Why does Final Fantasy 8+ suck so hard?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Silver Prime

Golden Member
May 29, 2012
So any one know whats the different sequence from 1-6 in terms japanese an american?

Because I know I heard something like 2 is 4 or 6 or I dont know, but americas numbering them was off right?....

So any body know?

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Whaw......Howlees >_>
Haole (pron.: /ˈhaʊliː/; Hawaiian [ˈhɔule]), in the Hawaiian language, is generally used to refer to an individual that fits one (or more) of the following: "White person, American, Englishman, Caucasian; American, English; formerly, any foreigner; foreign, introduced, of foreign origin, as plants, pigs, chickens".[1] The origins of the word predate the 1778 arrival of Captain James Cook (which is the generally accepted date of first contact with westerners), as recorded in several chants stemming from antiquity. Its use historically has ranged from descriptive to racist invective.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
My dearest moke,
Final Fantasy IV was released in 1991; in North America, it was released as Final Fantasy II.
Final Fantasy V, released in 1992 in Japan.
Final Fantasy VI was released in Japan in 1994, but it was titled Final Fantasy III in North America.

Last edited:

Silver Prime

Golden Member
May 29, 2012
XD
The word wiki just stated is Pernounced: Ha-ole or Ha-O-li

Its a different word form howlee, which Ha'ole with the oki-nah after the A" which gaps the word.

Ha'ole means...Happy.

Howlee pernounced: How-lee...
means foreigner as we usually call stupid tourist.

Neither Howlee or Ha'ole means white. Keo' keo' means white.

So kootles to the dumy who wrote wiki...just like in L vs T, I yet again show how reliable wiki is. Huh! The world must be just raidiating with people who think they know everything, when in reality they dont know jack shit. Huh!

Tootles Howlee. ^_^

Last edited:

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The only thing that wasent good is in a Ff game you kinda want 1 head honcho, that stands out, but for 6 everyone was kinda equal. But I see it a little above 2 but then again Kain comes in all by him self an levels it back to a tie.

Terra was technically the "head honcho". That said, Realm almost always became your most powerful character as you had much better espers with might higher stat bonuses at level up time by the time you get her as a character. My Realm had max magic, speed, and strength! Add in dual cast and she wiped the floor with just about everything. In the final zone where you had to split your party into 3 or 4 groups (can't remember how many anymore), I put her with all the people I never used like Umau (I think that was the name... it was the yeti), Gau (again, I think that was his name, the wild child). I can't remember who the 4th was in that group, but it didn't matter, as Realm always acted first and killed everything with her attack (I think everything but the mini boss which had more that 20000hp).

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Gau is the most OP. Ability to gain things like doom/vanish at level 6?

Not sure a low level play through would be possible without exploiting Gau/veldt/rage mechanics. For example, no other way to fight or survive even one hit of Ultros at level 6 without float, and since you don't have espers yet, the only place you're getting float is one of Gau's rages.

Silver Prime

Golden Member
May 29, 2012
Terra was technically the "head honcho". That said, Realm almost always became your most powerful character as you had much better espers with might higher stat bonuses at level up time by the time you get her as a character. My Realm had max magic, speed, and strength! Add in dual cast and she wiped the floor with just about everything. In the final zone where you had to split your party into 3 or 4 groups (can't remember how many anymore), I put her with all the people I never used like Umau (I think that was the name... it was the yeti), Gau (again, I think that was his name, the wild child). I can't remember who the 4th was in that group, but it didn't matter, as Realm always acted first and killed everything with her attack (I think everything but the mini boss which had more that 20000hp).

I dont know about that, other then Terra being able to fly, whats different from her and any low leve'd summoner from FFT?

Some like T.G Cid would wreck her or worker 8 would simply shoot her out of the sky. But as for strongest, fastest, most powerful, wouldent that title go to Tidus? Since he at max stats could hit multiple monsters with a 99,999 attck point like 10x before they even flinched?

he could potentialy solo squall, tera, cloud, butz, ramaza, kain, the whole lot with his max stats...hes basicaly a reacking machine when every sphere is learned along with his legendary items.

But of course that would still fall into game mechanics, since all have been shown in real time fighting each other in Dissidia, and all of them sort of kept up with each other, was epic to see squall try an blitz sephiroth in the open cimatics...lol

Yet no FFT in there? FTW

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
For some reason, I was musing over Final Fantasy VI a few weeks back, and I was pondering about what sets it apart. I (sort of) came to the same conclusion as Silver Prime in that there isn't a "head honcho"; however, he seems to suggest that it is a bad thing, but I think it's what truly sets the game apart... in a good way. Arguably, the game does focus the most on Terra as the unraveling mystery directly involves her, but I think that tends to mask the other characters' growth throughout the game. Albeit, that also tends to focus on a much more select few (Locke, Celes, Edgar, etc.) rather than every single character -- sorry, Umaro!

I think that's what made the game interesting. The other characters didn't feel like they were only there to prop up the main story, but rather they also had their own experiences. In some games, the character just leaves your party, experiences growth, and comes back (e.g. Rydia in Final Fantasy IV), but in Final Fantasy VI, you typically play as the character for their story bits.

Silver Prime

Golden Member
May 29, 2012
For some reason, I was musing over Final Fantasy VI a few weeks back, and I was pondering about what sets it apart. I (sort of) came to the same conclusion as Silver Prime in that there isn't a "head honcho"; however, he seems to suggest that it is a bad thing, but I think it's what truly sets the game apart... in a good way. Arguably, the game does focus the most on Terra as the unraveling mystery directly involves her, but I think that tends to mask the other characters' growth throughout the game. Albeit, that also tends to focus on a much more select few (Locke, Celes, Edgar, etc.) rather than every single character -- sorry, Umaro!

I think that's what made the game interesting. The other characters didn't feel like they were only there to prop up the main story, but rather they also had their own experiences. In some games, the character just leaves your party, experiences growth, and comes back (e.g. Rydia in Final Fantasy IV), but in Final Fantasy VI, you typically play as the character for their story bits.

I agree, 6 does seperate it from of the others because you feel connected with more than one person in the game, they all had so much crazy back grounds and personalitys it was hard to choose. As for most others you kinda knew who was the big dawg or main guy/girl the others are like booster from turbo man (Jingle all the way).

As for the threads main topic, 8 was the 2nd most highest ranked and grossing FF title ever made, the reason why 7 did better...only slightly in the score cards...is because of the amount of other pockets the game branched out from, of course the game with its own manga, toon anime, movie, most advertising out of all the FFs so bad every logo had it on from coco-cola to DC comics. If FF8 had all of that it could have doubled FF7's copies sold, since 8 was only behind 7 at around 10% in sales.

Not to mention cloud was portrayed so weak in FFT it was laughable to even use him...any of the other hard hitters of the FFT universe could have solo'd him, Thunder god cid could beat him blind folded, others like agrias, izlude, well equiped ramza, gafgarion, the rune knights, beowulf all could have slapped cloud silly in a one on one fight, I'd even put money a well played Squall could take out cloud in real time dissidia form cinimatics.

8 was top tier, the music was iconic, the romance was flustered but well written to match the story; the charecters were all likable, the action was intense, the GF searching was fun, and the card game was epic.

9/10 for me, while as 7 was more so a 8/10 since cloud dident get the girl. lol

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I liked 13. There was not that much grinding compared to previous games.

Silver Prime

Golden Member
May 29, 2012
Of course not.

The game essentially plays itself.

The only game that does that well is God of war, other than that, I lode those type of games, should have just made a anime movie of it, instead of only having a say in game play of only 10% of the entire games walk through.

But 13 looked crappy, and so does 13-versus or what ever; the charecters alone look way to cheesy, and non-intresting. 14 looks more of a FF world then 13's, but is already getting bad reviews...so I dont know...at this point sequels for each FF starting from 1 up would be more intresting, becuase they lost there whole FF feeling after 10. But just the fact, that you could not only relive the old FF's; but to carry on where they each left off would be epic.

No remakes, that kinda sucks unless done right, the remake for 2 was just wrong, cinimatics looked good, but game play...Huh!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
so does 13-versus or what ever; the charecters alone look way to cheesy, and non-intresting.

It's Final Fantasy XV now, and that's the one that I'm looking forward to.

14 looks more of a FF world then 13's, but is already getting bad reviews

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is a MMO, and it isn't even out yet. At best, you're getting comments on people playing the beta.

xeledon20005

Feb 5, 2013
Unrelated: I much prefer 1-6, in any iteration. I'd rather play remakes on GBA, DS, and PSP than a new game that sucks ass.

Right now I'm getting stomped on FF4 cuz I didnt take the Augment system seriously.

i've only got gba/ds but also prefer 1-6 really enjoy 6 the best since snes. Also really enjoyed final fantasy 1&2 dawn of souls 2 is really good.

Ive heard mixed reviews about ff8 some people love it some people hate it. My friend hates it with a passion and prefers 7 saying it's the best.

nace186

Platinum Member
Sep 16, 2006

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is a MMO, and it isn't even out yet. At best, you're getting comments on people playing the beta.

Final Fantasy XIV is out, but it sucks so bad that they are remaking it and add A Realm Reborn to the title.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Final Fantasy XIV is out, but it sucks so bad that they are remaking it and add A Realm Reborn to the title.

Yes, but that's why I specifically mentioned the A Realm Reborn relaunch, as it's touted as what Final Fantasy XIV should have been in the first place. In a sense, Square is pretty much treating it like a new game (and arguably, it pretty much is) except owners of the original FF14 abomination get it for free.

Silver Prime

Golden Member
May 29, 2012

So explain how does the 14 an 15 differ, which one was the one the guy got sucked into th card, I thought that was 14...so whats; what?

@Sophita

2 sucks? The one with kain? If you think that game sucks, you should quit playing any and every final fantasy game ever, because 2 was the shits; without 2 there wouldn't have been 3, witout 3; 4 without 4; 5, without....oh you get the picture, it was a learning experince for the creators that opened up new worlds in there minds; everytime they thought of the previous, after 10 it all went down hill; none before that sucked, they were all good, some better than the others, but they definitely didn't suck.

Last edited:

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
So explain how does the 14 an 15 differ, which one was the one the guy got sucked into th card, I thought that was 14...so whats; what?

@Sophita

2 sucks? The one with kain? If you think that game sucks, you should quit playing any and every final fantasy game ever, because 2 was the shits; without 2 there wouldn't have been 3, witout 3; 4 without 4; 5, without....oh you get the picture, it was a learning experince for the creators that opened up new worlds in there minds; everytime they thought of the previous, after 10 it all went down hill; none before that sucked, they were all good, some better than the others, but they definitely didn't suck.

I think he/she is speaking of the actual FF2, not FFIV (named 2 in the US)