why do people get mad and/or speed up when you pass them on the road?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I decided after I got back from Afghanistan that I was going to set the cruise control to the speed limit, stay in the right lane whenever possible, and to hell with everyone else.

I have much less road rage now and I laugh at those that still do. If they glare at me as they pass me while they're speeding, I smile back politely and keep on driving.

yeah... in heavy traffic, I usually pick out a car to mark my pace with. over the course of a drive, I find that it all stays about even no matter how often one of us is lane changing.

unless there's something that's specifically causing heavy traffic in one lane (popular exit that's backed up for miles because there's a traffic light right after the off ramp, accident on the shoulder, etc), I usually just camp out in the second lane and don't stress lane changes unless the car in front of me is driving obnoxiously slow (every once in awhile, you'll get stuck behind that guy who's leaving 5 car lengths worth of space in front of him even though traffic is only moving at 5 mph). also, SUV's/trucks. hate driving behind one of them because they limit visibility ahead so much.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
it's supposedly better to merge at the last minute (it's called zipper merging). early merging causes more of a delay.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/

Of course we're assuming people are cordial enough to alternate turns at the zipper point.

I have one simple rule. Anybody ALREADY ahead of me in ANY lane gets to stay ahead of me even if I have to slow down so they can merge.

Anybody behind me trying to jump the line can go screw themselves.

Zipper merging by definition requires zero passing, last minute passing which amounts to nothing more than greedy people trying to get ahead by screwing everyone else out of their turn.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
This sort of reminds me of a situation the other day. I was the "lunch chauffeur" for some of my coworkers, and while driving back, someone passes me. One of my coworkers says, "What!? You're just going to let him pass you?" I was a bit confused at that point, and I just muttered, "Uh... yeah?" I don't get why he would even assume that just because I'm an assertive driver (I like that better than aggressive :p) that I care if someone passes me. Now, if they passed me then slowed down, I probably wouldn't be too enthused.

Tommy2000GT

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2000
When I pass in the emergency lane, it upsets road blocking drivers even worse. American drivers have a huge ego problem.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
When I pass in the emergency lane, it upsets road blocking drivers even worse. American drivers have a huge ego problem.

the jury is still out on whether you are a) the worst troll ever, or b) the biggest asshat driver ever. all your previous threads are consistent with both.

:hmm:

Tommy2000GT

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2000
the jury is still out on whether you are a) the worst troll ever, or b) the biggest asshat driver ever. all your previous threads are consistent with both.

:hmm:

so you are one of those who get mad at me for passing slow drivers by using the emergency lane. so why do people like you get mad?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
so you are one of those who get mad at me for passing slow drivers by using the emergency lane. so why do people like you get mad?

Well, I'd say it's worse than passing on the right.

I bet you do that to. Hell, I bet you weave like mad.

The emergency lane may seem wide open, but.... nah, not worth my time.

Tommy2000GT

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2000
Well, I'd say it's worse than passing on the right.

I bet you do that to. Hell, I bet you weave like mad.

The emergency lane may seem wide open, but.... nah, not worth my time.

you shouldn't be mad when all the lanes are block and other drivers have to pass using the emergency lane.

and you shouldn't be made when inconsiderate drivers block the left lane so other drivers have to pass on the right

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
you shouldn't be mad when all the lanes are block and other drivers have to pass using the emergency lane.

and you shouldn't be made when inconsiderate drivers block the left lane so other drivers have to pass on the right

English mother fucker!

Do you speak it?

jjyiz28

Platinum Member
Jan 11, 2003
I have one simple rule. Anybody ALREADY ahead of me in ANY lane gets to stay ahead of me even if I have to slow down so they can merge.

Anybody behind me trying to jump the line can go screw themselves.

Zipper merging by definition requires zero passing, last minute passing which amounts to nothing more than greedy people trying to get ahead by screwing everyone else out of their turn.

ding ding!!! i think we found our AH.

to clarify your position, you find it ok , lets say in medium traffic, the car in the 1st lane infront of you drives 65mph if he can easily maintain that same speed at lane 3 and even lane 4???

i find it difficult to believe you won't be a little miffed that the offending car doesn't switch to lane 2 to let you pass, or at least WTFU and speed up.

how do you define jump the gun? if im behind your slow butt on lane 1 going 65, and you dont let me pass, so i pass on your right, not going wide open throttle or anything like that, and you would take that as challenging yo manhood? so you would see me slowly speeding up on the right lane, and then your epenis goes on wild online mode tracker enabled on my coke bottle speed up to whatever you are capapble of going to block me from passing you? thinking that i am trying to pass you because my manhood is bigger than yours and bringslall the girfilrfriends to the land with tmilka nd honey tits.

zipper merging makes use of all the avalable lanes, merging lanes.. its the correct proper way to drive. let 1 car merge, pass, 1 to 1, etc..

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

to clarify your position, you find it ok , lets say in medium traffic, the car in the 1st lane infront of you drives 65mph if he can easily maintain that same speed at lane 3 and even lane 4???

i find it difficult to believe you won't be a little miffed that the offending car doesn't switch to lane 2 to let you pass, or at least WTFU and speed up.

how do you define jump the gun? if im behind your slow butt on lane 1 going 65, and you dont let me pass, so i pass on your right, not going wide open throttle or anything like that, and you would take that as challenging yo manhood? so you would see me slowly speeding up on the right lane, and then your epenis goes on wild online mode tracker enabled on my coke bottle speed up to whatever you are capapble of going to block me from passing you? thinking that i am trying to pass you because my manhood is bigger than yours and bringslall the girfilrfriends to the land with tmilka nd honey tits.

zipper merging makes use of all the avalable lanes, merging lanes.. its the correct proper way to drive. let 1 car merge, pass, 1 to 1, etc..

Your belief of what zipper merging is is why the system breaks down.

You never pass in a merge lane….if you have room at the merge to merge in, you do so…not try to pull a pass and get one up on someone.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
nodifference.jpg

Oct 20, 2005

ROFL. nice :biggrin:

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Your belief of what zipper merging is is why the system breaks down.

You never pass in a merge lane….if you have room at the merge to merge in, you do so…not try to pull a pass and get one up on someone.

Correct. How on earth did we go from passing people to zipper merge? These are two different topics, one you cannot pass since everyone is backed up until the merge point (except in MN since we are too nice and block the lane that closes 3 miles before the merge point) and the other is 2 roads with traffic that may or may not prevent passing.

mtomo

Nov 16, 2020
ive seen this a lot recently but have ALWAYS noticed this, but why the hell do people tend to get offended and speed up when you go to pass them? i see this almost daily where someone in the left lane is going slower than i want to go, and after a while riding behind them, i go to pass them. 9/10 times, as soon as i start to speed past this person, they get all aggressive and then all of a sudden decide they want to speed up and not let you pass them. since my car has some speed to it, i usually end up passing them though, and once past them, i notice they are now going faster than they were before, and are usually right behind me now.

since i see this so often, i KNOW there has to be someone on these boards who does this and i just want to know why the hell you do it. or why do people think other people do this? i really don't have an idea other than they feel 'defeated' so they want to try and speed up to not feel that way. i also just chalk it up to them being idiot/bad drivers in general, since they are in the left lane with people riding right behind them when that means they should be moving over.

If anyone is the asshole, it's you for passing them. Especially if both of you are now stopped at the same red light. What did you gain by passing? Nothing.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The last time I asked this question the answer was that some people don't like to drive behind other cars. I don't get it..but ok.

On highways in America these days it might as well be "keep left pass right" .... frankly nobody follows ANY traffic laws except for "watch what you do in sight of a cop" and the laws of physics!

I'm well aware this is a necro btw! :)

And the explanation to the original question is simple ... EVERYONE wants to be first!

Also there is a degree of "reflex" to it in that most people are only half-aware of a car creeping up on them out of the corner of their eye and gradually increase speed without realizing it.

this idiot ass bmw was in left lane by himself. no other cars around within a few hundred yards

Q: What's the difference between a rose and a BMW? :p

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
This is one reason I love turbo. When I pass, I floor it and finish the pass before a dickweed has a chance to speed up. I can be on my way before the passee looks up from his phone/comes out of his opioid stupor.

Reactions: repoman0

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
This is one reason I love turbo. When I pass, I floor it and finish the pass before a dickweed has a chance to speed up. I can be on my way before the passee looks up from his phone/comes out of his opioid stupor.

5L N/A V8 will do it too. I don’t even bother shifting out of sixth to pass slow left lane dwellers, and it happens so fast that they don’t have time to get irrationally angry at me for their own stupidity.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
5L N/A V8 will do it too. I don’t even bother shifting out of sixth to pass slow left lane dwellers, and it happens so fast that they don’t have time to get irrationally angry at me for their own stupidity.

I drive a Honda Fit 5-speed with a bone-stock 1.5L 4-banger.

In a straight line on an open road it can keep up till around 110-115 but then runs out of wind (and gear) ... through traffic OTOH ... lets just say tiny cars fit easily through tiny gaps.

I was a courier in NYC for 10 years btw (mini-pickup not bicycle) which is where my "maniacal" driving style evolved. No excuses I've embraced it.

In short ... it's the driver not the car. ;)

hqdefault.jpg

Local road-signs pointing to I-95 :p

Last edited: