Why do YOU hate EA?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Arg Clin

Oct 24, 2010
I hate EA because, in my view, they've ruined BioWare. A developer that would consistently produce superb, sophisticated RPGs are now reduced to putting out GoW-lite clones (Mass Effect 2&3) and a weak attempt at an action-RPG hybrid that suffered from too little development time. It is as if EA has forced BioWare to strip out complexity from their titles lest the 'average' consumer not stick around to puchase DLC which, in many cases, could have shipped with the original game.

Although I would be disappointed that BioWare had chosen to simplify game mechanics, it wouldn't sting as much if the new direction they were pushing their RPGs -- the moral decision model -- was implemented in a meaningful, mature manner. Instead, gamers are left with simplistic, Manichean decisions that fail to reflect the confused and capricious nature of the world.

Additionally, I dislike that I will have to use Origin for all future EA titles. Although I find this annoying, I wouldn't hate them for promoting their platform -- my principal grievance is the baleful influence they seem to be exerting on some of their biggest devs.
This.

What has happened to Bioware is disgrace. It would seem to me that EA is set on raping Bioware franchises for maximum short term profit.

NTAC

May 21, 2003
I only hate them for ruining next gen Madden.

They got exclusive rights to the license, which I know is not their fault, but the NFLs, but then proceeded to absolutely and utterly destroy the game on the PS3 / 360.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
This.

What has happened to Bioware is disgrace. It would seem to me that EA is set on raping Bioware franchises for maximum short term profit.

Thats my problem with all corporations.

The corporation that owns the software I use professionally is all hell bent on short term gains right now and the entire user base is like WTF :twisted:

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
I never thought much about EA... until I got Dragon Age 2 and experienced with horror the kind of change they brought about to the series. Reading about how they plan to bring similar changes to future Bioware series (i.e. to make them appeal more to the larger casual gamers base), I can only pray they don't ruin things too far for the rest of us.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
O how I hate thee, EA. Let me count the ways............

1. Origin
2. Banning people from everything EA over trivial matters
3. Censoring/banning people for trying to help others on their support forums
4. Money hungry policies that crush developer innovation
5. .......

Ahh fark it, this list could go on forever. EA are a bunch douche-wads, lets just leave it at that.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I don't have any hate for EA. Sure I dislike a few things that they do. But really, of the games that I own from them, I like them, I play them, and don't have any huge complaints.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
To quote the great bard, "Familiarity doth breed contempt". EA is infamous for their desire to become a monopoly and their predatory business practices. Misleading advertising, broken promises to consumers, ruining developers, censoring people, and on and on and on. Corporate culture at its absolute worst.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I like BF3/BFBC2 but hate EA and Origin.

I also like the CoD series but despise Activision & Steam for the same reasons I hate EA and Origin. And since the release of MW2, Ive added Infinity Ward to my shit list for that abomination known as IWNET.

You could say Im an equal opportunity hater. :D

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Oh don't forget Mythic, bought them out, went downhill.

Bought them out, like many, thought with EA they could make better games. Instead they get the chopping block.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
I don't hate them, but they haven't seen a penny from me since 2001 or 2002 whenever I bought my last Madden game.

Their business model is HORRIBLE for gamers, I don't care how good Dragon Age was or any future game MIGHT be, if it is in any way shape or form tied back to EA I'll not spend a dime on it... I will however borrow it on PS3 (DA:O that is) :)

But seriously what they did with Madden and the NFL along with countless other examples is reason enough to never support them. I don't just say I don't support them, I constantly vote with my wallet and don't support businesses that I don't like.

If people don't take a stand they'll continually ram shit down our throats until it's too late to change the market.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
There's a bunch of reported criticism-related stuff on EA's Wikipedia page. I'd say that personally what made me speechless recently were the forums and games banning stories, those were just excessively stupid things to do. Additionally, it does look like many game developers bought by them (or merged with them) produce lesser quality games compared to the games they used to produce "before" it happened (indeed, Mass Effect 2 and DA2 do come to mind, even though BioWare themselves certainly have their own role to play in there for a good extent).

J-Money

Feb 9, 2003
4. Money hungry policies that crush developer innovation

If developer innovation makes LESS money, why would ANY business on the planet go for it?

Haters would do TERRIBLY in the business world. They always use "money hungry" as an insult when every successful company is and should be "money hungry".

I for one don't hate on any company as several posters have also said. If it's a good product, I buy it. I don't care who made it. That goes for Google / Apple / EA / Microsoft and so on.

Last edited:

Arg Clin

Oct 24, 2010
If developer innovation makes LESS money, why would ANY business on the planet go for it?
Short term vs long term!

Making less money short term, but keeping customers happy is a very viable business model. Just not the one EA employs unfortunately. They go with the opposite option; screw the loyal customers over to maximize short term profit. Our "hate" is a calculated business risk for EA - and it is the natural and inevitable outcome of EA's business model.

It makes perfect sense to me in a business context.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
lets see:

1. Banning on forums means loss of your games, even if you did nothing. example:

User 1 makes post, doesnt break rules, post is 100% legit and fine, such as "I love Mass Effect 1".

User 2 makes post "Fuck you User 1"

User 1 and User 2 both get banned by automatic forum software and User 1 looses all game linked to that forum account for doing absolutly nothing wrong.

2. DRM, i think this doesnt need further explanation it has got enough press, needless to say online requirements for single player games is retarded.

3. There ability to buy a good studio and run it into the ground, one time wouldnt be so bad but this has happened to dozens of studio's.

This is why i Will never buy a EA game at full price ever. I Will only purchase them on steam when they hit less than $5 and only if the DRM has been patched out. And I will never buy a game that requires a origin/forum account as i dont want to loose my games if someone happens to swear with my username in the same post.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
Short term vs long term!

Making less money short term, but keeping customers happy is a very viable business model. Just not the one EA employs unfortunately. They go with the opposite option; screw the loyal customers over to maximize short term profit. Our "hate" is a calculated business risk for EA - and it is the natural and inevitable outcome of EA's business model.

It makes perfect sense to me in a business context.

The loyal customers are too few for EA to bother with, whether it is a long-term thing or a short-term thing.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
By countless you mean a few thousand? It isn't worth their time or investment over such a niche market.

Personally, I got nothing against EA. It's been a looooooong standing tradition to hate on EA, but half the games I buy are EA...

Plenty of people would be playing madden on PC if they had the option, plenty more than just a few thousand that's for damn sure. I still play EA titles, but that doesn't stop me from disliking some of the moves they make with the games they put out.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
I only hate them for ruining next gen Madden.

They got exclusive rights to the license, which I know is not their fault, but the NFLs, but then proceeded to absolutely and utterly destroy the game on the PS3 / 360.

Wrong, EA has the contractual rights to develop Madden for the PC, console and mobile device's. They're the ones who choose not to.

Jan 13, 2009
To quote the great bard, "Familiarity doth breed contempt". EA is infamous for their desire to become a monopoly and their predatory business practices. Misleading advertising, broken promises to consumers, ruining developers, censoring people, and on and on and on. Corporate culture at its absolute worst.

This ^

I've got nothing against a business trying to make a profit, but when you have a bunch of pencil-pushing morons making stupid decisions and thinking they have to screw their customers to make a profit, that's when it gets annoying.

Yes, I love BF3, even with all it's shortcomings, such as no VOIP (which, being the type of game it is, is required), but that doesn't mean I have to like Origin or EA.

tedrodai

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2006
This response is pretty much why I ask. I have heard people hating on ea for years yet I bet most ea haters buy ea games regardless of the hate. Other than them rushing out games I have no problems with ea. People say they buy devs out all the time and hate ea for doing so but why not hate the devs? They are the ones who sold to ea.

It's all business decisions, sure. I've hated EA for years cuz of most of the reasons people hate them, but it's all along the lines where big corporate business decisions get in the way of otherwise really enjoyable (or possibly really enjoyable) gaming experiences. I understand that business decisions must be made. I just find the big-business cons outweigh the pros more often than not for my own personal gaming tastes.

It's not a big deal...it's not some seething hatred that makes me want to key their cars or anything. I just don't buy games with negative features I can't stand. I've only bought 2 EA games in 5 years, and it's not because I hate EA...it's cause I don't find the games they've spit out appealing for some reason or another. When they come out with games I find really awesome that don't have some really nagging downside, I still buy it. They're hardly the only company that makes decisions I don't like.

tedrodai

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2006
Wrong, EA has the contractual rights to develop Madden for the PC, console and mobile device's. They're the ones who choose not to.

Not sure exactly what you're saying wrong to...that it isn't the NFL's fault for giving the exclusive rights to EA? Yeah it is. I'm not a fan of what EA's done with it over the years, and with other sports franchises, but EA owning the exlusive licenses is what hurts the most in the long run.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Oh man i feel a rant coming on, ill just shorten it to a few points:

- Ruined C&C
- Ruined Dungeon keeper (they cancelled DK3 for a fecking harry potter game)
- They sit on intellectual property and do nothing with it! At least activision sold all their IP they weren't going to do anything with.
- Ruined Simcity
- Ruined Spore (it would have been better without EA's influence)

I dont think EA have actually put out any good games, they just buy developers with actual talent and milk them to the ground (mass effect and dead space and battlefield seem to be the exceptions).

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I hate Origin... not EA...

But EA owns origin... so yeah... thats the only thing i hate about EA.