Why does the US forbid Iran from developing nuclear weapons?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
If the Saudis are willing to enter a nuclear arms race, you know people have to be panicked about what we are committing to enable.

With all due respect to this country s people who are not responsible for their leaders misbehavings, it would be like a bunch of monkeys threatening to go nuclear...

That s all talks, they have not the slightest enginering capability, the only nearby countries that would have some readily available adequate human ressources to start such programs are Egypt, and eventualy Algeria but they are far from the ME.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
With all due respect to this country s people who are not responsible for their leaders misbehavings, it would be like a bunch of monkeys threatening to go nuclear...

That s all talks, they have not the slightest enginering capability, the only nearby countries that would have some readily available adequate human ressources to start such programs are Egypt, and eventualy Algeria but they are far from the ME.

Egypt has called for a joint Arab Military, so having Egypt go nuclear first would make a lot of sense based on what you're saying. From there the Saudis could buy the tech, if they don't already get it from a more available source.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Iranian defector: The US negotiating team are mainly there to speak on Iran’s behalf.

Seems the deal struck between Obama and Iran needs to be sold to the world.
If the Saudis are willing to enter a nuclear arms race, you know people have to be panicked about what we are committing to enable.

Amazing spin on that. The truth is that we pushed for sanctions & so forth, not the other parties in the negotiations. Beyond our enduring hostility since their revolution, the whole regimen is the result of Bush Admin policy in the wake of 9/11. They refused to negotiate, preferring to maintain as many boogeymen as possible for domestic political purposes. Their allies follow in the same vein. They still need boogeymen, always will.

How well has that policy served us in general? In Iraq? In Afghanistan? Has it accomplished what they said it would? Why would we continue to believe that it serves us any better wrt Iran?

Reality says that we won't attack Iran unless it can be shown that they are producing weapons grade material. Nor will Israel, despite the bluster. Reality also says that Iran will continue to produce LEU under IAEA supervision and will continue with reactor deployment.

An agreement between the parties would merely formalize the terms of existing reality.

What underlies all the naysaying is continuing belief in the idea that we can & somehow should induce regime change in Iran 37 years after their revolution. Obviously that won't happen. It sure as Hell won't happen over their nuclear power program which enjoys almost universal popularity among the People. Bomb that & they'll follow their leaders through the gates of Hell to defend it.

Nov 30, 2006
I saw this on Chris Wallace's show yesterday and thought it was interesting. The timing of the "Death To America" statement by Khameni was interesting as well.

what-our-dealings-with-Iran-and-Saudi-Arabia-look-like.png

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
I saw this on Chris Wallace's show yesterday and thought it was interesting. The timing of the "Death To America" statement by Khameni was interesting as well.

The essential is missing in this pic, that is a huge square with the mentions "lots of oil + busine$$$$"....

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

I didn't realize Chris Wallace had Glen Beck do his charts.

Death to America? If you think we've done a great job of demonizing them, they may have done us one better-

Our people say "Death to America," and this is like saying "I seek God's refuge from the accursed Satan," which is recited before any chapter of the Koran, even before "In the name of Allah the Compassionate, the Merciful." Why is this? So the believer will never forget, even for a moment, the presence of Satan. So he will never forget, even for a moment, that Satan is ready to attack him and to destroy his spiritual shield and is faith... The saying "Death to America" is for this purpose.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Ali_Khamenei

We're the Devil incarnate. Christian fundies undoubtedly believe the same about them.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Why does the US forbid Iran from developing nuclear weapons?

For the same reason the UN, the other countries in the M.E. and the rest of the world does.

It ain't just us, contrary to the implication in your thread title.

Fern

Nov 30, 2006
I didn't realize Chris Wallace had Glen Beck do his charts.
Is the chart factually wrong or does it inaccurately depict the current situation in some way? There's obviously something that bothers you about this chart...what is it? Facts?

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Algeria could produce nuclear weapons and is powerful compared to the Saudi Arabians, Egyptians, Emerites, Qataris, and Bahrainis?

That s not what i said, Algeria is a poor country compared to all mentioned countries set apart Egypt, but contrary to the gulf nations they have very good scientists in nuclear matters and in any other domain, so they have the capability on a mid term it s just that they have a lot of other issues that are much more urgent.

http://www.iaea.org/NuclearPower/Do...5-21-05-24-TM-NPTD/day-1/8.algeria-meftah.pdf

The nuclearisation plan above although supposed to start in 5 years will not see the day of light before 20 years according to my experience of this country s bureaucratic administration...

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
That s not what i said, Algeria is a poor country compared to all mentioned countries set apart Egypt, but contrary to the gulf nations they have very good scientists in nuclear matters and in any other domain, so they have the capability on a mid term it s just that they have a lot of other issues that are much more urgent. http://www.iaea.org/NuclearPower/Dow...ria-meftah.pdf The nuclearisation plan above although supposed to start in 5 years will not see the day of light before 20 years according to my experience of this country s bureaucratic administration...

Some poor country full of corrupt crony oligarchy and massive problems with Jihadist insurgencies is producing nuclear weapons?

How could this shit ever start turning into some fucking catastrophe?

Last edited:

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
However it does look like your information is actually correct so thankyou good sir.

The territory of today's Algeria was the home of many prehistoric cultures, including Aterian and Capsian and the Proto-Berber cultures. Its area has known many empires and dynasties, including ancient Numidians, Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Romans, Vandals, Byzantines, Umayyads, Abbasids, Fatimids, Hammadids, Almoravids, Almohads, Ottomans and the French colonial empire. In recent decades, Algeria has experienced increased identity recognition demands, in response to which, Tamazight, the language of their 13,000 year old people, has been constitutionalized as a national language. Algeria is a semi-presidential republic consisting of 48 provinces and 1541 communes. With a population of 39.5 million, it is the 33rd most populated country on Earth. Abdelaziz Bouteflika has been the President of Algeria since 1999 and has won four consecutive elections.

Algeria's economy is largely based on hydrocarbons, due to which manufacturing has suffered from Dutch disease.[11] The country supplies large amounts of natural gas to Europe, and energy exports are the backbone of the economy. According to OPEC Algeria has the 17th largest reserves of oil in the world, and the second largest in Africa, while it has the 9th largest reserves of natural gas. Sonatrach, the national oil company, is the largest company in Africa.

Algeria has the second largest military in North Africa with the largest defence budget in Africa.[12] Algeria has had a peaceful nuclear program since the 1990s.[13] Algeria is a member of the African Union, the Arab League, OPEC, and the United Nations, and is a founding member of the Arab Maghreb Union.