Why do you click "Start" to shutdown Windows??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ness1469
On the one that lets you do any amount of letters... could I change it to absolutely nothing? Personally, the windows logo is enough for me to click... If I leave the space blank or just but in some whitespace will it display nothing?

Try it!

;)

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
it works! Weee! a whole 50 pixels more taskbar space ;) haha

Now, I wonder if there is a way to put the start button as a quick launch icon ;)

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Then you get the fun scandisk routine at startup! weee!!!

Some newer systems trigger Start...Shutdown...Turn Off by simply pressing the power button.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: mpitts
I don't have a Start button on this computer.
I don't either, and I'm actually using Windows. I also never really wondered why it was called the start button...it did stuff, so M$ needed a catchy name. Never realized it meant anything :). Ah, Win95 beta memories...crashalicious.

However, I'm the kind of person that will just push buttons....and push buttons.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Then you get the fun scandisk routine at startup! weee!!!
Not in Win2k/XP (not sure about 98 and ME) with a newer mobo. The power button is just like start->shutdown->shutdown or ctrl+alt+del->shutdown->shutdown.

McMadman

Mar 25, 2000
I can't for the life of me remember what I used to do this, but at one point in time this was my start menu

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: conjur
Oh... Change Start button text

Thank you for that link. I learned a lot from that site this morning... great reference page! It had a few pages that detailed how to change things I'd been meaning to fix with the UI but hadn't gotten around to researching yet... very nice site. I still have a lot to go through.

/Now with 'This space intentionally left blank' button. ;)

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: DaiShan
Who shuts down their computers?!?!

i do when I go to sleep,the one im my bedroom is noisy.

i have the 2 120mm fans in the case at 7 volt,but i guess i should have bought some quieter ones. ;)