Why do ppl smoke cigs?

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
Cigs are the perfect example of comformist human nature. Smokers or not, we both agree that smoking is not beneficial in anyway. It costs money, health, stains, + everything. Majority of smokers were addicted during teen years and they continue to smoke simply because they're helplessly addicted.

I hope my dad would quit, he agrees with above...

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Because it's cool....and I'm a rebel...and a non-conformist...and fvck the establishment...and I like dropping $200/mo. on something that's nasty, polluting, carcinogenic, cancerous, etc.

rolleye.gif

Ladies Man

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
is not beneficial in anyway

give me a nice buzz and calms me down in situations that just might make me snap

so far they outway my death... with if i go by my family history will come sooner than the side effects of cigs... sooooo what do i care?

*me goes outside to light up.... mmm mmm good*

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
BEcause we are junkies, hooked on the drug. Cigs are as hard if not harder to give up as herion. Its one of the only drugs that when you see ppl do it you wanna do it too. Like when I see someone puffing a butt on TV or in the films, I get a craving. Plus it gets in every cell of your body, so you gotta fight it off mentally and physically. One time when I tried to quit, I got really constipated, but y'all don't need to hear about that. Plus fibre supplements and apples help that out.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
You forget that it IS a drug. It alters your body to make you feel a certain way. People like that.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Because for some reason they want to. What other reason do they need besides that?

Also, it IS an addictive drug, more addictive that heroin even, some say.

wnied

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally they start as a way to fit in. (Conformity) Then they become addicted to the nicotine and the habit of tossing one of those coffin nails in their mouths at stressfull times. Thus reinforcing a pattern which becomes hard to break on many levels. It either kills the smoker eventually or makes it incredibly hard to stop when they try to break the habit. Usually by the time they want to stop, they're too far gone anyway and end up fertilizer for the seasons next batch of tobacco crop.

Eitherway you look at it, its a no win situation.
~wnied~

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
everyone i know that has quit has done it cold turkey. of course, i don't know that many who've quit.

jfall

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2000
A person who has never smoked will never really understand. I don't really think the peer pressure is there as much as it use to be back a few years ago.. if I never smoked until now I don't think I would of ever started. When you try to quit smoking it is very hard to function, you get headaches.. can't sleep, and pretty much have no patients at all and can snap at anyone that looks at you strange. I quit smoking 1 week and 6 days ago.. and i'm doing pretty good.. I know if I have one puff of a cigerette it will all be over though.. that is literally all it takes.

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
Originally posted by: kami333
Better than poping a vein from stress.

the only reason smoking is 'calming you down' is because you're addicted to even begin with.
rolleye.gif

when I'm stressed, I go for a nice jog.. and jog the fvcking pressure off.. good for the body And mind! ;)

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: LOLyourFace

the only reason smoking is 'calming you down' is because you're addicted to even begin with.
rolleye.gif

when I'm stressed, I go for a nice jog.. and jog the fvcking pressure off.. good for the body And mind! ;)

The addiction isn't what calms you down. It's the drug.

jteef

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2001
I thought nicotene was a stimulant rather than a depressant. I think its the whole starving your brain of oxygen thing that "calms you down"

jt

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
this thread reminds me of most car threads here.

It's the "I have never smoked, but I read all about it in a magazine" crowd congratulating themselves on their extensive first hand knowledge...
rolleye.gif

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Mwilding
this thread reminds me of most car threads here.

It's the "I have never smoked, but I read all about it in a magazine" crowd congratulating themselves on their extensive first hand knowledge...
rolleye.gif

Unfortunately, my family and I are seeing the affects of smoking first-hand.

With that being said, my father-in-law has been a smoker for 50 years. However, now he is in the hospital with 3 - yes "3" aneurysms. Only 1 has been operated on because the pressure was so bad in one leg, the operation was required to restore the circulation. However, it appears to be too little, too late. He'll have one more operation tomorrow in an attempt to restore the blood flow. If it can not be restored, amputation will be the answer - somewhere below his knee. Due to his age, he will be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life. Plus, he will have to move out of his apartment to an assisted living facility. Additionally, the issue with his 2 additional aneurysms is still there and he is suffering from hardening of the arteries.

Certainly, smoking has had a great effect on his health.

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: BatmanNate
Are you talking Cigars too?

I actually enjoy a nice, semi-expensive cigar once in a while. I do it for the taste, and the slightly relaxing effects of tobacco. When I smoke a cigar, I know I am enjoying 100% pure tobacco, not the sh!t they throw into cigarettes. Cigars are typically worse for your health than cigarettes, but I don't smoke to "conform" to any groups or whatever.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Zugzwang152
Originally posted by: BatmanNate
Are you talking Cigars too?

I actually enjoy a nice, semi-expensive cigar once in a while. I do it for the taste, and the slightly relaxing effects of tobacco. When I smoke a cigar, I know I am enjoying 100% pure tobacco, not the sh!t they throw into cigarettes. Cigars are typically worse for your health than cigarettes, but I don't smoke to "conform" to any groups or whatever.

Yeah, and you don't even inhale cigar smoke.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
wje - I am sorry to hear that. Your experience is not what I am talking about.

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: LOLyourFace

rolleye.gif

No I think your wrong.
*edit* I guess I'm not 100% sure that nicotine is what calms people down...it did for me though...*/edit*

I'm not addicted, I smoked one cig about every day for around a year, I quit a while ago with out any side effects or cravings. I crave them sometimes, but nothing bad, just "hey, I wouldnt mind lighting one up now..."

It is the drug that calms you down, gives you a head rush, makes you feel good. Thats why most people started smoking and kept doing it...they like the way it feels when the nicotine gets in to them.
Why dont people quit? cause it's easier said than done I guess...I knew a couple friends who tried quiting and couldnt do it, made them go crazy if they couldnt smoke.
I'm not trying to advocate smoking or anything, thats why I stoped cause I was affraid of becoming addicted. Just thoguht I would throw in my 2cents, at least give the reason that I went out to smoke every day...it wasnt cause I wanted to fit in or be cool or anything...