Why does ATI choose Africa to launch R600?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: 40sTheme
Gstanfor you are an obvious nVidia troll and it disgusts me.

That's what he was shooting for my friend. One can pursue hard enough anything in life to obtain it. Gstanfor has excelled here. Even though it is a place where not many would like to be. Go figure. He worked very hard to get to the point where nobody, at any time, would take him seriously. Hey, if he wanted to be considered a joke around here, then he got what he wanted. Congrats to him.

On Topic:

Still on the lookout for other sources to confirm this launch info. Nothing yet.

dreddfunk

Jun 30, 2005
The video forum might as well be a political forum. Just exchange nVidia and ATI (rather nvidiot and fanatic) for Republican and Democrat.

The point of competition isn't winning, it's producing the best performance. So, unless there are some closet ATI/nVidia marketing folks in Video, no poster/consumer should really be rooting for either side.

The only thing that I can imagine--and there is a bit of it here--is some mild rooting for ATI to get back into the game with a sound product so that the consumer benefits.

Africa seems like a strange move, if true. The last part is the important part, however.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
I'm afraid that AMD and the ATi supporters are currently living in cloud cuckoo land. Witness the following AMD employee comment

interview with John Byrne, VP of Worldwide GPU Channel Sales
X-bit labs: The introduction of the code-named R600 will be the second time when ATI/AMD is several months late to market compared to the arch-rival Nvidia. Do you have a strategy to evade the same going forward?

John Byrne:
Traditionally, at ATI, we have always had a strong dedication to quality ? and this is an ethos that is shared with our colleagues throughout AMD. Quality means putting out the best solution possible ? not rushing products to market. We are very confident in both our DirectX10 hardware and WHQL-certified drivers for XP and Vista.

So, according to AMD R600 is late at all its simply a quality product compared to the rushed to market G80... Mind you AMD executives appear to have a rather warped concept of quality if they think it implies, huge, hot, loud, late, expensive, underperforming product...

JHH got it right when he foretold that ATI (AMD) must be smoking something hallucinogenic (remember at the time those comments were made nvidia had just begun work on g80 - then nv50)...

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I think it's just cheaper to through a party there, since we have internet no matter we can all watch it online here.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Well, whatever. If it's not launched within driving distance for me and or there is no chance I can get in, they can launch it from the moon it won't make a difference. Although I bet AMD will be footing the bill for representatives from the tech sites and the media to attend the event.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Mind you AMD executives appear to have a rather warped concept of quality if they think it implies, huge, hot, loud, late, expensive, underperforming product...
Or perhaps they are talking about driver quality.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
I think they should concentrate on getting R600 out the door first, driver quality second, although that isn't what he meant at all.
Quality means putting out the best solution possible ? not rushing products to market

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I think they should concentrate on getting R600 out the door first, driver quality second,
That's what nVidia did and a lot of people are still unhappy with the state of Vista drivers.

although that isn't what he meant at all.
Your quote doesn't refute my theory in the slightest.

AbydosDallas

Mar 19, 2007
While this is merely a thought on this thread, a new product released in a country that is not well-know for possessing a market for a high-end video solution, does not seem logical. To gain exposure for such a product, a company would want the maximum press it could obtain. An opposing argument could be made that it may be cheaper for the company to do so in that geographical location. Many speculative arguments could be made for either view. While the delays have been making enthusiasts anxious for a response to the G80, only time will tell. As an enthusiast, it is easy to get stirred-up by an article about a new release. However, until the day it happens (with actual final production hardware running in the same room), it also seems logical to maintain a bit of skepticism on the very information on which this thread is based. Regardless of which GPU manufacturer you prefer, I think most of us will agree that we get excited about how the next best processor will perform. Simply put, maybe it would be wiser just to continue holding our breath until the next shot is fired vs. debating when/where/why?

nrb

Feb 22, 2006
The launch is happening in Tunisia because the senior AMD (or possibly ATI) executives fancied a holiday somewhere hot where they could go on safari.

And that's a perfectly serious suggestion, btw.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: nrb
The launch is happening in Tunisia because the senior AMD (or possibly ATI) executives fancied a holiday somewhere hot where they could go on safari.

And that's a perfectly serious suggestion, btw.
so r600 would feel right at home?
:Q

:D

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Safari? A lot of Tunisia is the Sahara Desert.

Given their recent performance, a desert environment may just what a lot of AMD executives are currently seeking... A creature unable to adapt swiftly to change swallowed up by the silicon it once exploited...

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Originally posted by: Ackmed

I just don't understand their marketing dept. Either they have no clue, or are too ingenius for me to understand there motives. You tell me. ;)

Or, you believe everything you read on the internet again. ;)

Well, the info came from "somewhere". The better question would be, why don't you believe it? ;)

Its an easy answer. Its from the Inq, and doesnt seem very plausible.

I simply dont believe everything I read, without facts to back up an article. The Inq is very, very well known for being unreliable, yet you posted as if its article is factual.

I dont believe anything they say, no matter if its about NV, ATi, Sony, Microsoft, etc. I dont read the site, I think its a waste of time.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003

I just don't understand their marketing dept. Either they have no clue, or are too ingenius for me to understand there motives. You tell me. ;)

Or, you believe everything you read on the internet again. ;)

Well, the info came from "somewhere". The better question would be, why don't you believe it? ;)

Its an easy answer. Its from the Inq, and doesnt seem very plausible.

I simply dont believe everything I read, without facts to back up an article. The Inq is very, very well known for being unreliable, yet you posted as if its article is factual.

I dont believe anything they say, no matter if its about NV, ATi, Sony, Microsoft, etc. I dont read the site, I think its a waste of time.

That's wonderful.