Why does the i3-8100 feel so slow, relatively-speaking? My R5 1600 under heavy load still spanks it.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Winner! Still not 100% as responsive as Ryzen, but noticeably better overall.

Weird, that my G4560 / G4600-based Deskmini rigs don't really have that issue.
Edit: I think that I have "Speed Shift" enabled on my DeskMini units.

Edit: I didn't see "Speed Shift" in the 1.20 UEFI of my ASRock Z370 ITX/ac, so I flashed (Internet Flash) the newest BIOS, which was UEFI 1.90, with the ME fix.

Then I discovered it was in a different menu tree than I thought it was. So it could have been there before.

Anyways, it defaults to Enabled.

I set my Windows 10 Power Plan back to Balanced.

Responsiveness seemed better than without SS, with Balanced plan, but not quite as good as "High Performance" power plan, regardless of SS setting. Which I guess makes sense?

Edit: Oh yeah, on Gigabit wired LAN now. (Not sure that it makes all that much difference, my internet connection right now is 15/2.)

At least your plugged into the wall. My battery life does suffer a bit I'd imagine. I really haven't played around to see if it's the iGPU or just the low clocks under light loads. I do have a GTX 1060 6 GB that only fires up under gaming loads by default. Maybe later today I'll enable it and go back to the balanced plan and see if it exhibits the same behavior. I'm leaning more toward the iGPU being the underlying issue as I've never had the issue before when running desktop heavily overclocked rigs that would throttle down without heavy loads, but never used the iGPU in any of those rigs I've had in the past.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Winner! Still not 100% as responsive as Ryzen, but noticeably better overall.

Weird, that my G4560 / G4600-based Deskmini rigs don't really have that issue.
Edit: I think that I have "Speed Shift" enabled on my DeskMini units.

Edit: I didn't see "Speed Shift" in the 1.20 UEFI of my ASRock Z370 ITX/ac, so I flashed (Internet Flash) the newest BIOS, which was UEFI 1.90, with the ME fix.

Then I discovered it was in a different menu tree than I thought it was. So it could have been there before.

Anyways, it defaults to Enabled.

I set my Windows 10 Power Plan back to Balanced.

Responsiveness seemed better than without SS, with Balanced plan, but not quite as good as "High Performance" power plan, regardless of SS setting. Which I guess makes sense?

Edit: Oh yeah, on Gigabit wired LAN now. (Not sure that it makes all that much difference, my internet connection right now is 15/2.)

Interesting. A while back I was having similar issues with my i5-5200 laptop (web browsing and typing text was laggy), and after changing the power plan I stopped having those issues. Battery life suffered of course.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Interesting. A while back I was having similar issues with my i5-5200 laptop (web browsing and typing text was laggy), and after changing the power plan I stopped having those issues. Battery life suffered of course.
Yeah, I think that you guys are on to something here. There was a definite improvement in responsiveness by setting the power plan to "High Performance".

Reactions: Herr Kutz