Why does my cat chase his own tail?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Could be worse. My cat was sitting on the monitor making that hairball hacking sound, so I picked him up. Big mistake. That squeeze unleashed a bomb. I didn't think something that small could make a mess that big. You remember in Aliens when the queen alien gets off the ship and skewers the android? Yeah it was something like that.

DeMeo

Oct 23, 2003
HAve you checked on your cocaine stash recently? Perhaps the cat has found it and sampled?

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
My cat plays with her tail when on her post - she drags herself around the post after it, it's pretty funny.

I play with my tail too but I stop when it spits at me, then it's not fun anymore.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: tami
you know what's more fun than watching a cat chase its tail? having a cat chase a red laser pointer. it's hilarious. they cost like $2-3. you should get one. you'll have a lot of fun.
My cats go around so fast they run out of breath.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: thomash
My cat plays Fetch...

It's so funny, throw a toy she likes and she'll bring it back time and time again until she starts panting like a dog when she's out of breath.

more weird than tail chasing..

One time she dragged a teddy bear off a small table and took it behind the sofa...
One of my cats plays fetch too, there goes my notion of it being unique :p. This particular cat has also grown a habit of picking up anything it can, putting it in the toilet, letting it simmer for a few seconds, then taking it out. Didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
My cat only seems to chase his tail when it's wet from "bathtime". Bathtime is when I'm going to have a bath and yell "bathtime Jack!" at him, and he runs in and sits on the edge of the tub and dips just the very end of his tail in the water and swishes it back and forth until it's good and wet, then he jumps down and spins in circles until he catches it and licks it dry. Then he does it all over again. It's hilarious, he'll bang into the wall, cabinet, door, toilet, whatever, and it won't stop him.

Edit: He's not a kitten anymore. He's 9, almost 10, and has been doing this since he was a few weeks old.

ingko

Sep 9, 2004
Sorry to tell you this, but your cat has a mental problem. Whenever cats chase their own tails, it means that they are not psychologically not 'correct'. It may be depressed.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: ingko
Sorry to tell you this, but your cat has a mental problem. Whenever cats chase their own tails, it means that they are not psychologically not 'correct'. It may be depressed.

:roll: Cats are playful animals, carnivores with a hunting instinct. It's perfectly normal for them to "stalk" their own tails while playing.