Why don't I invest in stocks when I know they are great deals?

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I picked AMD as a fantastic investment at $14 -- now $31. I picked Home Depot when it was languishing in the thirties -- now in fifties. Saw UPS as a decent investment, and it's up, too.

Oh, and the answer to my question is, I don't have any money to spare!

stonerdave

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2000
i think i remember seeing your post in a stock market rant last fall. i had considered buying amd the summer before they came out with the athlon (june 1999). i had no prev experience in the stock market, it just seemed like a pretty good bargain from an underdog with a breakthrough chip it was set to release. because of my lack of experience i decided not to pick it up.

it managed to go up about 6x or so over the next year, which needless to say really bothered me!

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
At least my Dad was able to take advantage of the AMD tip -- he has a fair sized chunk of stock purchased at about $20. He claimed he was going to kick me some money when he sells, but we'll see about that. ;)

colossus

Lifer
Dec 2, 2000
I love my Symantec (SYMC). I initially bought 300 @ 45ish, but when it dropped to 29 I hoarded it up. Gotta love it sitting pretty at 68 today. Sold off most of it, waiting for another analyst "sell" rating. God I hate them!

For those who want a "hot" tip, check this company out. KOSP. I never worked directly for them, but did some drugs studies using a couple of their drugs at a VA hospital before med school. They make Niaspan which is the only time release niacin drug that raises your HDL. No other drug on the market raises HDL with the efficacy of Niaspan. The company plans to have Niaspan approved with Lovastatin which went off patent.

It should be the first statin in a long time to take on the king - Lipitor (Atorvastatin). From the results I saw in the drug study I say Niaspan works wonders. The American Heart meeting 2 years ago showed the benefits of raising HDL in the HIT study (which I was also part of). And just 2 days ago the National Cholesterol Education Panel (NCEP) guidelines were updated for the fist time in 10 years and recommended an increase in HDL. Finally doctors have to acknowledge the benefits of HDL as cardioprotective.

Sorry to babble, but to a med student it looks interesting. Anyway, chekc out the company. KOSP. Can't make any guarantees of it's performance. It's still losing money right now, but should post a profit by the end of the year hopefully. I bought this stock all over the place, 34, 20, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 3, and then again at 10. It's now rebounded to 25. If it pulls through it's my million dollar stock as I have my IRA packed with it :) High risk, high potential!

xyyz

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000

<<
For those who want a &quot;hot&quot; tip, check this company out. KOSP. I never worked directly for them, but did some drugs studies using a couple of their drugs at a VA hospital before med school. They make Niaspan which is the only time release niacin drug that raises your HDL. No other drug on the market raises HDL with the efficacy of Niaspan. The company plans to have Niaspan approved with Lovastatin which went off patent.
>>

you didn't work at the VA in Long Beach did you?