why do they use the term kool aid drinkers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Probably the same reason older people say they are going to make a Xerox of something.

After Googling for it on Bing, I tried to Xerox it on my DeskJet, but the ink leaked, so I had to use my last Kleenex to wipe most of it up, so I told my wife to pickup another box of Puffs by leaving her a Post-It note. I cleaned the rest up with Q-Tips. In the process of wiping up the ink, I received a nasty paper cut and applied a Band-Aid. I decided to have some Food Club brand Jello and those Pringles type of chips that Lays now makes. After this horrible lunch and experience with my DeskJet, I decided to go for a spin on my Yamaha Jet-Ski.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
After Googling for it on Bing, I tried to Xerox it on my DeskJet, but the ink leaked, so I had to use my last Kleenex to wipe most of it up, so I told my wife to pickup another box of Puffs by leaving her a Post-It note. I cleaned the rest up with Q-Tips. In the process of wiping up the ink, I received a nasty paper cut and applied a Band-Aid. I decided to have some Food Club brand Jello and those Pringles type of chips that Lays now makes. After this horrible lunch and experience with my DeskJet, I decided to go for a spin on my Yamaha Jet-Ski.

Polaroids?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It's interesting that if you call Obama supporters Kool-Aid drinkers it's acceptable, but if you call them watermelon eaters it's raciest. When you think about it, you almost have to be a bit of a bigot to make the connection.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
It's interesting that if you call Obama supporters Kool-Aid drinkers it's acceptable, but if you call them watermelon eaters it's raciest. When you think about it, you almost have to be a bit of a bigot to make the connection.
the term kool-aid drinker has been used without racial connotations for over 20 years.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Again, not that I would discourage anybody from taking LSD as it's something everybody should do, but the disconnect from reality is what the phrase comes from and it's been around since the 60s.

WTF? You'd recommend "everybody" try LSD?

I think you've taken too many hits.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004

i can see the OPs head exploding with outrage from that post.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Wow I can't believe it took that long for someone to get it.
I don't think the Jonestown connection was the question. It was why the expression is "drink the Kool-Aid" instead of "drink the Flavor Aid."

The answer is that Flavor Aid is not (and was not) a product familiar to Americans. "Kool Aid" has a lot more punch. :)

Feb 6, 2007
I don't think the Jonestown connection was the question. It was why the expression is "drink the Kool-Aid" instead of "drink the Flavor Aid."

The answer is that Flavor Aid is not (and was not) a product familiar to Americans. "Kool Aid" has a lot more punch. :)

Exactly. It's brand recognition. Like how people asking for a cola beverage will order a "Coke" regardless of what brand is being served. I can tell you personally I had never heard of "Flavor Aid" until today, and something about the name is immediately off-putting. It sounds like "flouride" or some sort of medicated topical cream. Or maybe Flava Flav's insect repellant; Flava RAID!