Why does Final Fantasy 8+ suck so hard?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
I never played 8, but liked 7 and totally loved 9 and 10. 12 I didn't like that much and 13 I didn't like at all. The gradual switch to twitch is basically a no-go for me, to the point that I'm not even going to try the new one as it now is an action RPG.

Xellos2099

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2005
Man, no one here played ffxi... seriously? It might be a mmo but the story is straightly Final Fantasy. Hell, some of the expension story are so good it is better than most of the recent FF title like COP and WOTG.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
Man, no one here played ffxi... seriously? It might be a mmo but the story is straightly Final Fantasy. Hell, some of the expension story are so good it is better than most of the recent FF title like COP and WOTG.
I tried, but the controls were too stupid. Also I think I joined late as I could never find anybody to group with.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I never played 8, but liked 7 and totally loved 9 and 10. 12 I didn't like that much and 13 I didn't like at all. The gradual switch to twitch is basically a no-go for me, to the point that I'm not even going to try the new one as it now is an action RPG.

what about X-2?

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000

I played it for almost 10 years.. :$ Agreed, some of the expansion stories were terrific.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
No tactics? For shame, I dought you even played those numbers.

I have played every Final Fantasy through 10. In my list I was only listing primary Final Fantasy's and not other games that use the brand. If I was going to make a lineup of EVERYTHING that is Final Fantasy it would be:

FF6>5>4>Tactics>7>3>9>The 4 Heroes of Light>The After years>10>1>Crisis Core>DIMENSIONS>2>Mystic Quest>8 (yes, the magic system sucks so bad in 8 I would rather play Mystic Quest)

The Final Fantasy Legend games are left out because they were only branded Final Fantasy during Americanization. If they were in the list they would be in reverse order before Mystic Quest.

All Final Fantasy's after 10, as well as Crystal Chronicles, are not in the list because they have a real time combat system. If tomorrow I was made king of the world, calling a game "Final Fantasy" without at least semi-turn based combat would be against the law.

X-2 isn't on the list because I am "saving" it, as it might be the last turn-based FF ever made and I hopefully have a lot of years of life left. The second square announces a JRPG Final Fantasy game not made for a portable system I will stop "saving" X-2 and play it.

Last edited:

Silver Prime

Golden Member
May 29, 2012
I have played every Final Fantasy through 10. In my list I was only listing primary Final Fantasy's and not other games that use the brand. If I was going to make a lineup of EVERYTHING that is Final Fantasy it would be:

FF6>5>4>Tactics>7>3>9>The 4 Heroes of Light>The After years>10>1>Crisis Core>DIMENSIONS>2>Mystic Quest>8 (yes, the magic system sucks so bad in 8 I would rather play Mystic Quest)

The Final Fantasy Legend games are left out because they were only branded Final Fantasy during Americanization. If they were in the list they would be in reverse order before Mystic Quest.

All Final Fantasy's after 10, as well as Crystal Chronicles, are not in the list because they have a real time combat system. If tomorrow I was made king of the world, calling a game "Final Fantasy" without at least semi-turn based combat would be against the law.

X-2 isn't on the list because I am "saving" it, as it might be the last turn-based FF ever made and I hopefully have a lot of years of life left. The second square announces a JRPG Final Fantasy game not made for a portable system I will stop "saving" X-2 and play it.

8's magic system was spot on, and makes more sense than any FF, atleast its not aquired by buying it, I mean really? Spells that are learned through buying them like a item? It should be learned by absorbing an swaping life forces with a monster who poseses that stream. And 8's on dead last because of that alone? No commending the addicting and awesome card game, upgraded graphics, epic story line, killer cut scenes, more easter eggs than 1-6 combine an inovative GF juntion system. lol P4P 8 smokes 7 like how death battle had a gimped Link smoke'd Cloud.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
8's magic system was spot on, and makes more sense than any FF

No way. The spell system in FF8 lead to the worst grinding in the series (and I love grinding). There is a reason it is the only one of the first 10 without MPs. When something works (like the job system) they bring it back.

Heck I always hated Paladin's Quest for the same reason- no MPs!

It should be learned by absorbing an swaping life forces with a monster who poseses that stream.

That is called blue magic and is done perfectly in both FF6 and FF5. What FF8 has is a bastardization of the stealing system. But that is all my opinion and yours is obviously different.

Silver Prime

Golden Member
May 29, 2012
No way. The spell system in FF8 lead to the worst grinding in the series (and I love grinding). There is a reason it is the only one of the first 10 without MPs. When something works (like the job system) they bring it back.

what was ever brought back in any FF game other than the formating RPG style?

Heck I always hated Paladin's Quest for the same reason- no MPs!

That is called blue magic and is done perfectly in both FF6 and FF5. What FF8 has is a bastardization of the stealing system. But that is all my opinion and yours is obviously different.

I guess its your opinion then, since Questis already had Blue magic, how creative is buying a magic from a store? In a real time scenario like on a movie that would be one of the lamest gandalf or dumbledorf or merlin perks, no training whats so ever to aquire magic, only needing a few dollars to learn lol. The draw system was inovative and was specifically a SeeD skill, which trumps any skill set anyother FF skill set had.

Squall>Cloud

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
8's magic system was spot on, and makes more sense than any FF, atleast its not aquired by buying it, I mean really? Spells that are learned through buying them like a item? It should be learned by absorbing an swaping life forces with a monster who poseses that stream.

Three things...

1. You're complaining about the way a fictional thing (magic) works in a fantasy setting. That's double the inanity.
  2. Why should you be able to buy magic? Have you heard of scrolls or tomes? You know... those things that tend to hold magical incantations/spells in numerous fantasy settings.
  3. What sense does it make for a monster (i.e. non-humanoid) to know a specific magic spell. At least Final Fantasy VI did it correctly by having specific abilities known only by the monsters, and only Gau could learn them.
The thing is... we're only touching on a single bad aspect of Final Fantasy VIII. Sure, I liked Triple Triad, but that isn't enough to make me play that awful game again.

Silver Prime

Golden Member
May 29, 2012
Three things...

1. You're complaining about the way a fictional thing (magic) works in a fantasy setting. That's double the inanity.
  2. Why should you be able to buy magic? Have you heard of scrolls or tomes? You know... those things that tend to hold magical incantations/spells in numerous fantasy settings.
  3. What sense does it make for a monster (i.e. non-humanoid) to know a specific magic spell. At least Final Fantasy VI did it correctly by having specific abilities known only by the monsters, and only Gau could learn them.
The thing is... we're only touching on a single bad aspect of Final Fantasy VIII. Sure, I liked Triple Triad, but that isn't enough to make me play that awful game again.

Tomes and scrolls? Nah, I dont like the whole avitar airbender way of learning spells, there should be a more intricate way. Gau would have been better off as a mediator like FFT, nothing special there.

Aweful game? Without 7 having more gimmicks than all the FF's combined 8 would have sold the most, not 6. Its quite the opposite, you two ranting just because the magic system was different doesnt take away its sales, plus game rating, which was again higher than anything you two named.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Without 7 having more gimmicks than all the FF's combined 8 would have sold the most, not 6.

Care to back this up with anything other than your cockamamie conjecture from your previous post? Although, I'm pretty sure B.S. like this got you banned last time, so maybe you should just keep it up. ():)

Silver Prime

Golden Member
May 29, 2012
Care to back this up with anything other than your cockamamie conjecture from your previous post? Although, I'm pretty sure B.S. like this got you banned last time, so maybe you should just keep it up. ():)

Well it depends which source you look at, some sites have the rankings different, wikipedia being one of them who ranked 8 low. 7 had gimmicks, if youd see a 8 movie without playing the game, wouldent you then want to look for the actual game and play it? That goes the same with 7's huge library of gimmicks that drawn in more buyers boosting its sales.

My argument was protaining to the threads title, 8+ >8 and beyound sucks, which is not the case, 8 was a powerhouse and beat almost all other predassors just shy of 6 in terms popular vote and via sales if in terms 7 dident have such the expansion of gimmicks. Basically my question would be, if they were to make a...

* Final fantasy 8 movie
* Final fantasy 8 manga and anime
* A Final fantasy 8 pre-history game like crisis core
* Spin squall into other games like cloud was in tactics, ehrgeiz.
* Other spin offs like derge of cerebus ect.

And a bunch of other gimmicks, you actually think if FF8 had all of that it would still be behind 7 in sales? C'mon, this is why 7 is held as one of the most overated games ever made, all the gimmicks bumped up its sales and like-ability, which some even say 7 was a rip off of 6.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
8 was a powerhouse and beat almost all other predassors just shy of 6 in terms popular vote

At least based upon what I've seen, Final Fantasy VIII tends to get a lot of votes from the female population. If not, they tend to vote for Final Fantasy X. I've never met a female gamer that ever told me that a 16-bit (or prior) Final Fantasy game was great... other than my sister, but that's because she had a good influence! :p

Although, without some solid statistical data, that's just conjecture and hearsay on my point. However, it would be interesting to see if it's true.

And a bunch of other gimmicks, you actually think if FF8 had all of that it would still be behind 7 in sales?

Do I think or do I know? Here's why I'm call you out on this BS: the prior is conjecture, the latter is an actual argument. Conjecture is nothing more than rabble-rousing. If you want a good example, just look at threads in the Video Cards and Graphics forum. Prior to the release of Mantle, its discussion thread was full of people making up claims or spinning information to try to back a claim. That was all nothing more than people blowing hot air.

Let's look back at the garbage that you posted earlier:

-Movies would cater a 20% increase in sales for any game. (look at pokemon)
-Spin offs atleast 5% wanting more/routing to the original installment.
-Anime/manga another 5%
-Along with the largest sales market there was for any FF adding in 15%

On those statistics, anyway you cut it FF8 would have trumped 7, if you was to give that 45% increasage in gimmicks to FF8, than 8 would have sold atleast 12 million +, or take away FF7 45% gimmicks and 7 would have only sold near the high end of 6 million.

I'm pretty sure I can't make this any more obvious....

C'mon, this is why 7 is held as one of the most overated games ever made, all the gimmicks bumped up its sales and like-ability, which some even say 7 was a rip off of 6.

No one cares about all of the spin-offs and other junk. In my experience, people think that Final Fantasy VII is overrated because (a) newer fans think it's better than Final Fantasy IV or VI, and that irks the older fans, or (b) they honestly don't think the game is nearly as good as the rabid fans say it is.

Silver Prime

Golden Member
May 29, 2012
At least based upon what I've seen, Final Fantasy VIII tends to get a lot of votes from the female population. If not, they tend to vote for Final Fantasy X. I've never met a female gamer that ever told me that a 16-bit (or prior) Final Fantasy game was great... other than my sister, but that's because she had a good influence! :p

Although, without some solid statistical data, that's just conjecture and hearsay on my point. However, it would be interesting to see if it's true.

Wow, 8 must have really irked you in how it got a 90 score while no FF games other than 6 before got a 9/10, excluding 7's gimmicks. lol

Do I think or do I know? Here's why I'm call you out on this BS: the prior is conjecture, the latter is an actual argument. Conjecture is nothing more than rabble-rousing. If you want a good example, just look at threads in the Video Cards and Graphics forum. Prior to the release of Mantle, its discussion thread was full of people making up claims or spinning information to try to back a claim. That was all nothing more than people blowing hot air.

Let's look back at the garbage that you posted earlier:

Hot air? It states even on wiki the ratings:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy

Ergo my disagreement with the thread title.

I'm pretty sure I can't make this any more obvious....

No one cares about all of the spin-offs and other junk. In my experience, people think that Final Fantasy VII is overrated because (a) newer fans think it's better than Final Fantasy IV or VI, and that irks the older fans, or (b) they honestly don't think the game is nearly as good as the rabid fans say it is.

It doesnt matter what you say any one cares, the statistics shows why 7 was so popular over 8 (and not by that much) it was because of its gimmicks...I dont know why you cant comprehend it, a simple test of replicating every gimmick 7 had on 8, and 8 will then be the highest selling game...the end.

The only thing is garbage is you two disagreeing with a world wide vote and saying 8 came in dead last when 8 smoked all except 6 before hand.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
I've just been replaying the steam version of 8, and even with the cheat that gets you half decent magic at the start I find myself always looking forward to the next bit, but when I get th3re I realise it's as boring as the last bit.

I can't believe that years ago I put so much time into this, I find myself yearning for FFIIV.

I've ot to the point where I have every GF except Eden, every character is maxed out in magic but I'm lacking the motivation to carry on. Can someone inspire me?

Silver Prime

Golden Member
May 29, 2012
I've just been replaying the steam version of 8, and even with the cheat that gets you half decent magic at the start I find myself always looking forward to the next bit, but when I get th3re I realise it's as boring as the last bit.

I can't believe that years ago I put so much time into this, I find myself yearning for FFIIV.

I've ot to the point where I have every GF except Eden, every character is maxed out in magic but I'm lacking the motivation to carry on. Can someone inspire me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o2SV6ynJYQ

Do you agree?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
X-2 was entertaining, but I still sort of see it as an expansion of X for some silly reason.

Thats basically what it was. Chapter based quest system, and more annoying characters.

BUT, they did well with the job system. I especially like the ability to change jobs in mid-battle. Also the inclusion of Uber-jobs.
And I liked all the mega-accessories they had but most of them were a pain to get.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
8+ is a kind of arbitrary line.

1-3 have next to no story and cookie cutter characters. 4 and 6 are widely considered masterpieces. 5 has a great battle system in the revamped job system, but it's largely forgettable otherwise, or so I'm told. 7 brought the series to the masses. I enjoyed it, but it has been a long time. I'd probably get a serious novela [as in latin soap opera] vibe.

I enjoyed 8, and I know I'm in the minority and I don't care. The complaints against Squall are only valid through about halfway. He shows the most growth of any protagonist this side of Cecil. Some will say it's too late in the game, but I don't care to argue the game. I enjoyed it.

I've played 9, but never got very far. The throwback mentality that drove it makes itself way too obvious and grates me a bit. I should finish it some time. I don't hate the game, but the franchise showed no real progress with 9.

10 has the best combat of the entire series, in my opinion. I enjoyed the story and most of the characters. Considering how many firsts are present in 10, I like it a lot. I'm playing X Remaster right now. I have not nor will I ever play 11 or 14. I just don't pay monthly fees to play my games.

12. I own it, have not played it more than an hour. I like the idea of the battle system, and it appears that the story is more politically driven, but I just don't know enough to give an opinion on it. I do want to get back to it.

I hated 13, and I hate Square Enix for absolutely ruining the game. Story was crap, characters were all crap, battles were crap, but it was pretty? The world they built sounds cool enough. The game sucks. And I hate saying it [the game sucking]; my wife bought it for me for my birthday because of all the hype I was exuding.

For me, looking at the series as a whole, their track record 8+ is pretty much spot on with what it's always been.

And as for the side games, X-2 and the 13 spinoffs, I'll play X-2 because I own it, but I'm not touching the other 13 games. I also feel like they don't really belong in the discussion. They're obviously games that Square doesn't treat with the same gravitas as the main line.

EDIT: I forgot Tactics and other games bearing the FF moniker. Some of them, like Tactics, are obviously great. But as above, the topic seems more concerned with the main series. So discussing those doesn't seem to add much to the conversation.

Last edited:

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
5 has a great battle system in the revamped job system, but it's largely forgettable otherwise, or so I'm told.

The plot is so-so, but FF5 is awesome. The job system rocks, the blue magic rocks, the items and weapons are awesome, forcing a shield dragon to rape itself is the second best thing (to Wind God Gau) in any Final Fantasy game, and it had the best superbosses (yes better than FF7).

My second favorite FF game. The thrill of beating Omega (without putting it to sleep with three bards) is worth the price of admission.