Why does Just Cause 3 cost $85.00?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Bah, wait six months and get it for $20 or less. Problem solved.

There are very few games that I am willing to pay full price for.

darthdab

Nov 2, 2013
So, if you want to buy the whole game and experience the creative work of the whole game (something people normally expect), so far it costs $85.00 according to steam price of $60 + $25 for expansion pass. This whole idea of "release mid range content for full price now and charge them again later" nonsense has to stop. Its like game companies are taking a page out of Nvidia's playbook with selling half a product at full price. This is too expensive for a game. I thought about buying it to mess around, but I want to play the whole thing and that game is not worth $85.00! No game should cost eighty five effing dollars.
Prices like this make me want to pirate stuff. I don't blame people for pirating. I say drive the entire industry into the ground by pirating the crap out of everything. Screw them. They already said screw us, so I say screw them.
Seriously, they charge $85.00 for a damn computer VIDEO GAME and they expect people to not pirate the CRAP out of this stupid thing?

Do you work for free? Rather than pirate it, how about simply not play it. They don't owe you a video game, and if you're not happy with the price, then don't buy it and don't pirate it. Stop making excuses to steal.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
There are not many games I would care to buy the DLC for. IMO, the best DLC's enhance the base story. Fallout NV had good ones, and the Witcher series has superb ones...plus I trust CDP Red to produce a quality product. I like DLC's that enhance the story line and add more than just "super weapons/armor" and a small quest. For a game like "Just Cause xxx", I think I would wait for a sale that includes all DLC's, but that's just me. I don't mind waiting a few years to buy good games at cheap prices.

The Wife

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Sounds like the OP hasn't even played JC3... Just wants to whine about it like a spoiled brat. It's a complete game on its own. If you can't afford it now then wait till it's cheaper. All pirating proves is that you want the game but are too cheap to pay for it, and you'll use any excuse necessary to justify being a greedy douche that thinks they're owed something.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Sounds like the OP hasn't even played JC3... Just wants to whine about it like a spoiled brat. It's a complete game on its own. If you can't afford it now then wait till it's cheaper. All pirating proves is that you want the game but are too cheap to pay for it, and you'll use any excuse necessary to justify being a greedy douche that thinks they're owed something.

You think I can't afford JC3? You think I steal games? I've never pirated any game ever. I was empathizing with those that feel an injustice has been done to them, so they return that injustice with one of their own. I will buy the game when it gets cheaper. I already said in this thread I was blowing off steam and am not stealing the game, but you and a few others pretend to not realize that and you TROLL the thread and you TROLL me.
The gaming industry is way out of control with how it abuses its customers with micro transactions and expensive DLC which should have been in the game in the first place. They use human psychology against the customer by putting them in an uncomfortable situation which motivates them to buy DLC and spend money on in game content that should have been included at the start or left out altogether.
You invest $60 on a game, and then they release stuff which makes you feel your copy of the game is incomplete and unfinished, and that's because it is. This makes many people feel obligated to spend the extra money to get the full game, which is all they wanted in the first place. Its marketing trickery and its unethical. They deserve pushback.

The JC3 DLC includes a rocket pack with missiles and lets you do additional aerial tricks and things like that. This is much more interesting than what the game shipped with and these cool gadgets should have been in the game to begin with. People feel ripped off if they don't have those awesome toys for their game character. That is a load of BS and things like that should have totally been included in the game to make the game the best it could be rather than see how best they can arrange things to trick people and convince them to hand over more money than they should. Unethical trickery.

This is like the owner of a restaurant selling you a meal but then charging you extra for salt and pepper, ketchup, silverware, etc. All things that should be there with the cost of the meal, but they had the audacity to get sneaky and try and charge you extra for something that should have been there all along. Now go ahead and attack the analogy like you know you must. I won't care because you defend this crap for some reason so you will do anything to fight the Bogg on this.

Last edited:

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007

Except some people make 45k in a lofty office job, some make millions for being born to the right parents, others make 20k working two jobs, and some people can't work at all and can barely afford to eat. Easy to tell someone with no expendable income how horrible they are for pirating and then drop 85 bucks on a whim for 20 hours of fun... but I'm sure you earned the money through hard work just as the billionaire works 1000 times harder than you and a million times harder than the person working 60 hours a week at minimum wage. If you can afford it then you should pay it, or don't, I don't care, but don't go around shitting on people who can't.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Except some people make 45k in a lofty office job, some make millions for being born to the right parents, others make 20k working two jobs, and some people can't work at all and can barely afford to eat. Easy to tell someone with no expendable income how horrible they are for pirating and then drop 85 bucks on a whim for 20 hours of fun... but I'm sure you earned the money through hard work just as the billionaire works 1000 times harder than you and a million times harder than the person working 60 hours a week at minimum wage. If you can afford it then you should pay it, or don't, I don't care, but don't go around shitting on people who can't.

Piracy is always illegal and being unable or unwilling to pay is zero justification. If the game isn't worth the $60 don't buy it but making excuses to steal it is ridiculous.

You probably can't afford a Ferrari but did you use that excuse to steal one? Of course not.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
You think I can't afford JC3? You think I steal games? I've never pirated any game ever. I was empathizing with those that feel an injustice has been done to them, so they return that injustice with one of their own. I will buy the game when it gets cheaper. I already said in this thread I was blowing off steam and am not stealing the game, but you and a few others pretend to not realize that and you TROLL the thread and you TROLL me.
The gaming industry is way out of control with how it abuses its customers with micro transactions and expensive DLC which should have been in the game in the first place. They use human psychology against the customer by putting them in an uncomfortable situation which motivates them to buy DLC and spend money on in game content that should have been included at the start or left out altogether.
You invest $60 on a game, and then they release stuff which makes you feel your copy of the game is incomplete and unfinished, and that's because it is. This makes many people feel obligated to spend the extra money to get the full game, which is all they wanted in the first place. Its marketing trickery and its unethical. They deserve pushback.

The JC3 DLC includes a rocket pack with missiles and lets you do additional aerial tricks and things like that. This is much more interesting than what the game shipped with and these cool gadgets should have been in the game to begin with. People feel ripped off if they don't have those awesome toys for their game character. That is a load of BS and things like that should have totally been included in the game to make the game the best it could be rather than see how best they can arrange things to trick people and convince them to hand over more money than they should. Unethical trickery.

This is like the owner of a restaurant selling you a meal but then charging you extra for salt and pepper, ketchup, silverware, etc. All things that should be there with the cost of the meal, but they had the audacity to get sneaky and try and charge you extra for something that should have been there all along. Now go ahead and attack the analogy like you know you must. I won't care because you defend this crap for some reason so you will do anything to fight the Bogg on this.

Your analogy doesn't really fit. It would have worked better if you said it's like a restaurant charging you extra for premium side dishes with your meal but that happens all the time and it's pretty much accepted. You don't have to pay the extra and can take it as it comes or you can not order it. Same thing here. Buy it or don't buy it.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Most DLC seems tacked on just to make a quick buck anyway. FFS they sell these season passes without even telling people what it's going to contain. And consumers just lap it up, then complain when the content is announced, feeling they got ripped. Hilarious I think. A fool and his money...

As long as that continues though, it won't change. Vote with your wallet. Steam sales rock.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Your analogy doesn't really fit. It would have worked better if you said it's like a restaurant charging you extra for premium side dishes with your meal but that happens all the time and it's pretty much accepted. You don't have to pay the extra and can take it as it comes or you can not order it. Same thing here. Buy it or don't buy it.

You attacked the analogy. Good man.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
Piracy is always illegal and being unable or unwilling to pay is zero justification. If the game isn't worth the $60 don't buy it but making excuses to steal it is ridiculous.

You probably can't afford a Ferrari but did you use that excuse to steal one? Of course not.

It's illegal, but not immoral. Given the injustice inherent in wealth distribution and the fact that nobody is getting hurt by making a copy of a copy, I'd say an excuse isn't really needed.

What if instead of a pc game it was food. Should the person starve or steal food? Would it be wrong to steal food in that case? If yes, would it still be wrong if they stole food that had absolutely zero impact on food for anyone else, i.e., stealing it out of a dumpster in a place where it is illegal to do so.

Last edited:

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
It's illegal, but not immoral. Given the injustice inherent in wealth distribution and the fact that nobody is getting hurt by making a copy of a copy, I'd say an excuse isn't really needed.

What if instead of a pc game it was food. Should the person starve or steal food? Would it be wrong to steal food in that case? If yes, would it still be wrong if they stole food that had absolutely zero impact on food for anyone else, i.e., stealing it out of a dumpster in a place where it is illegal to do so.

"It's not wrong, because I want it...

...and because there's other bad stuff that goes on in the world. And food in dumpsters"

Jesus, man. The lengths people go to to justify stealing games and then defending them "because I really didn't want it anyway", but here, let me spend hours discussing it online and defending myself.

You seriously just compared stealing a PC game to stealing food because you're starving.

Just stop. This is getting embarrassing.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Gaming is a luxury, and not everybody can afford luxuries. I'm not saying I don't know what it's like to be in those shoes, but you can't justify it as being okay.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
e31.jpg

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

This is entertainment, not human need.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007

This rant is completely ridiculous. You want DLC that adds value and then complain that the DLC that DOES add value should have been in the original game. This makes absolutely zero sense at all.

You just want it all at once and don't want to pay for it. At least as non-sensical as that perspective is, it is not hypocritical. At least wear that perspective on your sleeve and admit that you would rather have an enormous AAA game with zero DLC than a full AAA game with some actual good DLC.

Of all the games to rage about with regard to this, JC3 seems like a terrible example. So far all indications are that JC3's DLC is and will be extensive that adds value and gameplay, and is not some tacked on bs to make extra coin.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007

Promoting piracy is against forum rules, yes?

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Is a mod seriously just injecting "We don't like this" in consecutive posts from the same user and not actually doing a single thing about it?

Their self-justification is delusional at best. They just compared PC games (a diversion) to food (a necessity) to justify the stealing of the diversion. And by keeping the posts with no punishment and nothing more than a little bolded text, people are going to get mixed messages.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Go to Cheapshark, search for the game you want to buy, if it's at the price you want, buy it. If not, set a price alert and be patient. Plenty of great games on sale. Read only a few of the posts, but I can say, quality games are cheaper today than ever before. $5 goes a long way.

N64 games back in the day were $70+ dollars and the imports, ah jeez, my friend and I burned a lot of cash buying games.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Everyone who disagrees with me is very wrong. Also, I am very right. You lose.
Those who are with me stay strong. Our day and hour is near. DLC and micro transaction nonsense will be a thing of the past and take their rightful places in the dustbin of history right next to guillotines and mustard gas.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Digital Piracy ≠ Stealing

$85 for JC3 complete is a rather large pill to swallow for such a shallow game. Nobody should condone piracy, but it is ludicrous to state someone is a pirate for calling out a bad price. The game will be under $10 soon and even then some will say it is overpriced.