Question why do people want wifi on their motherboard

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
whats the big deal of having wifi on a motherboad of a home computer?
I just don't get it....use a cable and have a lot better setup.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
? Not everyone has ethernet wall jacks, or wants wires laying around.

That said, wired is nearly always the way to go, with devices like PCs and HDTVs that have fixed locations.

Edit: Argueably, a better feature for mobos is 2.5GbE, rather than wifi.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com

That said, wired is nearly always the way to go, with devices like PCs and HDTVs that have fixed locations.

Also, it seems like 99% of the time you get bt with the wifi and if you have/want bt accessories it's just a part of the PC.

Also, getting a good adapter can be expensive and then takes up a slot. Integrated (or having a m2 slot available for it) is a lot cleaner. And given how people are willing to invest in cable management, that is a clear perk too.

Reactions: Bobsy and bbhaag

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011

Yup this is why I recently added a wifi card to my Z170 system. I didn't want wires stretching across the floor even though I do have an ethernet wall jack in the room. Also like Blckgrffn noted it also has BT connectivity which my Z170 board doesn't have.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
WiFi built into the mother board usually comes with a high quality low latency blue tooth implementation.

In my personal experience, the usb adapters for bluetooth on Amazon are a massive headache. They frequently do not support better audio codecs, awful latency, awful drivers, and need to be unplugged/replugged in periodically.

The built into the mother board is a better experience with Bluetooth. Keyboards, audio, mice, filesharing. It is just better all around.

Bobsy

Jan 5, 2010
Wifi is convenient if you're taking your gaming PC to someone else's place (do teenagers do that?), if you're temporarily moving it to the living room to play arcade games on the big screen with your kids (my use case), or if you plan to pass your computer to a family member down the road (another use case for me).
I also think the added cost of built-in wifi (usually around $20) is so low that many people just take it "just in case".

Reactions: Rigg

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wifi is convenient if you're taking your gaming PC to someone else's place (do teenagers do that?), if you're temporarily moving it to the living room to play arcade games on the big screen with your kids (my use case), or if you plan to pass your computer to a family member down the road (another use case for me).
I also think the added cost of built-in wifi (usually around $20) is so low that many people just take it "just in case".
All true, although if you are a "Hardcore gamer" and / or "Streamer", then you're going to want to hook it up wired, for both latency and consistent performance.

There's another factor too, BlueTooth. Many PCI-E and some USB wifi adapters have BlueTooth built-in as well. BT Speakers can be effective and useful, you can put the speakers across the room from the PC (my use case).

Reactions: Bobsy

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Don't forget, there are some who want it and others that get it only because it is on the board that has other features they want.

Reactions: Bobsy

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I bought a Motherboard with a WiFi slot and a Intel AX200 but never installed it, it was only for if I was forced to switch to Mobile WiFi. I do buy WiFi enabled boards for friends/family as it gives them the flexibility to connect how they want to.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I'll take "Because they want to use wifi" for $200, Alex. :p

the problem is wifi standards change so much, the existing wifi on your board isn't the recient.
Im with larry on this tho, id rather have a faster nic, 2.5g/5g/10g and ditch the wifi as you can just get a 1x pci-e card for that with large high gain external antena's and not some dinky magnetic rabbit ear one. Also Wifi-6 is amazing if you have the structure for it, and im sure not many boards come out of the box with Wifi-6.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
the problem is wifi standards change so much, the existing wifi on your board isn't the recient.
Im with larry on this tho, id rather have a faster nic, 2.5g/5g/10g and ditch the wifi as you can just get a 1x pci-e card for that with large high gain external antena's and not some dinky magnetic rabbit ear one. Also Wifi-6 is amazing if you have the structure for it, and im sure not many boards come out of the box with Wifi-6.

Many of the boards have the built-in WiFi in the same m2 PCIe slot like laptops. Makes swapping out for the latest WiFi 6 really cheap and keeps the case clean.

If I was being really picky, I think that is really my preference. The most recent AsRock board I bough has the slot but it is empty. This seems like a good compromise since I didn’t need WiFi or bt out of the box.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020

I disagree.

801.11n came out in 2009, 11 years ago. It is supported by nearly everything. Even with brand new routers, 99/100 will support 801.11n.

I challenge you to find a single router on this page that does not support 801.11n:

I went looking, and if you pop the specification sheet open, nearly all of them on that page also support 802.11g, released in 2003.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
My motherboard came with 802.11ac https://www.anandtech.com/show/8249/asus-z97-pro-wifi-ac-review.

It isn't needed most of the time, but it has saved my butt more than once, and it makes it really easy to pair devices to my PC via Bluetooth or Wifi. I have 2 ISP's and it performs the same as my USB to Ethernet adapter. Same thing with my CPU's iGPU, not needed 99% of the time, but without it, I would have been in trouble. My main ISP wifi router is still on 802.11ac as well. I don't see a need to upgrade yet.

The main problem is driver support. I am at Asus' mercy here. No official Windows 10 support. Without using the Windows 8.1 driver, my PC will blue screen in Windows 10 unless I disable wifi in BIOS.