Why does ATI choose Africa to launch R600?

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
ATI to launch R600 in Africa

Am I missing something? Why Africa? Is there a tech boom there? Is there an enormous market to play to over there? Why not launch it in the UK or the USA, or even ASIA??? The biggest consumers of consumer electronics??

I just don't understand their marketing dept. Either they have no clue, or are too ingenius for me to understand there motives. You tell me. ;)

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I'm shooting in the dark but mabe it's the only place they can provide enough cards to at launch without a shortage?

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Didn't think of that, and it's a good shot in the dark at any rate. Well, at least we have a launch date(s). April 24/25. Lets see if they can hold to it this time.

SilentRunning

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
This just in...

African R600 launch to be overshadowed by annual Africa Malaria Day (April 25) :p

Africa Malaria Day = AMD

SilentRunning

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
What would be funny is if theinquirer saw a web post about AMD (africa malaria day) and thought it was referring to AMD's (advanced micro devices) launch.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I'd like to hear from some of the ATI faithful who may have some "inside info". Mainly in the form of "What the hell are they thinking?". They being AMD. Didn't ATI launch X1800 in Australia? Or am I thinking of something else.?>*&%

SilentRunning

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
I'd like to hear from some of the ATI faithful who may have some "inside info". Mainly in the form of "What the hell are they thinking?". They being AMD. Didn't ATI launch X1800 in Australia? Or am I thinking of something else.?>*&%

Africa Malaria Day (april 25) = AMD ... cruel joke, stupidity,or misinformation?

the Chase

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2005
Well if this story is true they are just launching the GDDR3 boards at that date. In Africa. So when do the GDDR4 boards so up for most of us?

Is anyone really going to buy one of these (either model)?? It's so late (May when you buy one) that you know both AMD and Nvidia will have something better in 1 to 2 months. Gigantic waste of $ to buy an R600 IMHO.

Sable

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2006
Originally posted by: happy medium
I'm shooting in the dark but mabe it's the only place they can provide enough cards to at launch without a shortage?

:laugh:

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
LOL, you guys really ARE harsh.

Out of curiosity, anyone here from the African continent?
Egypt, Morocco, Algeria... it's possible that there might be quite a few computer hobbyists over there as well... those countries aren't doing THAT bad from an economical point of view.

geo1

Apr 28, 2005

One might remember that the Inq previously reported from the 1st cancelled launch that it was launching in Amsterdam in mid-March . . . which also was not correct usage of the word "launch".

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
They should launch in Chicago or somewhere else near me so I can go and try to weasel a free card.

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Pretty hard to beleive they are launching in Tunis. However it does sound pretty exotic and maybe that is what they are shooting for in choosing such a location? Maybe they figure not to many people will show up and that way they are sure to have enough cards to go around.

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Gstanfor
A third world video card for a third world continent?

That was totally uncalled for.

And I think this may be a joke on the Inq's part.