Why do the same infomerical people keep doing informercials?

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Is it because these people become somewhat "well known"?

I just saw the OxyClean guy doing some RotorMotor-type thing.

Does anyone else notice this?

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: iamme

I'm guessing it's probably because these people have chosen "doing infomercials" for a career. There's probably just a few companies doing them, and they're hawking a lot of products. In fact, if you've got the next "spraypainted hair" type thing, give 'em a call and they'll probably sell it for you.

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Idenity is good.

When you think Martha Stewart, you think K-mart...

That ronco guy, food dehydraters....

And Mario Andretti, indy cars...

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
It's the "Troy McClure Factor."

Hello, I'm <XXX>. You may remember me from previous paid commericals such as <YYY>.

-geoff

diskop

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: iamme

Easier to have a guy that people know, and perhaps trust if they bought something from them before, rather than a new guy each time.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: ggavinmoss
It's the "Troy McClure Factor."

Hello, I'm <XXX>. You may remember me from previous paid commericals such as <YYY>.

-geoff

LOL, that was the best explantion :D

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Reason 1: Many infomercials are made by the same company (Guthy-Renker), so they tend to use the same people.

Reason 2: If someone's infomercial sells a lot of product, they get more jobs.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Some friends of ours were returning from vacation in Miami and saw the guy that does those 2 minute commercials for oxyclean and other stuff getting into a Bentley. That would be enough of a reason for me.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Some friends of ours were returning from vacation in Miami and saw the guy that does those 2 minute commercials for oxyclean and other stuff getting into a Bentley. That would be enough of a reason for me.
Who? Billy? Does he have as much of a big mouth in person as he does on the Oxi-Clean informercials? You should have stuffed one of your socks in his mouth.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Billy Mays should win an Emmy for his brilliant work flogging all that Agent Orange stuff.
I actually wonder how infomercials keep being made. I don't know anyone who gets suckered in by them.
Or at least....no one I know will admit it.....

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: wje
When you think Martha Stewart, you think K-mart...
No, when I see Martha Stewart, I see ImClone and her wearing prison-issued uniforms.

/me pictures Martha in orange jumpsuit: "Today, on Martha Stewart Living, we'll bring you exciting fall fashion for the incarcerated woman, along with interior cell decorating tips for the new season.."