Why does Valve website have Half-Life 3 logo?

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I see it...

txJcIUN.jpg

Link to image

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Might be a fake website. Is valves website valvesoftware.com or Valve.software

Edit. Yep. Valvesoftware.com is the real site. Impressive fake though.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
That video is total click bait nonsense, lmao at "Sources".

Leo Laporte, love him or hate him, knows lots of folks including some at Valve. He made a passing but direct comment a few weeks ago on one of his podcasts that a source at Valve told him HL3 was never going to happen.

Valve could put an end to it if they wanted to by making a definitive statement, they have not. HL3 is dead.

-KeithP

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
We're beating this dead horse again? Half Life 3 is never going to happen. Period. Gabe has all but confirmed it's dead.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
We're beating this dead horse again? Half Life 3 is never going to happen. Period. Gabe has all but confirmed it's dead.

Which is a HUGE mistake on Valve's part. They could literally use the Source engine and focus on texture details, plot, weapons, etc. and still come out with a game that will be AT LEAST mildly loved. Hell, throw in the Portal gun for an interesting cross-over that will draw some fans in.

Yes, I know the Source engine is horribly dated, but it would still be better than nothing and it at least looks decent enough for a game that's focused on story.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Which is a HUGE mistake on Valve's part. They could literally use the Source engine and focus on texture details, plot, weapons, etc. and still come out with a game that will be AT LEAST mildly loved. Hell, throw in the Portal gun for an interesting cross-over that will draw some fans in.

Yes, I know the Source engine is horribly dated, but it would still be better than nothing and it at least looks decent enough for a game that's focused on story.
Nah HL us their livig golden goose. A life line for when times get tough. Dont want to just use it all willy nilly.

Alas i got excited reading OP :(

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
To be honest I still can't fathom why they didn't just finish their originally-intended trilogy of Episodes BEFORE shutting down the entire episodic content concept altogether basically overnight. They took the time and resources to actually not only make E1, but they followed it with E2 as well, which speaks volume; to me it means that the episodic stuff in and of itself wasn't a problem (yet) during E1's development. So whatever happened internally must have (well, that's how I see it) happened either during E2's development or after.

Also, why Episodic content to start with? Shorter development time? Faster delivery of games to the consum- excuse me * clears throat * I mean gamers? The whole concept of episodic content was supposed to allow the devs to NOT stress themselves to the bones with very intensive four or five years-long projects such as it had just happened with Half-Life 2 which apparently burned them down enough for them to agree upon said Episodic Content concept to start with. Was the concept / idea itself actually bad? Was it... financially nonviable? Perhaps? Thing is Valve never spoke about it... s'not like we'd bite them if they "revealed" it? If it was mainly about money, then why bothering with Episode Two? Why not realizing they should have stopped after Episode One instead? Or maybe they were essentially developing E1 and E2 "back to back" and couldn't just stop the whole thing and basically "had to" release E2 despite their realization that the whole thing would come down to a crash?

The most important question for me isn't why Valve essentially doesn't "want to" make HL3 (or Episode 3), but more about the why, the REAL original why; what in the great bloody heck actually happened at Valve, internally, right after Episode Two was released? What makes it such a mystery to me is that Episode Two was GREAT (and as far as I can remember wasn't a financial disaster for Valve, and was the definitive Half-Life experience since the original in 1998) and its absolutely virtually-perfect cliffhanger ending just left us wanting for more. Remember? The "wanting for more" part wasn't actually "somewhere out there as a possibility" in air at the time, like an unknown, because back then we KNEW (I.E. were convinced, because never told otherwise by the devs themselves) that we'd get the "last" Episode that would conclude at least something very important within the Half-Life's world and lore (also, the "One" and "Two" after "Episode" on both titles were kind of a giveaway that "something else" would come after "Two"... just saying Valve). It was never actually announced after Episode Two that we'd never get to see "the rest", we simply...waited... and waited (hey Valve, side note, that's what happens when you don't ANNOUNCE stuff officially, people wait).

What Valve did with Half-Life was to basically just let a franchise, an IP rot over the years into the abyss of our forgotten memories. At this point in time I am usually only reminded that the Half-Life series even exists from A) myself when I actually feel like replaying the original for the millionth time, or B) from forum threads that pop out here and there in which people ask about whatever happened to Half-Life 3.

I'll tell you guys what happened with Half-Life 3: Valve.

Last edited:

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
Zenoth - I can think of several reasons - Valve itself isn't a game studio anymore - they become a platform and publisher which makes them far; far more money. Their last real release - actual inhouse game they created and didn't buy the team that created the game or game that was already being made; or re skinned sequel of a game.

Everything else - other studies made; Valve published them bought to studios; Portal, Portal 2 *left over levels that didn't make it into Portal and more polish* Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2 *slight updated textures and reskinned L4D* DOTA 2 ...

That was Half Life Esp 2 - they need to do Esp 3 before they will do Half Life 3...

But they've announced Left 4 Dead 3 - that will be first real game since 2007; after that we might see esp 3....and that's a big; big might