Why don't more kitchens have air conditioners?

Mar 15, 2003
I've noticed that everyone I know prefers to use fancy ventilation systems in their kitchen (or none at all) instead of just using air conditioners - why is that? Is it the fear that the filters will be clogged up with grease? Kitchens are by far the most torterous room in an apartment but most (in nyc at least) are very poorly ventilated.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Cost (AC in high temp areas is retardedly expensive).

Function - most things that need refridgerated are already refridereated. Everything else is supposed to be hot/warm. If you have a cold AC blower over the top of your hot plate of food, it's not going to be a hot plate of food for very long. Warm kitchens keep hot food warm longer.

That and I think that many chefs are self hating in nature and enjoy the misery. :p

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I don't really know what you're talking about. A ventilation system has a different purpose than an air conditioner.

Air conditioners are used to cool down a room and to remove moisture.

Kitchen ventilation systems are to remove smoke/odor. This has different requirements (large volume of air to move, but not the cooling/dehumidifying) than the AC.

clickynext

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2004
It's not a great idea to have one source of intense heat and another trying to take away heat in the same room at the same time.

ppdes

May 16, 2004
Is air conditioning needed anywhere in this state? I've lived in NY for 26 years, never had it where I live, and never missed it. Maybe air conditioning is just added piecemeal for the old and infirm and whatever, so doesn't get added to kitchens much.

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by: ppdes
Is air conditioning needed anywhere in this state? I've lived in NY for 26 years, never had it where I live, and never missed it. Maybe air conditioning is just added piecemeal for the old and infirm and whatever, so doesn't get added to kitchens much.

Originally posted by: Vonkhan
I do fine w/o airconditioning

¡Imposible!

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: ppdes
I lived in Kingston for six months last year and it got up to around 100 degrees. That's good AC weather.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Seriously though -
I don't have central air.
I do have a kitchen.
I don't have an air conditioner in the kitchen.
My reason for not having an air conditioner in the kitchen is that it is the room that I spend the least time in.
I have air conditioners in my study (where my computers and TV are) and my bedroom, because those are relatively small rooms that I spend the majority of my time in.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: clickynext
It's not a great idea to have one source of intense heat and another trying to take away heat in the same room at the same time.

Right, so a room filled with heat producing servers should have a fireplace instead?

:confused:

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
If you are hot and must stay in the galley I suggest you have an air curtain with a large evaporator installed where you are working. Nothing like a 30mph blast of 55F air on your head. :D

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: feralkid
Originally posted by: clickynext

Right, so a room filled with heat producing servers should have a fireplace instead?

Right because another name for kitchen is a room filled with servers.