Why does the US forbid Iran from developing nuclear weapons?

gryphus

Feb 28, 2015
After all, the US, Russia, China, Israel, Pakistan, France, England, etc., etc, have nuclear weapons. How can any nations forbid Iran having nuclear weapons unless all nations disarm?
Is it hypocrisy? Or is there legal justification?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
After all, the US, Russia, China, Israel, Pakistan, France, England, etc., etc, have nuclear weapons. How can any nations forbid Iran having nuclear weapons unless all nations disarm?

Because Iran signed the Non Proliferation treaty with the UN in exchange for what was supposed to be help in creating nuclear power.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Because they're our enemy?

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I don't understand the argument the OP is making. Because we have nukes means anyone "should" be able to get them due to fairness?

<Little Girl Whiny Voice>But! Its not fair!</Little Girl Whiny Voice>

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Because you've had that drilled into your head by decades of propaganda?

Yeah. All of our friendly nations chant " Death To America " during political speeches by their leaders which go along with it...

They shouldn't be allowed to have nuclear weapons because they have fanatical beliefs for the most part as a country and they are being lead by a dictator that is crazy enough to use them for political and religious reasons.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

USA + USSR were both large, highly intelligent super powers with everything to lose... and we SERIOUSLY risked ending the planet on several occasions. Proliferation will only end one way, via the detonation of nuclear weapons.

At some point we either accept that detonation, or we use all available FORCE to prevent that from happening.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
USA + USSR were both large, highly intelligent super powers with everything to lose... and we SERIOUSLY risked ending the planet on several occasions. Proliferation will only end one way, via the detonation of nuclear weapons.

At some point we either accept that detonation, or we use all available FORCE to prevent that from happening.

In order to use force, we'd need to have something more than the propaganda of known liars, the Bush Admin & their allies. If the IAEA can provide certainty wrt inspections, there's no need for force. It's real simple- no weapons grade materials, no weapons.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
There are too many nuclear weapons already. That's the primary reason to stop anyone else from developing them. Instead we should be working to eliminate the ones currently existing.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
There's fear Iran would retaliate against the US for all the crap we've done to them. We overthrew their elected government in the 1950s and installed a dictator up until the Iranian revolution. Then we imposed sanctions on Iran to cripple their economy.

Most other countries don't have a problem with Iran. Most other countries don't have a problem with Cuba either. If you ever go to Cuba, you'll meet thousands of Canadians, Norwegians, Swedes, Germans, etc on vacation.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
move along...nothing to see here!! Just a troll doing what trolls do.....

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
move along...nothing to see here!! Just a troll doing what trolls do.....

I'd like to hear why you think he's trolling. Seems more like your comment is the trollish one.

He has a good point that I've always wondered. What allows us to dictate to another country if they can have nuclear weapons? What legal, moral or logical rational do we have? It makes it worse when Israel, who is in that region, has undeclared Nuclear weapons and hasn't signed the NPT. This is the kind of double standard I can see a lot of people who "hate" us in the ME can latch onto.

Now I'm not arguing that Iran should get Nuclear weapons or be allowed to have Nuclear weapons. But I am willing to call it hypocrisy as well, even though I agree with it.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Because Iran signed the Non Proliferation treaty with the UN in exchange for what was supposed to be help in creating nuclear power.

Maybe but the idea that some countries have a right to nuclear weapons but other countries do not without any differences in conduct is pure bullshit.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
I don't understand the argument the OP is making. Because we have nukes means anyone "should" be able to get them due to fairness?

Maybe more like you can support the right of Iran to have nuclear weapons or you do not support any right for them to own nuclear weapons. But if you think Iran or any other country does not have the right to own nuclear weapons then you need to apply that principle to all countries.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
He has a good point that I've always wondered. What allows us to dictate to another country if they can have nuclear weapons? What legal, moral or logical rational do we have? It makes it worse when Israel, who is in that region, has undeclared Nuclear weapons and hasn't signed the NPT. This is the kind of double standard I can see a lot of people who "hate" us in the ME can latch onto.

This.