Why do people hate the president?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Cogman
Ok, so the president can propose a bill to congress, he can veto a law, and he can send us off to war. So why are people blaming him for things like NCLB, the current economy, the patriot act, ect? Is this just a way to shift the focus on the real people to blame? Mainly congress and the supreme court.

Its almost as if people say "If we have an awesome president then our country has no choice but to be awesome." Thats just not the case.

With media focus mainly on the president, it is no wonder that US citizens seem to give him all the credit/blame. But maybe, just maybe, if we focused on the real retards that got us into our current situation we might actually do better as a country. Maybe if we pay more attention to our local leaders, and our state representatives, rather then letting our minds take a 4 year vacation, we might just be able to shift the direction of this country.

My point is, Pay attention to your local leaders. Even if the president is the best person in the world, he can't do anything with a retarded congress.

You really need to read some books and learn what's going on. You might start with Frank Rich's "The Wrecking Crew", ask if you wold like others.

The President isn't resonsible for quite a few things, but he is for a lot. You can hold him accountable for the actions he does or doesn't take.

When his efforts are making things *worse*, as he represents the narror, powerful interests and not the public interest, you can blame him for that.

You mention NCLB - that was *his* screwup to set the direction on things like too much weight for standardized testing, and not to fund it. You mention the economy, and his policies have gone a long way to the problem as he has followed his ideology of anti-regulation and anti-government, and let the industries run themselves literally appointing the industry lobbyists to the positions that are supposed to provide oversight. You mention The Patriot Act, *his administration wrote and got it passed*.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Simple. He's Republican. Everyone on the internet hates Republicans. It's Bush because of Iraq and the Patriot Act. Next Republican presidency will be because of anything that that person does.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
If there is such a thing as less blame then yes, I think he should be getting the same amount of blame as congress. The fact the congress gets less blame then him is whats screwed up.

Bush deserves most of the blame for the Iraqi war not congress. Congress voted to give Bush the authority to wage war, Bush made the choice to do so.

Bush also deserves the blame as Commander in Chief (and Mr. "Mission Accomplished") for approving how the war would be fought and for how little planning was done for its aftermath.

His own incompetence in directing the people he commands has killed more Americans than 9/11 and cost us a trillion dollars.

I don't hate him, but I do regret the damage he is personally responsible for causing this country.

That is the most retarded thing I've ever read.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: TechAZ
If there is such a thing as less blame then yes, I think he should be getting the same amount of blame as congress. The fact the congress gets less blame then him is whats screwed up.

Bush deserves most of the blame for the Iraqi war not congress. Congress voted to give Bush the authority to wage war, Bush made the choice to do so.

Bush also deserves the blame as Commander in Chief (and Mr. "Mission Accomplished") for approving how the war would be fought and for how little planning was done for its aftermath.

His own incompetence in directing the people he commands has killed more Americans than 9/11 and cost us a trillion dollars.

I don't hate him, but I do regret the damage he is personally responsible for causing this country.

The Truth is retarded?

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Originally posted by: sandorski

The Truth is retarded?

Your truth is.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

The Truth is retarded?

Your truth is.

What is Your Truth?

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007

The Truth is retarded?

Your truth is.

What is Your Truth?

It doesn't matter what my truth is. I support the war in Iraq. No matter what my truth is, it isn't what yours is, and I'm a warmonger.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

The Truth is retarded?

Your truth is.

What is Your Truth?

It doesn't matter what my truth is. I support the war in Iraq. No matter what my truth is, it isn't what yours is, and I'm a warmonger.

ahh, I see. So Your Truth is "Support the War at all Costs. Including the Truth on what has transpired." Gotcha.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

You should read your own post just above the one I quote:

Simple. He's Republican. Everyone on the internet hates Republicans. It's Bush because of Iraq and the Patriot Act. Next Republican presidency will be because of anything that that person does.

AZ, you are not rational.

It's very simple what DaveSimmons said.

In terms of the US choice to go to war, you can argue I guess that there were advocates for the war who influenced Bush, but it was Bush's decision.

It's a matter of fact that Bush asked for the authorization for war; that he promised Congress that he would not use it to rush to war, but would try eveything to resolve the WMD issue without war and only go to war as a 'last resort', and that he broke his word and kicked the inspectors out of Iraq and started the war, his choice.

Your argument that DaveSimmons' post is wrong is that 'you support the war'. The argument has nothing to do with the issue, who was responsible for the war.

Then you go in to the persecuted denial talking with sandorski.

You really fit the description I recently linked of many right-wingers.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I think we fail to appreciate the size of the executive branch. In terms of torture policies, control of the executive branch makes GWB, judge, jury, executioner, and watch dog over torture policies, all the information gathering capacity of the Federal government is in the executive branch, and what of that the President choose to share with congress is a bone of contention. In terms of Iraqi WMD, did the congress get the same intel the President got. In terms of our Present economic crisis, why did not Paulson see this coming? Or did Paulson see it coming while GWB ordered him to stay silent? In terms of science, if the President does not like a scientific finding, entire agencies exists to water it down.

I hope you get the idea why the buck should stop at the executive. And no President has gone futher than GWB to make the entire executive branch into an extension of his own ego.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The President is the chief executive officer of the country. It is he who sets the policy for what the country is to do. It is true that Congress controls the purse, conducts investigations and passes the legislation, but in reality their power is essentially negative. They can do little more than attempt to stop what the president wants. That is especially true in modern days when the legislature passes acts that give sweepingly broad powers to the presidency because a crisis develops a whole lot faster now than it did 100, even 50 years ago. Examples of such legislation are the War Powers Act, the Patriot Act and the recent financial rescue package.

Harry Truman was right-the buck stops here. The President takes credit for what goes right in his adminstration, he is equally reasonable for when his staff screws up, like FEMA during Katrina. He appoints them, he supervises them.

As to why people hate this particular President? Whether you support the principles he esposes or not, from an objective standpoint you must admit that most major decisions he has made has gone horrendously wrong. It especially galls me that he always attempts to evade responsibility, find excuses and never, ever admits making a mistake.

Cliff Notes-why I hate GWB-judgment, policy and implementation-generally horribly wrong on all.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
Congress passes laws and the President (his entire branch) enforces the laws. So when a law is passed and a loophole is abused (the housing bubble), the executive branch is supposed to see to it that the loophole is closed up. Congress could have passed a new law (and should have) years ago to stop this bubble that is bringing down our economy. However, the blame ultimately falls on the executive because the accountability and oversight that people say have been lacking, well that is the "execution" portion of these laws.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Blame Bush?

He has rubber stamped anything Red that came to his desk, lied to us, wipe his ass with the Constitution, took credit for everything that was good before it went to shit, changed how inflation was computed, took vacations during national crisis, appointed some of the most unqualified candidates for his Cabinet, hes an idiot.

Bush has done nothing for the average joe. He changed all the rules to get the middle class to enrich his rich buddies. Bank bail out is his latest turd.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

My point is, Pay attention to your local leaders. Even if the president is the best person in the world, he can't do anything with a retarded congress.
As has been pointed out, he/she can make good executive decisions though. He/she can also veto horrible legislation, and force congress to override it. Instead we were 5 1/2yrs in before the first veto showed up, and in that time of a republican controlled congress, he approved more than 50 spending bills that exceeded his budget requests, a significant amount of the overage being from ear marks.

So, my question to you is this: Why would you present a scenario such as
Even if the president is the best person in the world, he can't do anything with a retarded congress.
To demonstrate why congress is the real culprit, the one they should hate or despise, and not the President, if the President wasn't vetoing anything they presented to him for almost 6 years? :confused:

Personally, I don't hate him, I think he really believed what he was doing was the right thing, and trusted those that he was delegating authority to. However, All emotion aside, I think W deserves his abysmal job performance rating.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
How about the Patriot Act? Suspension of Habeas Corpus? How about torture? Missing tapes of torture and the denial that waterboarding was torture? The undermining of the U.S. Constitution for his own purposes? Signing statements to remove responsibility from the executive branch?

Who wrote the fucking bill?

Thats right.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
In August of 1952, Adlai Stevenson gave a speech on the Nature of Patriotism...he said:

"The tragedy of our day is the climate of fear in which we live, and fear breeds repression. Too often sinister threats to the Bill of Rights, to freedom of the mind, are concealed under the patriotic cloak of anti-communism"

If you substitute the word terrorism for communism, you have a prime description of our modern times. I can't speak for others, but my own disdain for Bush lays in his unabashed advocacy of that fear. Indeed, it was the key to winning his second term!
What I despise about him is that he put winning that election above the good of the country.

Stevenson's Speech

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
How about the Patriot Act? Suspension of Habeas Corpus? How about torture? Missing tapes of torture and the denial that waterboarding was torture? The undermining of the U.S. Constitution for his own purposes? Signing statements to remove responsibility from the executive branch?

Who wrote the fucking bill?

Thats right.

Wait, what bill did Congress arrest Padilla with? That's an entirely Administration screw up.

It was the opinion of this administration that the President could ignore habeas corpus and didn't request approval of anyone. No bill by Congress authorized this. It was patently unconstitutional.

I'll invoke Hitler. Why do we blame him so much?

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Don't forget that the president appoint all the federal judges, department heads, and sets the tone of how the government is run. If he appoint idiots like 'You're doing a good job' Brown and Gonzo, how do you think he's gonna be viewed?

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Insomniator
People need someone to blame, and someone too complain about. The man 'in charge' is the scapegoat.

That and the fact that it really is alot his fault helps/

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
The executive administration and Congress are like two piles of shit, except one smells a bit worse than the other.