Why does everyone hate white people?

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Today I am in the super market, and a black man bumps into me and tells me many obscene words, and includes a mass of racial slurs against me and white people in general.

I know that whites in the United States are the majorirty of people, but the minorities seem to be becoming even more racist. Somehow in todays society it's ok for minorities to be racist, and no one cares.

The black man in the market called me a dirty slave owner... there haven't been slaves in the US since 1865, so why am I still persecuted for something that happened 150 years ago, that was before I was born?

Also what makes me even more angry is this, my reletives came to the United States from Europe in 1895 - well after slavery had ended. None of my ancestors ever owned slaves, and they were also not biggoted torwards blacks. So why do I have to take all this heat just becuase I am white! Thats just as racist as me calling some one a dirty slave just becuase they are black! Not all blacks ancestors were claves! I have neigboors who moved here from Africa, they are black and never once were they slaves or any of their family slaves!

This really disturbs me, I hate racism, and I hate being harrassed and persecued by minorities for no damn reason except that I am white.

Oda

Oct 30, 1999
I'm sure that particular black person is not indicative of all black people in general. It probably seems to you that 'everyone hates white people' because you're not used to abuse racially and the small number of incidents you see/experience get magnified.

I'm in Australia and analogies can be found. Some Aboriginals get hopelessly hooked on alcohol (the minority) and many associate alcohol abuse with Aborigines, even though most are quite 'normal'.

If I may, I would like to term this the 'Virtual 80/20 Rule' where 20% of a given population seems to do 80% of the bad work. But then the 80% adds to the 20 and hey presto! 100% of the population seem to be doing the bad work.

Just a theory anyway ;).

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
I don't hate white people.

Cook one over a spit. With the right creole seasoning, can taste just like chicken.

People: The other white meat.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
The whole slavery thing is rarely brought up today (at least around here), so I hope you won't be hearing much of that anymore. Maybe you should've messed with his head, you coulda told him the story about your ancestors! :p He would've said someything like &quot;Why are you telling me this?!&quot; or maybe he would've apologized, who knows? heheh

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
That is indeed a very strange encounter. As a fellow Caucasian, I can't say that I've had an experience that's even remotely similar.
Don't lose sleep over it. He seems disturbed. Who knows, he could have just gotten out of Bellevue or something.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It just shows you that no race has a monopoly on racism. There are idiots in every race, and you just happened to run accross a black idiot. Of course, in many poor and mostly minority community, the poverty is seen to be a result of the actions of the 'white man' (which is probably at least partially true), so the people have some resentment towards the caucasians.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Many blacks are taught to hate whites. The teachings of the Black Muslims focus on the superiority of Blacks.

It appears that the years of prejudice against Blacks by Whites is reaping what has been sown. Not just slavery, but the racial attutudes that have continued till this day. The Ku Klux Klan is still very active. It wasn't long ago that Dr. M.L. King led marches or the buses, public restrooms and schools were segregated.

It's really too bad - we are all one race, the human race.

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you can find it, listen to that song by DCTalk &quot;Colored People.&quot; Its a cool song for this topic...

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, since 'white' people are pretty much in charge of everything, coupled with recent century's abuses of people of 'color' by 'white' people, anger and resentment toward 'whites' is comman and should come as no suprise.

I have several Haitian and Dominican friends and clients who have said that 'black'-on-'black' discrimination in their home countries is far more pervasive and intense than any 'white'-on-'black' discrimination they've experienced in the US, and they are very glad to be here.

I have clients from most Central American countries and many South American countries, many own and operate construction-related businesses. Mexicans won't work on crrews with El Salvadorians, who won't work with Guatemalans, who won't work with Colombians, who won't work with Cubans, who won't....none of them seems terribly willing to work with people of nationality not their own, so it seems that everyone can come up with a reason to dislike someone else, some vocally.

I'm 'white', daily I work with all 'colors', and I try to help everyone to be more fully integrated into the US system for their benefit, and ours.

I had a similar experience at a supermarket checkout stand here in S. Floriduh, several years ago. I was placing my groceries on the check-out conveyor and a woman of 'color' came up behind me and started placing her food on the belt, too. Since I didn't need all the room on the conveyor that my groceries were occupying, I began moving my food forward to give her more room. Well, the woman said to her daughter in a very loud voice, &quot;You see. He don't want our food touching his food!&quot; I said &quot;No. mam, I'm just making more room for you.&quot; She went off the deep end accusing me of not liking black people, and making such a scene that everyone for two check-out counters in each direction was watching. I quietly stood their in a passive manner and let her vent.

Then, after awhile, as I was readying to pay for my groceries, I turned to the woman, still harranging me, and said in a voice even louder than her own (I used to make my living speaking to large groups of people, and am quite good at voice projectionj, &quot;Mam, the only thing bigger than your mouth is the space between your ears.&quot;

Collecting my groceries I left her at the checkout stand, still screeching.

In the parking lot, as I was loading the groceries in the car, two men of 'color', two large men, drove passed, stopped the car, and got out. Coming over to me I thought my time was near. They broke into big smiles and said that they wanted to come by and apologize for what the woman had put me through, that they had seen everything from the start, and that they didn't want me to think that all black people were like her. We laughed about it for awhile, shook hands, and then went our respective ways.

People are people, some more in control of their irrational emotions than are others.

:)

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

<< I thought my time was near. >>

LOL :D

Trinitron, don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch. Who knows, maybe some white guy confronted that guy in the same manner and he got the wrong idea about white people? You never know

stomp

Oct 9, 1999
I've been mistreated before because of my color (indian, as in country), as have my folks, so subtley and obviously by white people that most people don't notice it... ever not get helped at stores? ever been definately SEEN and another person gets waited on first? These small things are EVERYWHERE by even the most &quot;not racist&quot; white person... the point I'm getting at is that racism will always be present, and not in always obvious forms.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Trinitron -- Guess it shows that, like other human characteristics, stupidity knows no racial boundries. At least the guy didn't get hung on the spot for mouthing off.

On the other hand, maybe if he had been, it would have been an improvement to the human gene pool, regardless of this particular moron's color. (Yes, I am j/k.)

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
I live in Georgia, and you will still find people who will not let the prejudice of there parents and grandparents go, they carry it on just because its been taught to them all there life. However, you will find some of the most color blind people who will bend over backwards for you as well here. Being only 21, I sometimes forget what happened not 40 years ago with civil rights and how blacks and other minorites were treated then. Thankfully I have parents who taught me that people are to be respected for who they are and not for who they were born.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
If you have any doubts about racial prejudice, try going as a black-white couple into a restaurant or other public place anywhere in the United States. It sure opened my eyes to prejudices I didn't even realize were there.

You are absolutely right stomp. Prejudice and racism are lying beneath the surface (and sometimes right in the open) in so many people.

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
Damn, I was just about to say that. All people are equally stupid no matter what color their skin is.

SUOrangeman

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I just hope that these isolated incidents become more and more isolated ... even to the point of disappearing.

-SUO

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Hey jonnyGURU,

Let me borrow that recipe sometime.My friend Hannibel is coming to town in a few weeks.

WombatWoman

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2000
Growing up in Oklahoma, I got a pretty close-up view of prejudice, since my father was a mixed-race individual (we called such persons &quot;colored&quot; back in the 1950s.) I am very fair-skinned, since I take after my mother, who is a redhead. When my father and I rode the city bus, he had to sit in the back, but I was allowed to sit up front, since people took me for white! And, of course, I've been &quot;passing for white&quot; (an archaic, but real term) ever since.

Any kind of racism is unfortunate, but it's certainly quite understandable that some black people resent white folks, considering how recently the back-of-the-bus, separate-drinking-fountain mentality was not only tolerated, but mandated by law in many states. When I attended the University of Oklahoma in 1965, there was still a city ordinance on the books in Norman, Oklahoma that made it a crime for any Negro to spend the night within the city limits! A &quot;Negro&quot; was defined as &quot;Any person of Negro ancestry&quot; (talk about your circular definitions!) So, technically, I was breaking the law by sleeping in my own dorm room in Oklahoma, my native state!

thirdkind

Oct 9, 1999
I could never figure out why people would dislike one another because of irrational race-related fears and prejudices, especially when there are so many other perfectly valid and rational reasons to hate people ;)

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
Actually racism's not so bad in the U.S. It's really horrendous elsewhere in the world though. In the U.K., they don't have organized racism like the KKK, but they have a much more pervasive societal racism that makes life a b|tch for colored people. When we came to the U.S., we were damn surprised that white clerks at fast food restraunts would smile at you and thank you, courtesy that white clerks in the U.K. would only return to fellow white folk. When we ate out at a McDonald's in the U.K., the employees would just sneer at you and make you feel as if you were doing them a favor by buying food there. Also, here in the U.S. if you get passed up for a promotion because your boss is a bigot, or don't get hired because of your color, you can take some action against it. In the U.K. that wasn't even a concept, it was just a way of life.

I literally did not even know that there was a term for how we got treated in the U.K. because it was so commonplace that there was nothing to distinguish it from and no real need to have it in the dictionary: racism.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Well, CyberSax the skinhead movement started in the UK in the late '60s. That is one racially bigoted group that organized violence against non-whites. Maybe not the KKK.

Brooks

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
That sucks CYbersax :( Believe me when I say that moving away from the UK is good for everyone, not just minorities!! I used to live there!

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I intellectually appreciate that there is but one race of humans, each person 99.9% gentically identical to every other human, and 95.5% genetically identical to chimpanzes.

I also intellectually know for certain that what we call racism, as if we were significantly different from one another, afflicts me, for when I think about it, I am glad to have the good fortune to be white.

I've reflected on this many times, for it makes me uncomfortable. I must admit to relief being able to enjoy the circumstantial advantages being 'white' has conveyed upon me, like the economic advanatges of having won the lottery.

I try to be good and helpful to all (until I know it isn't individually deserved), regardless of color or cultural (not always philosophic, though) distinction, but it never seems to be enough to allieviate that certain measure of guilt over having to be associated with those intellectually lazy, pale-pigment associates who continue to act like the inbred cretens they are so good at exemplifying, or for the broad genetic association with all the bigots, pale or otherwise, that numerously litter the planet, and are cretens no less, too.

Diversity is a strength, not a weekness. Are we not the most diverse nation on the planet, and the most affluent?

It is not a coincidence.