Why do people hate necro posting?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I'm ok with the discussion continuing, or getting updated. I hate it when it is some 1-2 post new user who is advertising shit.
Or if it's answering an OP who left the forum 5 years prior, and it was a question about hardware that's quite obsolete now. ("I'm building a new Windows 2000 system. Will that OS work well with an nForce chipset?")

Reactions: WelshBloke

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
Great topic. I've never understood the reasoning that threads should not be "necro'd" after a period of time.

If someone has something to add to the discussion, what's the harm in adding it to the thread that already exists. what does it matter how old the OP is as long as it's the same topic?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Or if it's answering an OP who left the forum 5 years prior, and it was a question about hardware that's quite obsolete now. ("I'm building a new Windows 2000 system. Will that OS work well with an nForce chipset?")

hehe, ya. Sometimes someone will Necro such a thread because they are in the same situation, which is sorta ok IMO, but they should just start a new thread.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
i honestly don't know

i love seeing old posts and i think locking them is lame

I haven't seen anyone lock one lately, usually they are just out of date in general though.

It's not really a big deal, but doesn't normally add much to the forums in general.

Some of them are amusing, the ones with a first poster doing it looks odd now and then though.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
The only reason I give people shit about them is because of the rules. The rule is lame, necro threads can be fine.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
It's a mixed bag.

Sometimes people get upset that some new forum member posts a thread with a question that's been answered before, and tell them they need to search. But at the same time, if they search and find the answer wasn't sufficient for their problem but otherwise a thread matches their issue entirely, people get pissed they necro'd that thread.

I don't mind it if the necro fits perfectly into the original thread's purpose.

And I can definitely understand when someone necro's a thread that never saw a conclusion and that person wants the exact answer to a problem that fits the mold perfectly. How many times have we seen a thread about a certain issue, people discuss possible solutions, they don't work... and then that poster never returns to the discussion? Hell I'll admit I've been one of those, especially on Windows forums or a thread I can remember on Battlelog for either BF3 or BF4. Issues that may have taken a few weeks or, hell, months to finally narrow down the culprit and fix the issue. (I hate reformatting, and I take it as giving up - I like the challenge of figuring out some strange issue that ends up being a crazy driver conflict... with a damn keyboard driver...)

As I said, a mixed bag, because sometimes a necro is exactly what is called for. But half the time the OP is no longer a participant, and sometimes even PMs don't accomplish anything because the person disabled email notifications and never check that board.

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
Necro Post
to post in a thread that has been "dead", by being inactive for a relatively long period.
sign0009.gif

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
While THIS thread necro over in Digital and Video Cameras was only about two weeks old, it's a good example of necros that are of questionable value. The guy who made the last post, #17, has a post count of 1, and simply did a google search of the subject so he could pretend to take part in the conversation and advertise his website via link.

It's right up there with "Damn, I can't believe what she did!?!?!?! Click ->HERE<- to see for yourself!!!!"

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
While THIS thread necro over in Digital and Video Cameras was only about two weeks old, it's a good example of necros that are of questionable value. The guy who made the last post, #17, has a post count of 1, and simply did a google search of the subject so he could pretend to take part in the conversation and advertise his website via link.

It's right up there with "Damn, I can't believe what she did!?!?!?! Click ->HERE<- to see for yourself!!!!"
Just about the only legitimate reason I can think of, but that's not really a problem with necros, more just with spammy bs in general.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
"Damn, I can't believe what she did!?!?!?! Click ->HERE<- to see for yourself!!!!"

Your link is broken... :sneaky:

I don't get necro hate either, as long as it's relevant to the OP, and it's not something outdated... why not?

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
I believe they have a place when used in good context. Obviously the forum can't be flooded with them.

Seems to me the mods use their own discretion to decide what's relevant/acceptable with a necro.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Did Mayne make a new account again?

Usually, the necro'ed threads have really, really old information as the first post, so, it makes no sense to update the thread since the original information is deprecated 99% of the time.

Very rarely, there is an exception to this rule.

Couldn't this thread also be a mod callout thread, since they are the ones that enforce this policy, and thus, this could get you an infraction or worse, they can make you a mod to enforce yourself in your own little corner of the forums... :eek:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Great topic. I've never understood the reasoning that threads should not be "necro'd" after a period of time.

If someone has something to add to the discussion, what's the harm in adding it to the thread that already exists. what does it matter how old the OP is as long as it's the same topic?

It's especially helpful to register and contribute info to the thread you found on Google...because others will find that thread on Google when they search for the same thing.

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
Couldn't this thread also be a mod callout thread, since they are the ones that enforce this policy, and thus, this could get you an infraction or worse, they can make you a mod to enforce yourself in your own little corner of the forums... :eek:

My days of rebelling against authority are long gone, I personally believe the mods let some necros pass if it was an interesting thread to begin with. The let me draw you a picture thread by dank wound be a good example.

Threads that have no entertainment value or relevance should be locked if necro'ed.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I think the rule is dumb too. Unless the person is advertising or spamming shit, who cares? Aren't people supposed to post in a relevant thread instead of starting a new one? As long as the post is relevant, big deal if it's a 5 year old thread.

Reactions: kkrooltyfree