Why don't NBA teams run the full-court press the entire game?

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
It seems to be it's a pretty good defensive strategy... why don't teams do it all game long?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i wondered that myself. But then i remember i'm watching basketball and i do not really care who wins.

EmperorIQ

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2003
they should condition their players so that they can full court press all the time!
(sarcasm)

Pretty Cool

Jan 20, 2000
Too tiring is part of it, but the main reason is that NBA guards can can actually dribble and pass. This full court pressure stuff only works when your opponents have bad guards. Almost all teams could break the press. Once that happens, you end give them mismatches on the end that would probably end up in a layup. Furthermore, there are so few good players in the NBA that you take a risk of getting them in foul trouble on plays 50 feet from the basket.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
1. Too tiring.
2. Too many fouls.
3. Salary cap and player roster restrictions.

College can have 25-30 players no biggie to full court press the whole game. Pros get 12? Or can afford 12? Plus pro are paid to entertain not work.

<---prefers college ball

KevinH

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2000
Pretty Cool - Hit the nail right on the ehad. WAY too many good ball handlers in the NBa. Boston Celtics tried it when Pitino got there....that's probably the most recent example. They were consistently one of the worse defensive teams in the league. NBA guards can break the press with ease. Watch a game when a press is thrown out. Guard dribbles down middle, hits open guy at free throw line for a jumper or passes to big man for an easy layup. Coaches will sometimes throw out a press just to give a different look or to attack a team with particularly bad ball handlers. Without exception, those are the only two reasons a press would be used in the NBA.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
then who's gonna hit the clutch shot at the end? 6th string?

what happens in OT?
what happens on nights you gotta play back to back?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: BCYL
It seems to be it's a pretty good defensive strategy... why don't teams do it all game long?

because either way they are getting paid the same ...

i hate the NBA, college bball is so much better ... they actually care if they win or not, unlike in the NBA.