Why do people back into parking spots?

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
So you can drive right out when you're done. And it makes you look cool. Unless, you're one of those that take forever.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
easier to make a fast getaway when the Gremlins are chasing you

(I told that idiot not to get them wet.....)

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
some vehicles are easier to park that way, long wheelbase pickups or vans, for example.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
I don't ever back into them, however I will pull through to the other side it it is convenient. And if I can successfully push the other car.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
I find it easier to back into a parking space and drive out than drive into a parking space and back out.

Confused

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
or in the case of my old car, I'd always back in because I didn't know if the car would start up the next time I put the keys in the ignition so I wanted to make it easier to jump the car at all times :)

vexingv

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2002
i assume you guys are talking about 90 degree parking...in the city its all parallel; reminds me of the seinfeld episode i just saw the other day when george and this other dude argue about a spot when george backs up to park and the other guy pulls in head-first

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
if the parking space is small, its easier to park backwards.

I think America is the only country where most people park forwards. IN other countries the parking spaces are so small, so people usually park backwards

heat23

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
i was thinking the exact same thing 2 days ago when I saw some cars parked like that in a parking garage. It seems like more work to me. And if i tried doing it I would probably back into the cars on either side of the spot

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
It's actually safer to back into a parking spot or your driveway. When you back up you can't see ANYTHING whatsoever. So when you back into your parking spot you drive by it to make sure nobody is around then back in. On the way out you aren't backing INTO pedestrian / automobile traffic and you have full visibility. It's much much safer, although a PITA if you ask me.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
I went to meet a girl I had met online. We were supposed to meet outside of Starbucks. I arrived first, and *just to be extra careful*, I picked the least congested parking area and backed into the parking spot. Just in case, her real life appearence wasn't like her photograh. :D

Didn't even need to, real life appearence was 10 times better than the picture ;) I was surprised.

Crappopotamus

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2002
so you can see when youre pulling out. when you back in, its controlled and no ones gonna hit you. when you back out, you have no idea what idiot is on their cell phone not paying attention, about to smoke you. however, i never back in when there are people behind me. no one ever gets it and they always get in the friggen way.

i was taught to always back in at my driving school, so i got really good at it. ive been getting really lazy recently though. its pretty bad now. lol.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
the front of my car is really low and catches on the curb thing