Why do people become morons when they enter an airport?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: freegeeks
- when they start boarding most people just go wait in the line for like 20 minutes. So sometimes you have like 200 people just standing there while there is a sea of free seats 20 feet away to sit down an relax. Are they convinced that they won't have a seat or that they won't get on the plane?

You fly every week and you don't know why people do this? The overhead bins fill up, partly because assholes put more than one bag in there (i.e. the business traveler who has roller bag, a laptop bag, and maybe a garment bag on top of that, and for some reason they let him do it). When I travel I have my laptop, and when the wife comes we have two laptops and sometimes ~$5000 worth of camera equipment. No way in HELL am I going to take a chance of having to gate check my carry-on bags. But I always wait until my section is called. I just make a point of getting in before everyone else in my section.

I usually pick a seat toward the back to ensure that I'll board early, but some airlines seem to have their groups assigned sporadically.

-last week week people started clapping hands when the pilot landed the plane, wtf is that all about?

I've experienced that twice. No idea why people do it.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Jahee

people that are separated by only a couple of seats and you can see the horror of this situation their eyes.
I can understand this between parents and little children but adults

So what? i'd rather not sit with a stranger for the flight when i'm with a friend.. Whats the big deal with that?

it's not a big deal but some people act like if they are going to be raped because they are not sitting next to their friend or SO. Last may I was flying from Brussels to NYC and there was a woman a few rows in front of me who was always looking in my direction with a distressed look in her eyes. After one hour the guy sitting next asked if it was possible that I switch seats with here because it was his wife. She was all stressed out because she was not sitting next to her husband.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
You fly every week and you don't know why people do this? The overhead bins fill up, partly because assholes put more than one bag in there (i.e. the business traveler who has roller bag, a laptop bag, and maybe a garment bag on top of that, and for some reason they let him do it). When I travel I have my laptop, and when the wife comes we have two laptops and sometimes ~$5000 worth of camera equipment. No way in HELL am I going to take a chance of having to gate check my carry-on bags. But I always wait until my section is called. I just make a point of getting in before everyone else in my section.

I fly every week and I NEVER experienced that the overhead bins were so full that I could not get my carry on stowed more then 4 meter where I'm seated. I don't fly American operators a lot so maybe they allow you to carry more hand luggage?

I fly Iberia all the time and they are pretty strict about this stuff

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

people that are separated by only a couple of seats and you can see the horror of this situation their eyes.

So what? i'd rather not sit with a stranger for the flight when i'm with a friend.. Whats the big deal with that?

it's not a big deal but some people act like if they are going to be raped because they are not sitting next to their friend or SO. Last may I was flying from Brussels to NYC and there was a woman a few rows in front of me who was always looking in my direction with a distressed look in her eyes. After one hour the guy sitting next asked if it was possible that I switch seats with here because it was his wife. She was all stressed out because she was not sitting next to her husband.

On a 9 hour flight from Brussels to NYC, I would certainly rather sit next to my wife than you.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
they were likely morons to begin with. dont judge them for who they are!!!! :p

my biggest pet peeve are parents who cannot keep their kids under control. they run around like hellions or scream their lungs off for the entire duration of the flight

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Triumph

On a 9 hour flight from Brussels to NYC, I would certainly rather sit next to my wife than you.

I travel with my wife quite often and I feel the same way. If I am going to be sitting next to somebody for 2+ hours, why shouldn't it be my wife? Sounds like somebody is a bit lonely.

As far as his other stuff, that's just travel. I don't travel every week, but probably every month and I just ignore it.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
IMO people just get overwhelmed when they go to placed like an airport when they don't travel all the time like you do.

I've been enough times now to know how they all work but for some, it's likely their first time ever being in one or going on a flight.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Last week while I was checking into my flight, I watched the guy at the self-check in booth next to mine in amazement. He wanted to scan his passport, so he held it up to the LCD screen over and over, pressing it into the screen for perhaps 5 minutes. At that point I couldn't take it anymore (I was about to die laughing), so I walked over to his booth and pointed to the scanner next to the screen.

Some (well, most) people are idiots. That's all there is to it.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

I fly every week and I NEVER experienced that the overhead bins were so full that I could not get my carry on stowed more then 4 meter where I'm seated. I don't fly American operators a lot so maybe they allow you to carry more hand luggage?

I fly Iberia all the time and they are pretty strict about this stuff

The rule here is one carry-on bag (usually a roller bag) and one "personal item" (laptop bag, backpack, purse).

There are a few problems.
1. They usually let you slide if you have more than that.
2. You're supposed to put the personal item under the seat in front of you, but many people put it up in the overhead bin.
3. A lot of people are stupid and put their bags in the overhead bin sideways. The flight attendants don't always correct that and they just close the bin which indicates that it's full.
4. There just isn't enough room in the overhead bins for everyone to fit a roller bag in.

I've seen the problem more on business flights - weekday mornings and afternoons. I've only been to one airport (Las Vegas) that was very strict about the number of bags you bring on.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I've heard the clapping as well.

But, what gets me, is how people dress. It's as if it's a fricken social event to be at the airport. You will either see the most off the wall crap or club wear. It's as people go to the airport to yell "LOOK AT ME!".

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: CPA

But, what gets me, is how people dress. It's as if it's a fricken social event to be at the airport. You will either see the most off the wall crap or club wear. It's as people go to the airport to yell "LOOK AT ME!".

Hah, yeah I've noticed that. I normally wear short and a t-shirt - most comfortable. If I'm traveling for work and going straight from the airport to the office at my destination I'll wear khakis and a polo shirt.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000

*imagines a plane with all the seats removed seperated into mosh, trance, and linedancing sections*

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I see that a lot as well. A woman in a skirt and high-heels is great eye candy, but not exactly practical when you're potentially walking a mile or more at an airport (at least in ATL).

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Triumph

it depends, if your wife is hot, I would rather sit next to her :p

SaoFeng

Oct 25, 2006
i understand what you mean!!!
i travel A LOT for work too...

i am amazed at all the moronic things you mentioned...but i have a few to add:

- people that stop in front of the offramp or escalator....they just STOP walking and look around, or get something from their bag. WTF. People are trying to exit..why do you stop?? I understand that they need to figure out where they are going, but why stop in the MIDDLE of the traffic? Go to the side! ARGH

- people who put their bag in the middle of the bathroom while they piss. what is that all about?

- someone mentioned how people dress like they are going clubbing. its worse when they spray on tons of cologne that causes people to gag and water up. ease up on the drakkar noir!

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
regardless of whatever situation it is, i refuse to go to heathrow airport and boston. those are the worlds most BOGUS airports ever created. the check in sucks, you go in circles (just went to italy and had to stop over in heathrow to and from the usa), and security just BLOWS, especially in heathrow. in fact, we were boarding from heathrow to boston and we were flying american, they ACTUALLY made me (i always get checked - no matter what) go through security again right next to my gate, delaying the whole flight.

boston is just as bad, as no one there knows what security means. security means "okay, i see a container that says cadbury flake on it and its sealed and in a gift shop bag that has a sticker saying "candy" on it." they made us wait for 30 freaking minutes AFTER getting frisked to get our carry-ons, just because of one stupid container that had candy in it.

its mostly the people who work AT the airports that piss me off, not the people who are in the planes.

god what stupid airports.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
You sound like a real asshole. The airport is a pretty intimidating place for someone who is not a regular flier. Someone should smack you upside the head, you certainly need it.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
You sound like a real asshole. The airport is a pretty intimidating place for someone who is not a regular flier. Someone should smack you upside the head, you certainly need it.

well thank you

now tell me how you really feel!!!

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Just do what I do, go to the lounge and relax until it's almost boarding time, then someone will tell you in the most polite way possible that your plane is boarding (if you fly enough, surely you should be in some kind of club, no?). When reaching the gate, just walk up to the attendants, hand them your ticket and ignore the throng of "idiots" that's waiting for 20 mins to board the plane. Then put your luggage in any of the available bin, because they're empty at this time and sit down. Flag the attendant over for some alcoholic beverages of your choice, and watch the mayhem begins as they let everyone else board.

Wait, is that not how you roll?

I've been in enough airports to know that I can be lost, and Heathrow is just ridiculous.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: SSSnail
Just do what I do, go to the lounge and relax until it's almost boarding time, then someone will tell you in the most polite way possible that your plane is boarding (if you fly enough, surely you should be in some kind of club, no?). When reaching the gate, just walk up to the attendants, hand them your ticket and ignore the throng of "idiots" that's waiting for 20 mins to board the plane. Then put your luggage in any of the available bin, because they're empty at this time and sit down. Flag the attendant over for some alcoholic beverages of your choice, and watch the mayhem begins as they let everyone else board.

I've been in enough airports to know that I can be lost, and Heathrow is just ridiculous.

Oneworld

My aim is to arrive just in time at the airport and I'm getting pretty good at it!!!

SaoFeng

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: SSSnail

i do that for american airlines....it's nice to have status on these airlines!

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Also, the fact that they are about to get hurled about the globe at hundreds of miles per hour in a steel tube with a pilot, a dude who's job it is to steer the damn thing for a period of time longer than any human can possibly stay awake for.....and also the fact that he might be drunk...

oh..and the box cutters....forgot that one....the ladies love the large muscular black men...but otherwise they are deathly afraid of the UPS delivery folk....especially when their boxes are riding down beneath them in freight...waiting ever so patiently to be cut....