Why does Microsoft Security Essentials mess with my Windows backup?

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
So I built a new PC and I'm very very happy with its performance in every aspect...except one. When I try to run Windows backup, I'm greeted with a pretty well documented error 0x81000037. I've searched forums, Microsoft's support site, as well as anything else I could get my little clicker on. I have tried checking reparse's, chkdsk's, antivirus programs, etc. Lots and lots of checking and every single time I get the same 0x81000037 error...until I stumbled upon a random post by someone suggesting to turn off Microsoft Security Essentials and then run the back up. Lo and behold, it worked great for the first time since I've had this system running. After that I continued reading and many asked why Microsofts own Essentials would cause backup errors but no one could answer.

So my question to the great ATOT community is why is this happening?! Why is Microsofts own Security Essentials screwing with my backup and causing it to error 0x81000037 out?

Failing that, can anyone recommend a replacement free no-frills backup utility I could replace Windows backup with? This all has given me a headache and I'd hate to have to disable Essentials, run my backup, and then re-enable Essentials every week but if that's what I have to do, I have to do it.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Try making an exception rule in MSE for the backup utility and see if it helps.

Why not use a different free (or paid) AV?

For imaging I'm using Macrium Reflect Free.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
I am not sure if Windows Backup uses the same format of backup as Windows Server Backup, but I've had to add *.vhd to exclusions for AV to keep it from interfering with Server Backup. There are all kinds of files that you may wish to exclude from real-time protection interference.

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
Try making an exception rule in MSE for the backup utility and see if it helps.

Why not use a different free (or paid) AV?

For imaging I'm using Macrium Reflect Free.

I use http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx and have had no problems with Microsoft Security Essentials.

Thanks for the suggestions on Macrium, I'll have to check it out. I don't have a whole lot of mission critical stuff to keep backed up but I do like to keep my basic things backed up in case my main SSD decides to go down on me.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I have used Windows Backup and MSE on Windows 7 for a couple years now without issue. So it must be something that is specific to your (and I'm sure others) system.

I did switch to AVG recently, as I haven't tried it in a while, and that has also not interfered with Windows Backup.

Did you try this fix?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/973455
To work around these issues, remove the reparse point from the library, and then run the backup wizard again. To back up content for this reparse point (in this case, the FAT volume or the mounted volume), select the absolute path of this location in the Windows Backup configuration user interface.

To locate reparse point folder or its subfolder, follow these steps:

Click Start button, type CMD in the Search program and files box and then press Enter.
In the Command Prompt window, type DIR /AL /S and then press Enter. The list of JUNCTION (one type of reparse point) list is displayed.

Note You see several entries that say "junction" and the location that the entries point to (“junction point” is another name for “reparse point”). When a program tries to write to a directory that is really a reparse point, those files are sent (completely blindly to that program) to the other directory instead.

To delete mounted volume reparse point, follow these steps:

Locate the reparse point you found, right click the reparse point icon and click Properties.
In the General tab, confirm the folder Type is Mounted Volume and then delete this folder.

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
I just ended up switching to Fbackup and gotta say, I am liking that program quite a bit. For a free program, it pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Thank you for mentioning that, as I will want to try some free alternatives at some point. Windows Backup is still available in the current build of Windows 10, but they put Windows 7 in the name, so I won't be surprised if they yank it a few builds down the road.