Why do you need a 4WD V6 in suburbia?

speg

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2000
www.speg.com
Someone enlighten me as to why a 54 y/o single woman w/ two small dogs who lives in suburbia and drives ~19.5 km to work each day needs this. (it's a RAV4)

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Because there is no giant wall around suburbia and she might go the the hills on the weekend?

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
You are confusing needs and wants again. People with the money can choose according to their tastes. What is your problem? You mad because she doesn't make the same choice you would? Move to Russia where the choices are more limited and you won't get so worked up what others are doing.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
People buy what they want, and they want what tbey buy for all kinds of reasons, including a raft of non-logical reasons which are nevertheless important to them.

Let me ask you this: How many computers do you own?

Now, how many do you need?

See?

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Who the hell are you to question what someone else owns and uses? MYOB.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
You are confusing needs and wants again. People with the money can choose according to their tastes. What is your problem? You mad because she doesn't make the same choice you would? Move to Russia where the choices are more limited and you won't get so worked up what others are doing.

Lol, I agree with the first bolded part entirely, but, seriously, the 1950's called and they want their anti-commie meme back.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
there's a guy at work with a king ranch F350. the only way he can park is by backing down the entrance ramp into the garage and straight into a space. the entire of the engine bay sticks out past the tahoe that parks in the space next to him. that's with the F350 touching the wall. no idea why anyone would want that sort of thing in the city. too damn huge.

and keep in mind that the king ranch version has actual leather in it. not that plasticky crap that is in every other car on the road. so if it's out in the sun it will get ruined. a work truck it is definitely not.

i bet he has a ranch [style house] on 10,000 [square feet] with a herd of champion [shih tzus]

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
She drives a Rav4 and you think that's unreasonable. Start whining when she's driving a lifted suburban.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
there's a guy at work with a king ranch F350. the only way he can park is by backing down the entrance ramp into the garage and straight into a space. the entire of the engine bay sticks out past the tahoe that parks in the space next to him. that's with the F350 touching the wall. no idea why anyone would want that sort of thing in the city. too damn huge.

and keep in mind that the king ranch version has actual leather in it. not that plasticky crap that is in every other car on the road. so if it's out in the sun it will get ruined. a work truck it is definitely not.

i bet he has a ranch [style house] on 10,000 [square feet] with a herd of champion [shih tzus]

Yea, that I don't understand. Same with the Lincoln Mark LT - as if anyone uses that as a work truck lol.

As for the RAV-4, it's still a compact SUV, and I don't think the V6 gas mileage is much worse than the 4-cylinder version.

Why would she want one? Maybe:

AWD is easier to drive in snow
Wants cargo room for bikes/sports gear on the weekends
Wants cargo room for road trips with friends

Anyways, it's not an Escalade or a ridiculously oversized truck, so I don't see the problem.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
I find it comical that we tout "The American Dream" of being able to afford the things you want in life - and then ridicule those who do.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I find it comical that we tout "The American Dream" of being able to afford the things you want in life - and then ridicule those who do.

Especially since everything we do is in excess.

Why own a car? Walking or biking is fine. You could have a neighborhood car/truck sharing program for times when you need one.

Why have a big house with a big yard? You could squeeze houses closer together, making your walk/bike commute shorter. You don't need a yard, especially if you can walk over to a nearby park.

Why have more than a few pairs of clothes? A few of everything is plenty.

etc

etc

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Someone enlighten me as to why a 54 y/o single woman w/ two small dogs who lives in suburbia and drives ~19.5 km to work each day needs this. (it's a RAV4)

wow. stalker much?

you seem to know waaaay to much about this woman.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Which suburb are we talking about here?

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but this past winter was pretty bad on the east coast as far as snow goes. There were plenty of times I wish I had a 4WD vehicle.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Quit pissing and moaning. A RAV4 is 10 times more practical than what most people are driving these days.
And technically, you dont NEED anything besides food, shelter, and clothing. If the only argument you can come up with is NEED then you clearly dont understand America.

Also, my mom has one and every so often I drive it to the car wash for her or maybe the auto joint. That little fucker is FAST! You really shouldnt have so much power in a tiny, unstable vehicle. I have to retrain myself every time I get in it to gently tap the gas pedal, or else I end up doing things I dont wanna do, like 50 in a 25.
I have no idea what the fuel economy is compared to the 4 cylinder. I do know that in her year, finding V6's was a serious hassle. From this year on it looks like RAV4's will have more V6's than 4 bangers.

Last edited:

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Which suburb are we talking about here?

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but this past winter was pretty bad on the east coast as far as snow goes. There were plenty of times I wish I had a 4WD vehicle.

The thing I don't get with the plastic mini SUVs is... There are AWD cars that are more capable. wtf is the point?

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Need? Maybe not, but since the woman in question is paying for what she wants to drive, get over it. You have no input nor indignation to waste on what she chooses to drive.

Until you start making the vehicle payments and insurance payments for this woman, you have little room to question what she chooses to drive.