Why do the Israeli violations of Lebanese airspace continue unpunished?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Aimster, you are wrong. Hezbollah has been firing Katyushas at Kiryat Shmona and Metula for years. I myself once had to hit the shelter during a rocket attack on an otherwise peaceful morning. It didn't happen every day, or even every week but it did happen. And a cross border attack, such as the one Hezbollah launched before last years' war was not an everyday event.

Oh, and "most" Israeli tanks didn't get hit and/or destroyed, stop believing Al Manar.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: bsobel
Originally posted by: DarkThinker
Link
Israel is breaking international law on an almost daily basis under the watch of UN observers and forces, it has been violating Lebanon's airspace since years, who holds Israel accountable for this?Israel are the provokers in here, who stops them now?
I am sure if Hizbollah were to shoot down one of their jets, Lebanon will pay for it with blood and dollar. And I can see that happening soon should Israel keep sending their jets outside their territory.

Israel has a right to monitor Hizbollah. If the Lebanese want to step up and police them themselves, I'm sure Israel's need to do overflights will diminish.

BTW, great one sided commenting on the issue!

too true. first, i don't condone what we do. i don't believe it is right. however, during the second Lebanese war last summer, did the government do anything to stop the missiles? not really. so what are we supposed to do? just let the missiles come down and do nothing?

now I'm not saying that this is a justification of what we're doing, but Lebanon is not really a country. it is, but the government is very weak and the while country is a big mess because everybody fights there.

why can't these people understand that peace is better for all of us? the sanctions against the Hamas governments are proving to be a collective punishment and no it's not fair but what can we do? we evacuated Gaza and hoped that they would stop firing missiles. didn't help. they continue to fire missiles almost daily at Sderot (a city not far from the Gaza strip) and so we have no option but to utilize the only power we have against them: to stop supplies. this makes them angry and the cycle continues.

this isn't a simple problem. if you can provide a solution, go ahead. it's not that simple.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Aimster
Because Israel is the regional bully.
They are the most powerful.

If the Arabs cared maybe the Saudis to the right can donate some of their aircraft. They seem bored enough to purchase billions worth of EuroFighters.

...interesting statement. we have peace with Egypt, Jordan and other muslim countries. Syria is the only country bordering us that we don't have peace with (i'm taking Lebanon out of this cause there is no stable government there). The Hamas and Hezbollah continue to prod us with pellets. at a certain point, even though we try to ignore it, we can't stand it anymore and so we react.

imported_dna

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2006
Love your analogies Aimster -- worthless as usual.

It takes quite a leap of logic to assert that Hezbollah was aiming for military bases while their activity throughout the years is to the contrary. Also, one would think that you are completely ignorant of Nasrallah's speeches.

I don't know how your brain is working, since you wish to impose the weirdest restrictions on the discussion: you wish to ignore a major recent event that showed the character of these brave islamic fighters :roll: who went out of their way to get civilians killed, including prohibiting Christians villagers from leaving the hot zone.

If that doesn't tell you something about their character, and you still have the delusion that they were digging tunnels in order to get to "military bases", then good luck in life.

BTW, as to why Israel didn't advance much, well it would seem bad execution was part of it, and also the fact they were fighting with one hand behind their back, always being careful to minimize civilian casualties; can't say same the say about Hizzy.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Aimster
Here is an observation about you and Israel:
Israel is like your favorite football team. You will defend it. You will kill for it. You will never talk bad about it.

Same for many of our liberal members and Islamic Terrorism.