Why do people back into parking spots?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
In Florida, it's illegal to back into a parking spot in a parking garage because police will not be able to see your rear license plate and front license plates are not needed. My friend got a ticket for backing into a parking spot in a parking garage once..

johnjbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
its a habit for me now. always done it this way.
i dont think its 'difficult' to back into a parking spot.

just wondering... maybe it shows something about your personality. They should analyze and add this question into personality tests.

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Actually in parkign lots where there's not a whole lot of room it's easier to get in...

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
The real question is why do people back into angle parking spots? People used to do this at the parking lot at my old job and I never understood it...

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: werk
The real question is why do people back into angle parking spots? People used to do this at the parking lot at my old job and I never understood it...

Because you spot a spot and if you dont' drive down the wrong side of the lane someone's going to take it so you drive down the wrong side and back in because it's easier.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: CrazyDe1

Because you spot a spot and if you dont' drive down the wrong side of the lane someone's going to take it so you drive down the wrong side and back in because it's easier.
All the aisles were one-way with all the parking spots facing the same way on both sides of the aisle. The only way to back into a spot was to back all the way down the aisle going the right way (albeit backwards) and make the easy turn into the spot or to back the wrong way down the aisle and pull like a 135 degree turn into the spot. Either way, it's not easier than pulling in headfirst and backing out.

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

All the aisles were one-way with all the parking spots facing the same way on both sides of the aisle. The only way to back into a spot was to back all the way down the aisle going the right way (albeit backwards) and make the easy turn into the spot or to back the wrong way down the aisle and pull like a 135 degree turn into the spot. Either way, it's not easier than pulling in headfirst and backing out.

Just because the aisles are one way doesn't mean you drive the right way down them. Like I said, if you see a spot and don't want to go all the way around, you drive the wrong way down the aisle and back in. If you're going down the right way then it's completely pointless to back in 135 degrees.

Although I have done it because sometimes in parking lots you pay more attention to people around than looking for a spot and you drive past a spot then have to back into it.

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

Just because the aisles are one way doesn't mean you drive the right way down them.
Ummmm... that's exactly what it means. Do you drive the wrong way down a one-way road too?

: ) Amadna

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: ohtwell

Just because the aisles are one way doesn't mean you drive the right way down them.
Ummmm... that's exactly what it means. Do you drive the wrong way down a one-way road too?

Only on days that end in "y". :p

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000

Just because the aisles are one way doesn't mean you drive the right way down them. Like I said, if you see a spot and don't want to go all the way around, you drive the wrong way down the aisle and back in. If you're going down the right way then it's completely pointless to back in 135 degrees.

Although I have done it because sometimes in parking lots you pay more attention to people around than looking for a spot and you drive past a spot then have to back into it.
um..one way means one way. It would also be easier for me to get across town if I drove the wrong way down one-way streets, but common sense tells me not to.

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

It might mean that but if you can drive down the wrong way and get a spot or go all the way around and have to drive around the parking lot for another 5 minutes you're going to drive down the wrong way and just back in.

As for your question about driving down the wrong way on a one way road I have. 3AM in the morning for like 10 feet because I had to get to a building next to ours so it was easier to just drive down the wrong way than take a right, drive down to the light, drive down the other side, flip another b1tch and then go to the building I was trying to get to.

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

um..one way means one way. It would also be easier for me to get across town if I drove the wrong way down one-way streets, but common sense tells me not to.

How is it common sense not to? Just because it's supposedly the rule everyone follows? If there's no one coming why does it matter?

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

It might mean that but if you can drive down the wrong way and get a spot or go all the way around and have to drive around the parking lot for another 5 minutes you're going to drive down the wrong way and just back in.

As for your question about driving down the wrong way on a one way road I have. 3AM in the morning for like 10 feet because I had to get to a building next to ours so it was easier to just drive down the wrong way than take a right, drive down to the light, drive down the other side, flip another b1tch and then go to the building I was trying to get to.
Only an idiot would drive down the wrong way just to get a spot. People that do that are just plain pathetic. "Ooooo... look there's a spot that's closer. I have to break the law and drive the wrong way on a one-way, but I don't care because I'm just too damn lazy to walk from any other spot."
rolleye.gif

: ) Amanda

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

Only an idiot would drive down the wrong way just to get a spot. People that do that are just plain pathetic. "Ooooo... look there's a spot that's closer. I have to break the law and drive the wrong way on a one-way, but I don't care because I'm just too damn lazy to walk from anyother spot."
rolleye.gif

Only and idiot blindly obeys the law just because it's the law with no discretion or common sense involved in desicion making. When it's late at night and you're sitting there at a red light that won't turn do you sit there for 5 minutes with no one coming? By the way there is no law that says that in aisles in which spots are angled that you must drive down the right side. It's just assumed that's what you normally do.

You use common sense when you make decisions like this. If there's someone coming on the other side and you can't get into the spot before they drive down the aisle then obviously you don't do it. If there's no one coming what's the problem?

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

Only an idiot would drive down the wrong way just to get a spot. People that do that are just plain pathetic. "Ooooo... look there's a spot that's closer. I have to break the law and drive the wrong way on a one-way, but I don't care because I'm just too damn lazy to walk from anyother spot."
rolleye.gif

Only and idiot blindly obeys the law just because it's the law with no discretion or common sense involved in desicion making. When it's late at night and you're sitting there at a red light that won't turn do you sit there for 5 minutes with no one coming? By the way there is no law that says that in aisles in which spots are angled that you must drive down the right side. It's just assumed that's what you normally do.

You use common sense when you make decisions like this. If there's someone coming on the other side and you can't get into the spot before they drive down the aisle then obviously you don't do it. If there's no one coming what's the problem?
So what you are saying is that people who obey the laws are lacking common sense. If only we could all be as smart as you!

Oh, and I'm sure that you'd be breaking some law if you were caught driving the wrong way down a one-way aisle. If you got in a wreck going that way, you'd get a ticket for going the wrong way and the accident would probably be deemed your fault.

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

rolleye.gif

So what you are saying is that people who obey the laws are lacking common sense. If only we could all be as smart as you!

What the hell? Where did I say people who obey laws lack common sense? I'm saying people who blindly obey the law with no discretion or common sense involved are idiots. How does this mean because you obey the law you lack common sense?

Common sense dictates that you think about things before you do them. When you obey laws just because they're laws then you're obivously not using very much common sense are you.

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

Oh, and I'm sure that you'd be breaking some law if you were caught driving the wrong way down a one-way aisle. If you got in a wreck going that way, you'd get a ticket for going the wrong way and the accident would probably be deemed your fault.

What the hell? Where did I say people who obey laws lack common sense? I'm saying people who blindly obey the law with no discretion or common sense involved are idiots. How does this mean because you obey the law you lack common sense?

Common sense dictates that you think about things before you do them. When you obey laws just because they're laws then you're obivously not using very much common sense are you.
There!

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: IshmaelLeaver
I don't get it. And most drivers take forever to do it.

I do it to piss you off. :p

'Course, I can do it quickly.

"I'm an excellent driver." </Dustin Hoffman>

LiQiCE

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have no problems with people who back into parking spots, it really makes no difference to me ... but I do have problems with the people at my work who back into parking spots with their huge ass SUVs and park lop-sided. The parking spots in the garage are small, so I understand if you aren't straight the first time ... but if you're gonna back the car in, then pull back out and straighten it out! :)

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Its eaiser to park for me, I have a Chevy Tahoe and with it being a longer Vehicle, its eaiser to back into places.

IshmaelLeaver

Golden Member
Feb 19, 2001

Thanks everyone. I guess since I drive a beater and it seems like it takes longer to park when you back in, it didn't make sense to me. Also 99% of Maryland drivers are HORRIBLE; most insist on backing in even though it takes them like 3-4 tries to get their car in the spot. In the meantime I've driven around them, parked my car, and walked into the store.

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: IshmaelLeaver

Thanks everyone. I guess since I drive a beater and it seems like it takes longer to park when you back in, it didn't make sense to me. Also 99% of Maryland drivers are HORRIBLE; most insist on backing in even though it takes them like 3-4 tries to get their car in the spot. In the meantime I've driven around them, parked my car, and walked into the store.

I actually took a trip to Toronto where everyone backed into spots because the spots were too tight to park normal in. Well, I came home and resumed the habit and do it sometimes. Only it seems like everyone in Toronto does it well and the people who I've seen here do it really blow at it...

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Large truck is easier to back into sports then pull in, plus much faster to pull out.

Last edited:

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001

I just got finished sueing someone who agreed with you.

This stupid woman was not only traveling the wrong way down the aisle, but backing up as well. so.. yeah hope you don't hit me in your negligence.