Why does my CL Banshee go Psychedelic?

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
It doesn't really make any difference what game I am playing. But, I get this weird color problem. It looks like 16 colors (not Bits). I have the latest drivers and patches but it still happens.

I think my (long on the tooth) vid card is getting ready to die.

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what's happening and how to fix it? Other than getting a new vid card that is ;)

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
They do run pretty warm. Do you have a fan on it? If not, I'd strap on a 50mm x 50mm, with some zip ties. The 50 x 50 fan will hang over the heatsink a little. But the holes on opposite corners of the fan match right up with two holes in the board.
It's a little fuzzy, but you get the picture...
http://www.geocities.com/blain450/Fans.JPG

Other than heat, who knows.

biohazard2

Banned
May 1, 2000
I had a similar problem with that card. Moved it to a computer without an AGP slot (pci card obviously), and it was fine. No clue as to why.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Yeah Banshee's do run hot. I have a Guillemot 16mb PCI one but have never had that problem. I have a 486 fan on it though which REALLY helps cool it even when I had it overclocked to around 115/125!. The problem you talk about does seem to sound heat related to me but unless it is overclocked a lot then they should be made to work even with a lot of heat. You could still try a fan on it (486 fans seem to fit nicely) but then again, even if you had poor ventilation in your case and no fan it still should work okay. And if that doesn't work I'd try biohazard2's recommendation.

eagle