Why do people prefer Retail CPU's to OEM's

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
Why do people prefer Retail CPU's to OEM's?

Is it a warranty thing?

:confused:

/me is ig'nant...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Has Heatsink, often only type available, yes warranty, price isn't much different(sometimes even cheaper), easily attainable.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
If you're not overclocking, it's all about the warranty.

If you are overclocking, who cares about a warranty.

Then again, there are those less than honest customers who will overclock retail CPUs and then RMA them if they die.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
warranty and they come with a fan and non-OC'ers don't need a $25 after market fan, so the $5 difference between OEM and retail make the boxed cpu a better deal

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
because you get an uber l337 sticker that you can put on your case that adds 500mhz, thats why.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Some people don't want to be bothered finding a 3rd party hsf, making sure it fits, etc.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
For me, the longer warranty and included heatsink/fan are worth the 10 or 20 bucks extra.

j00fek

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2005
Originally posted by: BigJ
If you're not overclocking, it's all about the warranty.

If you are overclocking, who cares about a warranty.

Then again, there are those less than honest customers who will overclock retail CPUs and then RMA them if they die.

:thumbsup:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: FoBoT
warranty and they come with a fan and non-OC'ers don't need a $25 after market fan, so the $5 difference between OEM and retail make the boxed cpu a better deal

I get retail even if I already have a fan. It's nice to have if one craps out or I get my hands on a cheap bare cpu.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dainthomas
Originally posted by: FoBoT

I get retail even if I already have a fan. It's nice to have if one craps out or I get my hands on a cheap bare cpu.
^^^Yessss, plus "warranty" should be mentioned at least three more times, just because.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Spikesoldier
because you get an uber l337 sticker that you can put on your case that adds 500mhz, thats why.

Meh, I go OEM and eBay (to buy) the sticker. Although I never put the Core 2 Duo sticker on my new PC... doing so would unsexify my Lian-Li case.

I also prefer OEM and purchase a quieter more efficient after-market cooler.

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
They usually aren't that much diffrent and they come with a heatsink and fan. Unless i was doing OC then I would need a special fan so why bother?

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
once upon a time oem cpus weren't packaged individually by manufacturers, so vendors had to come up with their own packaging which sometimes wasn't adequate.

I haven't bought an oem chip for a while, has this changed, or is oem packaging still flimsy compared to retail ?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Tom
once upon a time oem cpus weren't packaged individually by manufacturers, so vendors had to come up with their own packaging which sometimes wasn't adequate.

I haven't bought an oem chip for a while, has this changed, or is oem packaging still flimsy compared to retail ?

Socket CPUs never had an issue with packaging. They just come in the little plastic case taped around with bubble wrap instead of a huge box of plastic/cardboard.