why does this make me happy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I'm no expert but whenever a company loses 25% of its customers, whatever the reason, it is not good.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I'm no expert but whenever a company loses 25% of its customers, whatever the reason, it is not good.

It really depends. Given the "Reason" that they are proposing as the cause of the attrition, it could very well have been part of the original projected model. In which case, they were anticipating that volumes would drop after the initial free offering period. This isn't that uncommon.

But if it was not predicted in the initial business model, someone is on the hotplate. Wouldn't want to be that guy.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
It makes me happy because it is yet another nail in the coffin of the MMORPG archetype that has existed since the first EQ and popularized by WoW. Gamers are getting tired of spending $15/mo on the same gameplay just dressed up in a different setting. I played in some of the SWTOR beta weekends and that alone bored me and prevented me from wasting $60.

They need to develop something different. The current model that most MMORPGs use is tired and stale. Blizzard's Titan project claims to do that, but we'll have to wait and see.

Yep this.

I'm personally looking forward to PS2 because it's pretty much the only persistent MMO which differs from this formula to any significant degree.