Why does everyone hate white people?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purplehayes

Golden Member
Mar 31, 2000
I guess I have to admit it, I'm a racist.

I find myself hanging around non-white people (I'm white) intentionally. I've grown-up around white people and worked with white people and go to church with white people. I'm so tired of white people, I like meeting people that didn't grow-up white. Ya' know, I like white people, but I don't like to over indulge on them. I like to mix it up a little. Other white people that only like 'vanilla' bore me.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Don't get me wrong, I am proud to be white! I don't want to be any other race, not becuase their bad but I like who I am. I don't think I have ever made a dirogitory racist remark on purpose in my life, so it jst pushes my buttons when people do it to me. Grrr...

I like diversity. I moved to Florida from Chicago, and anyone who has ever been to Chicago knows it's all white and black folks... thats it. Moving to Orlando was a big change becuase here we have whites, blacks, asians, hispanics, and the islanders (so many different races that you can't name it) but not once did I flip out and make racist remarks.

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Your opinions are often based on what you've been taught while growing up, and it's not hard to understand why some black families have taught their children and kin to hate white people for the horrible things they've done against their own race - and what they're still doing btw (KKK, rednecks, etc.)

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Well this white person and his family/ancestors have never done anything to the black race, OR any race for that matter! Their just increasing the racism, not stopping it.

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
Any of you guys remember Homey The Clown from In Living Color?

He had it all figured out. ROFL :)

There are alot of racists out there, which means there are alot of idiots out there.

Brooks

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
U know what I just realized? I think that if the title of this thread was "Why does everyone hate black people?" it would have been locked very quickly, regardless of the ensuing discussion. Anyone agree...? I'm not sure I'd blame the mods yet...still reflecting on that one!

Brooks

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Trinitron, don't take it personally. Although this was already stated, it is worth repeating; one person is hardly representative of "everyone" Messed up people come in all kinds of packaging.

CyberSax has it down though, as unfortunate as it may be. Racism is the norm across the world. In my opinion, the US is doing a decent (of course, never perfect) job of attempting to bring awareness and change to racism.

Brooks, not too sure of that myself. It would probably depend which direction the thread was taking.

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Maybe we should all just graduate to Paulsonism, then we'd all be part of the 'in' group.

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
ShortBus;

Speaking of Asians, the last time I was in China, 3 years ago, I met a young women with whom I found myself rather taken. She helped me learn to play Mahjongg (sort of a cross between dominos and gin rummy).

One day, I entered a room wherein she and two girl friends were talking about a fellow co-worker, a male, and his pony tail. They were cooing and giggling, apparently finding his hair style quite attractive. As I also wear a pony tail, easily twice the length of this particular gentleman's, I began coiling mine around a finger saying, "You mean, like mine?" ::wink ::wink

"Yes," she replied, "but your's isn't black."

Her meaning was a big disappointment to me, but not really a surprise.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
CyberSax,

That's fascinating, thank you for that perspective. If one only got their information from our media here in the states, one could easily assume that we were the only country in the world that had these problems.

Maybe the type of encounter that Trinitron had is a regional thing. I've lived in a predominantly minority neighborhood for the past ten years, and stop at the local grocery store almost nightly to grab dinner on the way home (they have a great bachelor dept.:)).

The customer base, as well as the employees, are predominantly black. I've never had an encounter that comes close to what he outlines. Is it the area of the country? It would be interesting to study racial attitudes based on region.

Russ, NCNE

highme

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2000
apoppin- Not trying to start static here, but your facts are a little skewed. The first skinheads did come from England in the 60's. However, they were black and white. Color didn't matter, it was a working class thing. It wasn't until the National Front, an organized racist group came into existence that the media started to paint a very disturbing picture. It didn't help that bands such as Skrewdriver and the violent acts of the National Front, and their American counterparts, The American Front, helped drive home this impression of an ultra racist group. But it's just like every group of people, there are some that are truly fvcked in the head. In fact, a good majority of skins, especially early skins, are very much into reggae and ska music. One of my favorite old reggae songs is by a band named Symaryp, an all black group, the song's name, "Skinhead Moonstomp".

Now about racism in America. Please don't lie to yourselves and think that we have fixed everything. It is still a very prevalent facet of our culture. It's just been driven undergound, there are plenty of racist idiots, they just hide it well. We may be on the way to healing ourselves, but we still have a long way to go yet. So my advice to those of an Anglo descent, if somebody lashes out at you verbally, deal with it, it is still far less than they will have to put up with. Just ask Mr. Diallo.

Wombat Woman-That law in OK City is pretty funny, considering original man is from Africa. Nobody could sleep in the city limits.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
One of my favorite old reggae songs is by a band named Symaryp, an all black group, the song's name, "Skinhead Moonstomp".

highme, that band is just as bad as the Skinheads, because they just RETALIATE and progress the anger from both sides.

Bands should be making music about tollerance and brotherhood if they are going to play the race card, that sounds corny I know, but I have just as little respect and reguard for Symaryp and I do the idiot skinheads.

Is it so friggin hard to just get along? If you don't have anything positive to say, just shut the hell up.

(As you can see racism gets me really worked up, I hate racism!)

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
I live in a redneck town, and there are very few black people here. But there is one guy, who is so nice, and alot of the white people here think it is funny to call him the "N" word. They do it jokingly, but when I try to tell them it is not right, they just tell me "Aw, he don't care about it, he never complains, so what's the big deal?" Well, the big deal, as I try to get through their empty skulls, is that how could he complain. He knows if he spoke up, they would beat the crap out of him, and he is by no means stupid. So he just grins and bears it, and they continue running their mouths. It really bothers me to see it. :(

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
highme, actually, I do know about the skinheads. I lived in Dublin from 1970-1973 and was actually a reporter for Creation Group Ireland - I did a feature story on them in 1973 from personal observation of the gangs.

It was a movement born out of working class poverty, unemployemnt and boredom and fit in very well with the existing gang culture. Later, about the time that the UK began to be flooded with immigrants, these immigrants were perceived to be taking jobs away from the 'native' working class and a terrible backlash began. And of course with the usual media feeding frenzy about the 'skinhead violence'.

I didn't go into any detail in my first post. Just a brief thumbnail from their beginnings to their later media image as racial bigots. Of course, even at their inception, there was violence associated with skinheads, suedeheads and bootboys. It was during my association with them that I came to love reggae and appreciate Bob Marley. However, don't paint them as angels. They were not.

Although I visited England many times, most of my 'research' focused on the Irish skinhead and I don't remember more than a couple of black members in their skinhead gangs. They mostly fought other gangs and destroyed property - not too racist back then but they were against 'foreigners' even in 1973.

As to racism in America - unfortunately it is very alive and pervasive.

BillyD

Jul 1, 2000
I'll joke around with black people, nothing serious. I was writting "KKK" and "White Power" on my black friends notebook and he was writing "Black Panthers" and "Black Power". :)

I only judge a person on how they act.

highme

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2000
Whoa there Trinitron. I too despise racism, and before you attack the band here are the lyrics to the song.

I want all you skinheads to get out your seat
Put your braces together and boots on your feet
and give me some of that old moonstompin

From there it's just old school ska, and pretty damn good at that. It's about partying and having a good time. No violence, no hatred.

I still say as a white man in America it's really damn hard to appreciate how bad racism is.

Apoppin Assumptions are a b!tch and I apolgize for making mine. You are correct that there are some seriously screwed up individuals. Even in S.H.A.R.P.
<beavis voice>You said Suedeheads, huh huh that was cool</beavis voice>
never would have expected that on a tech forum. And all I knew in 1973 was breastfeeding. But in the 1990's I was nutty as can be. Nutty = Not caring any which way.

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
You know, every one here is talking about how blacks were put into slavery, and skinheads hate blacks, blacks hate whites, and this is an intelligent discussion, but lets not forget what Hitler did the the Jews during the war, but the Jewish community does not seem to say &quot;If your German, or of German Decent, then you must hate Jews&quot;. Instead, they realize that the past is the past, they have tracked down the NAZI war criminals, but, they have not demonized an entire nation based on the past. I am considered white by birth, but I do possess Native American heritage by blood, Cherokee in fact. I also have Scottish and Irish in my heritage, none of my ancestors owned slaves, but many came over as &quot;indentured servants&quot; a form of slavery. As for the slavery of blacks, not just the white race is to blame. Many of the slaves were sold to the slave traders by rival tribes for rum. Go back and read you history books, also, read or watch &quot;Roots&quot; it is a very historically correct rendition of how many were sold into slavery.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
highme, where did you grow up? I loved Dublin - I moved there just out of high school. They called me suedehead because my hair was short - but too long for a skinhead. In doing my research, I got to hang with at least a dozen skinhead gangs (it helped 'cause I was from the States). Got to LOVE reggae.

Agreed, as a white person in America is is very hard to appreciate how bad racism is. That's why I suggested going as a black-white couple . . . you get it from both sides.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Well the jewish folk I know have never had anything good to say about Germans. Also, jewish people and black people fight more than whites do, or at least the ones I know. The only reason I can think that jews hate blacks is becuase the blacks enslaved the jewish race many hundereds of years ago in Egypt - this did happen no matter if you believe in God or not - but it comes down to that same issue, there is no one alive from that time period, so why fight about it?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
ufwald, the Jews have had a history of being persecuted, largely for differences in religion. I do know there is still prejudice against them in some parts of Germany.

As for the blacks being sold by rival tribes, that is absolutely no excuse for what the slavers did to them. The white churches said it was ok, that the blacks were subhuman. Their families were ripped asunder and they were cruely treated by largely white owners that treated them as property.

Not 'just' the whites were to blame is the height of ignorance. Whites orchestrated the slavery of blacks and they ripped apart a continent to do it. Much as they did to the red man.

EDIT:Trinitron, why fight about it? Because blacks are STILL treated as second class citizens in the USA. I am not black but I am colorblind.

Ulfwald

May 27, 2000
There is also no one around from the &quot;slave days&quot; in America, so why fight about it.

Let's face it, racism is everywhere due to people not having open minds, and being poorly educated. Like this bumper sticker I saw &quot;Hate is not a family value&quot;

Also, kids are taught to hate by their parents and so on. I am so tired of the hate, the racism, and having to watch what I say for fear of offending someone, or being deemed a racist. One time I described someone to a police officer as being &quot;A 6'4&quot; black male........and as soon as I said that, he called me a racist. I then told him to take a hike because it was just a physical description, not an assumption about his superiority or insuperiority.

I HATE RACISM, and PEOPLE WITH CLOSED MINDS

Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are fully opened.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
apoppin minorities are treated just as good as whites where I live. Florida is the most diverse state in the US, and we have more laws protecting races than anywhere esle. It's not us so don't try to blame me for wanting total peace! The rest if you need to get your act together!

And you talk about whites treating the blacks so bad, but it doesn't matter that their own people sold them to the Americans? Or that they enslaved an entire race of people (yeah every last one of them) in Egypt? Stop trying to make me out as a bad guy! I am not racists, and I don't have to take this kind of crap from you or anyone esle.

Ulfwald

May 27, 2000
I am not saying that the white man back then was not to blame, they did create the market, but all I am saying is that the white man is not the only one to blame, and the white man did RIP apart the Native american nation as well. I am not proud of what the white culture has done in the past, but I will not be blamed for something I had no part in. I myself attend a Jewish synagouge as a place of worship and I here all the stories, there are several members who a Holocaust survivors. We also have many blacks who attend as well.

Once again, I say racism is propagated by ill educated hate mongers on all sides, no one race is guilty or not guilty. I am just sorry that it even exists. As far as I am concerned we are all part of one race, the human race.

red, I hope you meant that jokingly :p

Apoppin

Many slaves were treated poorly, but most were treated well by their owners, cause if they wern't taken care of, they couldn't work, and if they couldn't work, then the crops were not tended to.
Many slaves also fought in the Cival war on the side of the South because they actually cared for the people that they worked for.
It was after the war that many suffered because they no longer had the medical care, food, clothing, shelter, or jobs. Many went back to work for the same people that owned them, and were still taken care of. Don't just accept one side of history, it is usually written by those who won, you very rarely get to know the loser's side unless you dig REAL deep.