Why doesn't Saddam want to disarm?!

VBboy

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
I really don't get it.

Why doesn't Saddam want to disarm ?!
If he doesn't have those weapons, he should be able and willing to present documents to prove it. And if he has those weapons, why doesn't he just destroy them or hand them over to US?

Why does he need those weapons? He doesn't even defend his own people, nor does he seem to want to take over the world. So wtf is his deal?!

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Why did Hitler enjoying killing jews and gypsies?

some people are just so farked in the head there is no rational explanation for their behavior.

VBboy

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Ok, but what's the official explanation?

Did the US ever ask him WHY he wants to have those weapons?

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Originally posted by: VBboy

Doubt he could give a lucid, reasonable explanation.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

Because he has a small jimmy and is suffering from an inferiority complex?

hagbard

Banned
Nov 30, 2000
I really don't get it.

If he doesn't have those weapons, he should be able and willing to present documents to prove it. And if he has those weapons, why doesn't he just destroy them or hand them over to US?

Why does he need those weapons? He doesn't even defend his own people, nor does he seem to want to take over the world. So wtf is his deal?!

Their explanation is that the UN demanded that they destroy their biological and chemical weapons, and they did so when they were asked to do it. Unfortunately, they did it without UN observers, before they decided to form inspection teams. Hence, when the inspectors arrived, the weapons were already destroyed. Do I believe them? About as much as I would believe anything the Bush administration says.

Trezza

Sep 18, 2002

Saddam's reason for having those weapon's was released in Iraqi Weekly "I don't won't fire them, they just are cute and I like to look at them."

Come on VBBoy why do you think he wants them!

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: hagbard
I really don't get it.

Their explanation is that the UN demanded that they destroy their biological and chemical weapons, and they did so when they were asked to do it. Unfortunately, they did it without UN observers, before they decided to form inspection teams. Hence, when the inspectors arrived, the weapons were already destroyed. Do I believe them? About as much as I would believe anything the Bush administration says.

So what do you do when the Bush administration says that Saddam has WMD and Saddam says that he doesnt?

Novgrod

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2001
According to i think Cohen's editorial in the wash post (which i find myself quoting to the exclusion of everything) Hussein sees himself as a new Saladin. Scary crap.

Agh, now I have to run and look it up

In a way, Bush is as trapped as his nemesis, Saddam Hussein. The Iraqi dictator cannot give up his weapons of mass destruction, because without them he is just another Middle East despot -- not the modern-day Saladin he once proclaimed he was. He would be perceived as weak -- a terminal illness in his part of the world -- and lacking the very weapons he credits with forcing the Americans to pause on the so-called Highway of Death during the Gulf War and leave him in power.

And if Hussein cannot do an about-face, neither can Bush, who has sent an expeditionary force halfway around the world. He can neither let it sit in the desert, its energy and morale being sapped, nor accept some sort of compromise deal that would bring it home. He has laid out his case in the boldest, clearest language: Hussein and his weapons of mass destruction must go. Anything less would make Bush look like a temporizer and America a blowhard. War is inevitable.

full details here: washpost

Seriously, if everybody read the washington post every morning then they could be pseudo-pedants just like Your Humble Servant.

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
Ask yourself, this question. Why does the US not want to disarm?

cuz we're the good guys! GO U.S.A! GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!GO U.S.A!

/sarcasm

Reliant

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001

That is what I was going to say.
Also, look at NK, we know they have weapons and look at how much room we are giving them, having such weapons requires a certain level
of respect and countries are much less likely to attack if they know you have any WMD.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: FoBoT
Originally posted by: VBboy Why doesn't Saddam want to disarm ?!
um, he wants to use the weapons to destroy US and Israel and any of our allies?

Now,

A) How could he destroy the US?

B) How would he survive the attempt?

VBboy

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Novgrod
According to i think Cohen's editorial in the wash post (which i find myself quoting to the exclusion of everything) Hussein sees himself as a new Saladin. Scary crap.

Agh, now I have to run and look it up

In a way, Bush is as trapped as his nemesis, Saddam Hussein. The Iraqi dictator cannot give up his weapons of mass destruction, because without them he is just another Middle East despot -- not the modern-day Saladin he once proclaimed he was. He would be perceived as weak -- a terminal illness in his part of the world -- and lacking the very weapons he credits with forcing the Americans to pause on the so-called Highway of Death during the Gulf War and leave him in power.

And if Hussein cannot do an about-face, neither can Bush, who has sent an expeditionary force halfway around the world. He can neither let it sit in the desert, its energy and morale being sapped, nor accept some sort of compromise deal that would bring it home. He has laid out his case in the boldest, clearest language: Hussein and his weapons of mass destruction must go. Anything less would make Bush look like a temporizer and America a blowhard. War is inevitable.

full details here: washpost

Seriously, if everybody read the washington post every morning then they could be pseudo-pedants just like Your Humble Servant.

Awesome. Thanks!

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

We don't won't fire them, they just are cute and we like to look at them.

VBboy

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Zakath15

We don't won't fire them, they just are cute and we like to look at them.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "don't won't". Do you mean "don't want to"?

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

Now,

A) How could he destroy the US?

B) How would he survive the attempt?

Exactly...he wants to give them to people so that they can smuggle it over and kill alot of civilians, preferably defenseless women and children.

hagbard

Banned
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
Originally posted by: hagbard
I really don't get it.

So what do you do when the Bush administration says that Saddam has WMD and Saddam says that he doesnt?

Okay...in my opinion:

I'm very suspicious of the Bush administration regarding Iraq. There are plenty of nasty dictators out there with so-called "weapons of mass destruction", the US isn't focusing on them (yet, anyway). They are focusing on Iraq. Why? The obvious answer is that Iraq is sitting on the world's second largest known supply of oil.

But I think it goes way beyond that - the oil is a means to an end. Iraq represents a substantial threat to Israel. It appears that the US is engaging in a proxy war on behalf of the State of Israel. What some neocons would term "westernization" with the end objective to westernize (neutralize?) the mideast. If you read the press, you'll find lots of hints to that effect, but few who state it outright.

My bet is on their plans failing. It will result in serious consquences for the United States and its allies (terrorism, loss of individual rights and privacy, actual use of true weapons of mass destruction (nuclear exchange). Moreover, it could result in a new super-power to challege the US domination. The US is on a dangerous road.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
WMD are obviously good. We aren't attacking North Korea.

That is because China is right next to them and China would not look too kindly to American troops waging a war on their border.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Why on earth would he want to is the real question. There is not a single motivation that I can think of to disarm.

As has been said above - think about if a large country (think USSR in the 80s) demanded that the US disarm? Would we? Could we?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Now, A) How could he destroy the US? B) How would he survive the attempt?
Exactly...he wants to give them to people so that they can smuggle it over and kill alot of civilians, preferably defenseless women and children.

Sounds good, to bad it has no supporting evidence.

Look how fearful people are. You want to attack Saddam because you associate him with a completely different villian, Bin Laden. If Bin Laden had not attacked we would not even be discussing this. If an attack occurred, the blood that would flow in Iraq would be trememdous, and certainly Saddams would be in the mix.

Saddam knows what it is to lose. He cannot win, so he will choose survival. You HOPE someone attacks, in order to justify an attack of ours perhaps?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
That is because China is right next to them and China would not look too kindly to American troops waging a war on their border.
-----------------
Really, Nitemare? And why would we worry about China?