road. Yeah, it stuck to the pavement like glue, as long as the road was flat anyway, otherwise the rear end would step out and your kidneys would get a massage. In the end, they could never attract enough buyers to the Camaro and Firebird to match Ford and it was time to ditch the design. I?m not sure if they could ever be revived. SUVs and sedans are what sell now. Even the sport coupe market is all but gone with the Celica bowing out and Eclipse sales in the tank.

the Sales are not dismal just the morons at Pontiac sent over 50% of the cars to the northern states like that press release said...
we have peeps on waiting lists down here for the damn car...
paying 10k over sticker to get one..
Ive seen 2 in Houston I met one girl at Metallica concert that was driving one and she said she waited 8 months to get hers and payed premium for it and the dealer wasnt expecting hardly anymore..
If Pontiac would learn where the Muscle car market is.. down here in the South Mustangs Corvettes firebirds galore driven year round and peeps trying to buy GTOs but they are all up north..
they would have a solid product.

Horus

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2003
Originally posted by: AmigaMan
I just wish Toyota would bring back the Supra. They need something to compete against the 350z. It would probably stand up well against the mustang as well, but then again, it would cost a lot more.

If they wanna have something that'll sell like wildfire, and be a good car, bring back the 2 door RWD Corolla with a turbocharged engine.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Mustangs aren't about sophistication - they're about the American pony-car tradition.

Cheap, reliable, with some go.

350z and all it's defunct brothers were about the asian/european sports-car tradition. More expensive, sophisticated, better handling, usually slower in a straight line.

The competition isn't direct - if you want a tight track-car, you would need to spend every penny the mustang saved you on suspension upgrades; if you want a fun car for the street (read: fun without needing to risk your license just to enjoy the suspension setup) then the mustang and former camaro-nird are great choices.

They 'might' compete for some of the same buyers, but they aren't really in the same market segment.

As for corvettes, I don't think anything on the road competes with them, though I don't know why no one seem to make a 2-door that can hang with the 'vette for less than double its price. I guess it's the same pony-car thing though - the interior of a ferrari/lotus etc might be worth 10-20 grand more than the one in a 'vette in materials cost alone.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Insurance on any of those V8 cars is going to be a b!tch for those who can afford them. I would think the insurance problem would knock more than half of the potential customers (young, single males) off the list.