Why doesn't Uber just raise prices?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Haven't used Lyft yet even though I have the app on my phone. Only because I am old and I know how to use Uber. I'd guess Lyft is the same. Uber to our favorite Restaurant/bar is like 8 bucks with tip. Can't beat that vs a DUI.
One thing I will say is most Uber drivers can't drive for shit. I hate coming up behind them in traffic.

On the contrary, Uber drivers are pretty scrupulous about obeying the rules of the road. Jack-rabbit starts and stops, speeding, running caution lights, etc will get you flagged pretty quickly. They work hard to be as smooth and non-dramatic as possible. THAT is what you're noticing. We're pretty used to drivers gunning it through every intersection, driving 10mph over the limit, rolling stops and other things that are all technically illegal, but generally allowed. What stands out is somebody who doesn't do those things, who obeys speed limits, who stops on the yellow, who comes to a complete stop. They're actually driving better, or at least more within the strict laws, than the rest of us are. So they look like idiots.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Haven't used Lyft yet even though I have the app on my phone. Only because I am old and I know how to use Uber. I'd guess Lyft is the same. Uber to our favorite Restaurant/bar is like 8 bucks with tip. Can't beat that vs a DUI.
One thing I will say is most Uber drivers can't drive for shit. I hate coming up behind them in traffic.

They are very similar and I've used both.

In my area however there are more Uber drivers then Lyft so the wait is usually a bit less for Uber, but most of the time it does cost more.

And on-topic, the only real advantage ride-share's have over cabs around here is price ... big taxi co in area even has an app.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I prefer Lyft because they were the first to allow in app tipping. I always tip.

Like one driver told me you don't have to go broke tipping even a little helps! (No not cents lol)

Nov 8, 2012
what on gods green earth are those 12 thousand people doing?

HR / Business / Accounting / Tax / R&D / Customer Service / Credit & Collections / Marketing / Sales to Distribution / Procure to Pay / Inventory / Manufacturing / <Insert any other standard department>

Business is a more worthwhile degree than people make it out to be with the whole STEM hard-on ;)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
HR / Business / Accounting / Tax / R&D / Customer Service / Credit & Collections / Marketing / Sales to Distribution / Procure to Pay / Inventory / Manufacturing / <Insert any other standard department>

Business is a more worthwhile degree than people make it out to be with the whole STEM hard-on ;)

ok you know how I know you arent paying attention to the conversation?