Why do third person shooters still even exist?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Why do developers make games I don't like! Nothing pisses me off more than when a company makes a product I don't like...

Seriously?

Dec 28, 2001
Oh, here's a novel idea then; stop bitching, and play some other games. Your ranting is pretty weak and pointless, even accounting for the fact that it's a rant!

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
I disagree. Dead Space, Mass Effect, RE4/5, etc. all look great with the 3rd person view.

Yep, they're great. Avatar game was pretty lame though, you seemed to be off to the side too much. It was hard to get that character to go down a hallway straight.

I much prefer 1st person shooters but 3rd person in a good game is easy to get used to. In fact, in The Elder Scrolls where you had a choice of 1st or 3rd person, I opted for the 3rd person view because I liked to see the character running around.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Because a lot of these 3rd person games were designed for consoles.

Well the question was a originally half rhetorical and half factitious but
this answer appears to be the most logical.

I guess if we let our cats live indoors then we'll have to put up with having those smelly litter boxes around as well.
icon10.gif

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
I'm the opposite. I am so tired of first person point of view. third person os much better.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
First person view is better for aiming and shooting at targets, while third person view is better for everything else. Would you honestly have preferred Uncharted 2 if it was first person?

I've played plenty of straight up FPS action in my time and I welcome games that bring something new to the table. Cover systems, melee combat, environment interaction, and stealth are just a few examples of elements that I prefer from a third person viewpoint.

Last edited:

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Because they are fun? and there are many more things you can do involving a camera/character/scene when you aren't locked in to staring through a characters eyes. Also in most FPS games you're just a floating camera with an arm, which i see as more amateur.

Some people like getting new weapons, armor, etc and being able to see it on the character instead of seeing a higher number next to the "shield" readout etc.

I prefer 3rd person to first person actually, just have more fun playing them. Melee combat is much better, more fluid and entertaining, using cover is easier and more intuitive because you can see your whole body behind cover.

IMO there has been too great a focus on the First-Person perspective with little innovation.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Some games just work better in 3rd imo.

Personally I don't care as long as I enjoy the game.

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
Sometimes you like to see where the hell you're going. Doesn't make a big difference to me, some of them even control the same.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I actually get more immersion from 3rd person view; I don't know why.

I played Morrowind always in 3rd person. I liked to see my cool armor.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It was a novel idea back in the day but this is 2010. I loved resident evil 1 & 2 but if only I could have played the successors in first person. Obviously the gameplay would have had to change some.
I can't tell you how many good titles I've had to pass on because I can't get past the clunky childishness that is third person mode.
Seriously, how much work would it take to make mass effect 1&2 as a first person shooter with third person support?
I really believe it's time for third person perspective to just die and if game developers don't atleast start adding first person support it only goes to show a lack of ingenuity thereof.

Flame on.

I personally HATE the "over the shoulder" 3rd person view in today's "consolized ported" pc games - I just can't understand why the devs are choosing to use this type of view rather than the old school type 3rd person view [MMO's].

SuPrEIVIE

Platinum Member
Aug 21, 2003
well there are pros and cons to both, and if i were to pick id much prefer 1st person especially if goal is to have a more realistic shooter, but having either as options should exist for most games i believe.

In 1st person you are able to run and gun on most 3rd person games u cannot do that (maybe all because from what i recall only games that support both cameras allow run and gun in 3rd person)

In 3rd person as mentioned you have better awareness of your surroundings.

In 1st person aiming is more realistic and ergonomic.

In third person there are more gimmicky physics that could be good or bad like in GTAIV you have different ways of shooting while in cover.

It really comes down to a preference im generally not bothered by either as long as its done well.

Oct 4, 2004
Max Payne's shootdodge moves wouldn't have worked in first-person. Also, any action game that has a bit of emphasis on melee combat works great in third-person-view as well. It also works well with the GTA games. Running around as Niko Bellic, shooting stuff and getting hit by cars = fun in a way that wouldn't be possible in first-person-view.

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
I love it with Mass Effect since there's a LOT of cinematics and general dialogue in the third person. I mean, if the game just centered around the people you were conversing with, it couldn't focus on Shepard's character and interaction, which is a huge positive development in the series.

I dig both styles, and I like how they each fit perfectly in their corresponding games.

Can't really see people completely trashing third person shooters....but I guess haters gonna hate.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Yeah guys, I hate such 3PS games like Max Payne, the first Splinter Cell, GTA3/4. So childish it's like I'm playing a Disney game.

POV is a preference. If you don't like it, that doesn't mean they are bad games.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i wish there were more TPS's. I think the FPS market is well saturated. i enjoy both very much. It really all comes down to the gameplay style you want. Each have their place.