Why does the food service industry suck so badly?

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I have yet to hear any good food service industry stories. Almost every place doesn't allow for any breaks as required by law in most states, rarely is an employee treated as a person, the pay sucks, and often working conditions are downright dangerous.

AmazonRasta

Banned
Dec 2, 2000
I work at a bowling alley, and we serve food to customers. In fact, I cook it! I get to break whenever I want and my boss is really cool. As long as the work is done before the talking, it's all good.

I know this isn't exactly what you're asking, well, it's not even close to what you're asking, but I thought I'd mention it anyways.

Khameleon

Apr 12, 2001
Like any industry, there are good and bad things about working in foodservice. For teenagers, foodservice is one of the few jobs you can get to make some money while still going to school. I started as a dishwasher when I was 14 years old, and stayed in the industry for the next three years, working my way up to line cook. My parents didn't have money to give me, so that was the only money I had. After leaving the military, I ended up spending a year as kitchen manager/night manager at the same restaurant. I spent a couple years doing other jobs, then when I moved to Baltimore, I needed immediate work, so I went back into the business as a prep/line cook. Cooking is a skill I will always have, and that will always be in demand. As far as pay, yes the money sucks when you start out. But an experienced cook can ask for more, and overtime is ALWAYS available. As for the downsides to restaurant work, it is extremely hot, dirty work. You can't take breaks whenever you feel like it, you have to do so around the schedule of busy times and slow times. When you get busy, you often get EXTREMELY busy, with 30 orders all coming in at the same time. It can be stressful, and when you are working with someone who doesn't pull their weight, you have no choice but to handle their workload. The customer doesn't give a damn how busy you are, they just want their food. The good things, however, often make it worthwhile. Most cooks don't have to pay for their food, and if they do, it isn't much. Waitstaff is usually primarily women, and they come and go pretty consistently, so cooking can be good for your lovelife (trust me I've dated plenty of waitresses). The schedule can allow for you to go to college, have another job, or party all night long (restaurant folk are notorious night owls). There is a feeling of a job well done when you and three other people feed 500 folks in one night, and receive no complaints. You learn how to multitask, plan ahead, and deal with high stress levels. Personally, I think that everyone should try restaurant work at least once in their lives. If nothing else, you gain a real appreciation for the people who prepare and serve your dinner.

ratkil

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2000
"Almost every place doesn't allow for any breaks as required by law in most states, rarely is an employee treated as a person, the pay sucks, and often working conditions are downright dangerous. "
You are seeing one of the downsides of capitalism, the business is so cutthroat that they have to cut corners somewhere :(

Mikal

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2001
I am a good tipper..... but the other day, the waitress basically ignored me and my gorgeous wife. Hell, even getting drink refills was a struggle! Maybe she just had a bad day but we didn't cause it.