why do they make some volleyballs so hard?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
no, i don't bruise easily. the ball was hard. harder than usual, and yes, thinking back, it could have been over inflated.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Indoor balls are usually made of a softer leather so the impact on your arms will be a lot less. Outdoor ones are usually made of a harder, thicker leather to endure the rougher surfaces being played on. I've played with the really hard ones back then and after receive 2 or 3 serves the bones in my arms felt like they were going to break. I wouldn't even attempt to receive a spike with those outdoor balls.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: Gand1
Wait wait...this is the closet thing to a pic of mosh!!! I say post em in the pic member thread! :)

I think you posted a pic of everything but your head once, right mosh? or was that someone else?

you know, if you keep this up, we might be able to compile a pic of you by your individual body parts, lol.
i think i've posted every part individually somewhere.

I know where :evil:

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
i thought threads about hard balls went into YAGT forum (you know, the pervert forum)

*checks clock*

well, that comment took longer than i thought. :p

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: GuideBot
Wait wait...this is the closet thing to a pic of mosh!!! I say post em in the pic member thread! :)

I think you posted a pic of everything but your head once, right mosh? or was that someone else?

you know, if you keep this up, we might be able to compile a pic of you by your individual body parts, lol.

I know where :evil:

:Q ;)

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i thought threads about hard balls went into YAGT forum (you know, the pervert forum)

*checks clock*

that is because most of the perverts that used to hang in OT have all been diverted to the pervert forum, so they missed this thread

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Actually, I used to jump high enough where my face went above the net. I used to touch 11'2", so yes I did catch a lot of balls in the face. 70 mile an hour balls. Meh, you get used to it.

montypythizzle

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006
Originally posted by: TallBill
Actually, I used to jump high enough where my face went above the net. I used to touch 11'2", so yes I did catch a lot of balls in the face. 70 mile an hour balls. Meh, you get used to it.

I like fishnet stockings, on girls...

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: DefDC
Hehe.. I got into playing Wallyball before playing Volleyball. I about broke my hand trying to spike the first time in volleyball!

Wallyball is played with a spongy blue kickball-like ball. It's basically Volleyball in a raquetball court, where you can use the wall. It's fast and violent! :)

Comparatively speaking, Volleyballs are MUCH harder. I've had those bruises!

WTF they stole my idea, I always had that idea!!!

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

*checks clock*

that is because most of the perverts that used to hang in OT have all been diverted to the pervert forum, so they missed this thread

When did we get one of those, and why was I not notified??

Aug 23, 2000

So you went up for balls instead of going down?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Bruised a couple times. Broken nose.

If the ball was really that hard then the ball sucks and/or it was overinflated.

Also when you dig/bump, point your hands downward. You want the ball to hit the flat part of your arm, not the bone.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004

my brother plays outside hitter for his university and i feel the same way you are feeling.

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski

So you went up for balls instead of going down?

Blocking FTW

zerocool1

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
femaven.blogspot.com

:eek:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

all right guys, lets put the collective pervertedness and creepiness of ATOT together and find these pics! :laugh: