why do people talk about racial and gender equality...

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Because they would rather blame outside causes instead of looking inward towards their own failures.

All 3 issues are faux issues.

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
Because during the Cold War, Americans were terrified of communists. As an over-reaction, every discussion of economic inequality STILL brings up terrified sputtering about evil communists and "class warfare."

That, plus America is run by the super-wealthy who depend upon and benefit from inequality of all kinds.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Because during the Cold War, Americans were terrified of communists. As an over-reaction, every discussion of economic inequality STILL brings up terrified sputtering about evil communists and "class warfare."

That, plus America is run by the super-wealthy who depend upon and benefit from inequality of all kinds.

It started way before that

A Brief History of the United States of America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjSmr7vXUgQ

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
But never talk about economic equality?

Because people believe your race and gender are 100% not your fault but your economic conditions are 100% completely under your control. Not much or mostly or almost all under your control, but 100%. And since they have theirs they don't want to deal with anyone else who doesn't. Helps them feel superior too, and makes them even think they are smarter and / or work harder. Who'd want to give up that status?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Dems have been talking about income inequality for over 10 years because its been growing sine 1979. GOP attempting to jump on the bandwagon in the last few months for 2016

We talk about racial and gender equality because we don't have it.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Because you can solve your own income inequality.

Get a job, work hard, get a better job. Sitting around waiting for the government to take money from someone else and give it to you won't work.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Because you can solve your own income inequality.

Get a job, work hard, get a better job. Sitting around waiting for the government to take money from someone else and give it to you won't work.

Might want to start with CEO not paying a lower tax rate then the PA that works for them.

But I guess you assume that PA is lazy and dumb and deserves a higher tax rate.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Economic inequality has been growing rapidly since Lyndon Johnsons' War on Poverty. It's inevitable when the cost of providing 1 person welfare is more than the median income. Government is the ultimate middle man when its bureaucracy consumes 70-80% of funds allocated to "poor people."

berzerker60

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2012
Economic inequality has been growing rapidly since Lyndon Johnsons' War on Poverty. It's inevitable when the cost of providing 1 person welfare is more than the median income. Government is the ultimate middle man when its bureaucracy consumes 70-80% of funds allocated to "poor people."

What a dumb interpretation based off of a loose correlation of timing and then a ludicrously false claim

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Completely different categories of issues.

On the issue of Income: Providing a Minimum Income that's suitable for survival is the best solution for maximizing Liberty. There probably should be a Maximum as well, to prevent Oligarchy, but the idea of Economic Equality creates more problems than it solves.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Might want to start with CEO not paying a lower tax rate then the PA that works for them.

But I guess you assume that PA is lazy and dumb and deserves a higher tax rate.

Well if the CEO is getting paid through earnings from capital gains and dividends... then that money from investments has already been taxed heavily when the corporation made the profits.

Now are you telling me that a CEO that earns a salary and say for example earns two million dollars per year has a lower tax rate that someone earning $50,000?

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Well if the CEO is getting paid through earnings from capital gains and dividends... then that money from investments has already been taxed heavily when the corporation made the profits.

Now are you telling me that a CEO that earns a salary and say for example earns two million dollars per year has a lower tax rate that someone earning $50,000?

Depends on how that "salary" is structured. Carried-interest or capital gains + tax deductions can easily result in a tax rate under 14% for tens of millions of dollars in "income" in a year.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Because proggie bitches just sit behind their keyboards and cry, waiting for someone else to do something for them. :'(

Naer

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2013
The swiss are installing a ubi(universal basic income). A lot needs to learn from them

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
What is there to talk about? For there to be economic equality, everyone's work or output has to be worth the same. That's obviously a stupid premise, so there's no reason to talk about economic equality, it's a pointless discussion.

Further, you have no control over your race or gender, and race and gender don't impact what you are capable of producing. Thus, to the extent that race or gender economic disparity is caused by prejudice, it is worth examining to see how we can do better.

Everyone's situation is different, but you have at least some significant impact on your personal economic situation. That makes it very different from factors you have no control over like race or gender.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
What is there to talk about? For there to be economic equality, everyone's work or output has to be worth the same. That's obviously a stupid premise, so there's no reason to talk about economic equality, it's a pointless discussion.

Further, you have no control over your race or gender, and race and gender don't impact what you are capable of producing. Thus, to the extent that race or gender economic disparity is caused by prejudice, it is worth examining to see how we can do better.

Everyone's situation is different, but you have at least some significant impact on your personal economic situation. That makes it very different from factors you have no control over like race or gender.

Well said.

I would still like to hear what the democrats want to do to "cure" income inequality? I am very interested.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I would still like to hear what the democrats want to do to "cure" income inequality? I am very interested.

Rest assured that the "fix" for income inequality, just like the "fix" to global warming, or anything else for that matter involves giving more money and power to government and liberal groups.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Well said.

The Dems? Nothing. They are a party of the rich.

Liberals, on the other hand, would restore the inheritance tax and restore the progressive income tax. The current regressive tax scheme is a throwback to the middle ages. "Only the little people pay taxes."