Why does the GOP condone its association with racism?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
"Extreme"... Ever heard of it?

Are you honestly arguing that Republicans as a whole are evil and that Democrats are just saints? This is pretty sad if you really think these things.

-GP

In an election year, Republicans think Democrats are evil and wrong for the country and Democrats think Republicans are evil and wrong for the country... while each believes themselves to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

SS,DD.

*yawn*

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Stupidity is rarely motivated to do much. So I'm curious what the people claiming birthers are just stupid think motivated them originally and continues to motivate them now?

Is it righteousness? Fear? Profit?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Stupidity is rarely motivated to do much. So I'm curious what the people claiming birthers are just stupid think motivated them originally and continues to motivate them now?

Is it righteousness? Fear? Profit?

I think it is them having a problem with Obama admitting he was a Kenyan prior to wanting to be President. Obama needs to come out and just admit he lied back then for personal gain and be done with it.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
No, in my world, the real world, there is no if he's from Africa.

So if people didn't like his policies and seized on a nationality issue, what country wouldn't qualify as being racist?

I have inlaws who did the birther thing and couldn't be reasoned with. They don't like the Dems and hate Obamas policies. They were hoping to find an out to get rid of him. Sorry but that is not a definition of racist, which they aren't.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
When did he admit it?

You mean here:

http://www.politifact.com/rhode-isl...-sends-readers-youtube-video-where-obama-adm/

No no, you said before he wanted to be president. The book bio perhaps?

Also, since you are ascribing motive, what did he gain?

Why did you leave your own mistake up in the thread? Is it so that we can see it takes you quite some time to be able to understand an easy word such as "before"?

He gained the "look how worldly I am, you should trust me because of that" position. Really, not a hard concept to understand.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
In an election year, Republicans think Democrats are evil and wrong for the country and Democrats think Republicans are evil and wrong for the country... while each believes themselves to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

SS,DD.

*yawn*

Yea and it is sad to be honest. We have 2 parties (and others) all trying to do the best they can for this country but have different methods for doing it. Yet all I get to hear about as a citizen is sensationalized twisted/warped "facts" about how the other party is pure evil. It's just sad...

Honestly, if a candidate just ran that was honest and respectful all around, I think he/she would have a pretty good leg to stand on merely for that fact alone.

-GP

Oct 16, 1999
Yea and it is sad to be honest. We have 2 parties (and others) all trying to do the best they can for this country but have different methods for doing it. Yet all I get to hear about as a citizen is sensationalized twisted/warped "facts" about how the other party is pure evil. It's just sad...

Honestly, if a candidate just ran that was honest and respectful all around, I think he/she would have a pretty good leg to stand on merely for that fact alone.

-GP

What country do you live in? We have a solid majority of one party and a near totality of the other just in it for themselves here in the US.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
What country do you live in? We have a solid majority of one party and a near totality of the other just in it for themselves here in the US.

It is ludicrous to say that one party is decidedly more corrupt than the other.

That said, maybe I just like to see the good in people. I just know that, although perverted by greed in some ways all over, by and large the people running the country are not purposefully trying to destroy everyone and everything in the country.

-GP

Oct 16, 1999
It is ludicrous to say that one party is decidedly more corrupt than the other.

One party is clearly more aligned with business interests at the expense of the regular people that are supposed to be governing for. Hell, they run on that fact.

That said, maybe I just like to see the good in people. I just know that, although perverted by greed in some ways all over, by and large the people running the country are not purposefully trying to destroy everyone and everything in the country.

-GP

One party also insists government can't work and goes on to prove it when they're elected. They purposely prevent and even do the opposite of proven methods to improve a country's economy and non-partisan, middle of the road, independent types still give them the benefit of the doubt.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Why did you leave your own mistake up in the thread? Is it so that we can see it takes you quite some time to be able to understand an easy word such as "before"?

He gained the "look how worldly I am, you should trust me because of that" position. Really, not a hard concept to understand.

Why should I hide mistakes? Is there some shame in it? I admitted it and moved on. You want to chat about it, I'm okay with it because I enjoy your attention.

Also, you never explained what you claimed. When did he lie about being a Kenyan?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
One party is clearly more aligned with business interests at the expense of the regular people that are supposed to be governing for. Hell, they run on that fact.

One party also insists government can't work and goes on to prove it when they're elected. They purposely prevent and even do the opposite of proven methods to improve a country's economy and non-partisan, middle of the road, independent types still give them the benefit of the doubt.

And why should we trust those who lie and deceive in a topic like this? Apparently an accusation is made and that is sufficient proof of its validity. Looks to me to be as craptastic a fallicy as the Birther movement but everyone should agree with the OPs premise because the lie benefits regular people. Fail.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I know two people who were "birthers" and they aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, but they aren't racists. They don't like Obama and never did but unless you claim that you have to like Obama or are a racist then no. Sorry, thread premise fail.

I don't know that everyone who is a birther is a racist, but the entire concept of birtherism plays into paranoia about aliens and foreigners taking over the government. It appeals to xenophobia. It's pretty difficult to argue with that.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Because...

Black may be beautiful,
Tan may be grand,
but WHITE is the color
of the big boss man.

If you ain't white...you ain't right.

I don't necessarily see "birtherism" as racism, but anyone who thinks racism is dead in the USA just because O'Bummer was elected, is blind to the truth.
It may not be to the level of "pre-civil rights" racism where Blacks have their own drinking fountains and are banned from certain restaurants...but it's not that far removed.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't know that everyone who is a birther is a racist, but the entire concept of birtherism plays into paranoia about aliens and foreigners taking over the government. It appeals to xenophobia. It's pretty difficult to argue with that.

Indeed.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Some of the best minds of the Republican party, Sarah Palin, Sean Hannity...

Okay, I literally laughed at this.

Sarah Palin is one of the single stupidest people ever to run for high office in this country.

Hannity is either stupid or pretending to be one for the sake of his audience. He daily illustrates an inability to comprehend complex concepts, and is incapable of rational debate.

As to the question in the thread title, the answer is obvious: the GOP has become the party of old white resentment, and the racism is part of that.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Also, since you are ascribing motive, what did he gain?

Scholarships at Harvard? Is this why he won't release his records there?

There are plenty of questions about his conduct there, that should have been answered four years ago.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Scholarships at Harvard? Is this why he won't release his records there?

There are plenty of questions about his conduct there, that should have been answered four years ago.

I thought conduct from youth was all just water under the bridge... or are you hung up on Romney's indiscretions from youth as well?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

It also is a way to legally disqualify someone who's policies and party are disliked. It can play into many things but this makes a categorical statement is as bad as its premise. What redeeming qualities or virtues are being displayed by those supporting it? None. I disprove of those who use this because of racism however I also detest ignorance disguised as a righteous indignation based on baseless accusations.

I despise a falsehood disguised as moral truth.

Last edited:

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Is it no coincidence that 99.99% of those flinging out the birther claims are white? Read between the lines, the GOP will continue pandering to the racists in this country because it's what wins them elections.

Times have changed, Republicans can't be overtly racist like they used to. But that doesn't mean the coded message isn't there. It's alive and well, and furthermore you are an ABSOLUTE IDIOT if you can't see that. The Democrats have their own share of pandering as well, but in my mind it is far less egregious than what the GOP has done. The Southern Strategy ain't dead yet.