Why does furniture take so long to be delivered?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
My GF and I went to look at some living room stuff last night, and we found some couches we wanted. We plan on getting them this Friday when we both get paid, however the people there told us it takes 3 weeks for delivery.

Now I'm just wondering ... why the hell does it take 3 weeks in this day and age? It kind of sucks cause we are moving to our new place next weekend, so we'll be w/out our couch, chairs, and tables for quite some time, and in todays business, i'm used to ordering stuff and it taking a week maximum to get somewhere, and that's when it's coming UPS ground from California to me in MD.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: yllus
Elves have small hands and assemble it slowly.

Not to mention the dwarven truck drivers can barely see over the steering wheel.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: yllus
Elves have small hands and assemble it slowly.

Not to mention the dwarven truck drivers can barely see over the steering wheel.

Aaah okay, now it all makes sense, thanks :thumbsup:

ShockwaveVT

Dec 13, 2004
quality furniture is pretty much made to order. if you want something of decent (but not great) quality tomorrow, go to Ikea

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Maybe some people ordered before you and they have to deliver them firs or wait for stock. All the furniture I've ordered took between 1-3 weeks to get delivered depending on where they had it in stock.

Unfortunately couchs are over UPS's size and weight limts....

Either that or because you touch yourself at night.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
As for the correct answer?

Most stuff is not kept in stock. They'll either have very, very low supplies, or have the stuff made to order. It'll take a few days for the order to get put in, a week or two to manufacture the furniture, and then time for delivery.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: K1052
Maybe some people ordered before you and they have to deliver them firs or wait for stock. All the furniture I've ordered took between 1-3 weeks to get delivered depending on where they had it in stock.

Well that's the thing, I didn't ask on a specific item, I asked one guy how long it takes to get stuff and he said 3 weeks. He was kind of not talkative, so I asked another guy and he told me the same thing. I didn't even tell him a specific item.

And I know Ikea's stuff is decent quality, but we're looking for something a little step up from that. Nothing fancy though. We're gettin stuff from Sticks N Stuff.

I know I'll have to wait, I'm just seriously wondering how come it takes so long heh.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ
As for the correct answer?

Most stuff is not kept in stock. They'll either have very, very low supplies, or have the stuff made to order. It'll take a few days for the order to get put in, a week or two to manufacture the furniture, and then time for delivery.

Cool okay, I figured it was sitting in a warehouse somewhere and they could plop it up on a truck, and bam, deliver it.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: purbeast0

Well that's the thing, I didn't ask on a specific item, I asked one guy how long it takes to get stuff and he said 3 weeks. He was kind of not talkative, so I asked another guy and he told me the same thing. I didn't even tell him a specific item.

And I know Ikea's stuff is decent quality, but we're looking for something a little step up from that. Nothing fancy though. We're gettin stuff from Sticks N Stuff.

I know I'll have to wait, I'm just seriously wondering how come it takes so long heh.

It's most likely all kept at a regional warehouse and 3 weeks is their standard delivery wait. You could shave some time off if you went somewhere they had it physically in stock but that is fewer and fewer places these days in order to cut inventory costs.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: purbeast0

It's most likely all kept at a regional warehouse and 3 weeks is their standard delivery wait. You could shave some time off if you went somewhere they had it physically in stock but that is fewer and fewer places these days in order to cut inventory costs.

Yah we also pretty much know the ones we want to get already too heh. It's not a bad price at all either.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
3 WEEKS?!!! That is great! I think I waited ~6 months for my dining room table. Well mainly because it was back ordered and we were pretty far down on the list, but still..

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
unless you buy the actual item in the store, they have to either make it and ship it or at least ship it from siberia

retail furniture is weird

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
This is one question wrt furniture that I don't have.

What I do have is why most furniture is MDF + veneer trash that costs as much as a decent hardwood alternative you can get in something akin to Amish country.

I mean, seriously, I was up in Lancaster Co PA a couple weeks ago. We found an amish built solid cherry entertainment system for 2k that would fit our 52" Toshiba DLP. It's at least 3k at any other "big box" (havertys and such) AND its trash wood. Ethan Allen hardwood? 4-5k+.