Why do I feel the need to keep upgrading...when I don't even need the extra processor power?

GundamF91

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
I was away from computer building for 4 years, then October last year it all came back, and I'm inflicted with the cursed addiction again. First I went frugal with the Abit IP35E board and E2180, pushed that to 3.2Ghz. Around Xmas I just couldn't sit still, soI went and got the E4500 and pushed the speed to 3.5Ghz. Then I managed to get the Abit IP35 Pro board to get some stability and vDroop issue solved. Then this year, I kept thinking about Penryn, until I just couldn't stand the wait, and decided to get it. Of course, I had to get the latest chipset too. So I got this Asus P45 P5Q Deluxe board, and of course, it's not enough w/o a new CPU. So I ditched E4500, and got the Q9450, managed to push it to 3.6Ghz. Oh, let's not forget I also doubled my memory to 8GB last month. And lastly I bought HD4850 to replace my x1950Pro GPU.

All that, and now the system feels lightning fast, but I dont' even really use it all that much. Much of the time, the system just sits there idling.

And of course, I'm already contemplating Nehalem and transitioning to DDR3 system. I think I'm just going to stay away from AT and other forums and also stay away from NewEgg and all other good hardware deals out there. Maybe I can hold out for another 4 years on this rig, and then come back and visit. :)

virtualskunk

Jul 15, 2008
:). Gundam I don't mean to derail the thread but I quick question directed at you if I may. I will be loading up a new rig in about 2 weeks with your Q9450 and the P5Q-E (Very similar to your mobo), with 4 gigs of 6400 (800mhz) rated ram. As far as overclocking my processor, all I'm really looking to do is throw the FSB up to about 400. I ordered an AC 7 freezer HS to put on it so hopefully my temp's will be fine, but given this information, will I need to worry about ram timings at all? Will it just be a matter of keeping it stable with the correct amount of Vcore?

Cheers in advance, like I said, I didn't mean to derail it, but I didn't think my question deserved it's own post :p.

God Mode

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2005
Because people like staying up to date and in control with at least one thing in their lives. Its a relatively cheaper hobby than sports cars or home renovation.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
lol..

because my epenis feels small when something new comes out. :p

Seriously, i like toys.

Computer to me a big boy's toy. :D

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
its a lack of perspective... I still have a lot of older parts and computers... and try them now and then, and they are insanely slow.

Yea you think "i don't use it that much"... but how often do you use your CAR? how much does it cost? how often do you actually USE your cell phone, how much does it cost?

It's all a matter of balance really.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Why do I eat chex mex even when I'm not hungry?

Besides, aren't we all, except for some oddballs, anymous here?

twjr

Jul 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
Why do I eat chex mex even when I'm not hungry?

Besides, aren't we all, except for some oddballs, anymous here?

I don't know about anymous...

But I too have that problem. For instance I just bought 2 HD4850's even though i really only needed one or in fact could have just kept my 'old' 8800gts 320mb.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, i have the upgrade bug bad too. I just finished building what were two high-end gaming rigs.E2140 @ 3.2, 4GB, X1950Pro, DS3R, 320HD, etc. Now i have two new builds planned. Q6600 @ 3.6, X48, 8GB, HD4850 CF, 500HD, etc. Im debating Nehalem.

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: taltamir
its a lack of perspective... I still have a lot of older parts and computers... and try them now and then, and they are insanely slow.

I to have many old parts and pieces and 3 (older) complete rigs. Slow as the are, but fun to mess around with. I like my hobby(s), and enjoy having the best of both. Building my puters ( both Quad and Duo now ) and learning how they tick, I love my other Quad too, polaris 800, thats for the outdoors and getting away. I feel the OP's pains as I too have the bug and probably have it for a long long time!:)

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: taltamir

Yea you think "i don't use it that much"... but how often do you use your CAR? how much does it cost? how often do you actually USE your cell phone, how much does it cost?

It's all a matter of balance really.

I to have many old parts and pieces and 3 (older) complete rigs. Slow as the are, but fun to mess around with. I like my hobby(s), and enjoy having the best of both. Building my puters ( both Quad and Duo now ) and learning how they tick, I love my other Quad too, polaris 800, thats for the outdoors and getting away. I feel the OP's pains as I too have the bug and probably have it for a long long time!:

spinejam

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
I tend to alleviate my guilt and justify my upgrades by giving / selling my "not so old" components to family / friends so they can stay fairly current as well. For me, it's time consuming and aggravating troubleshooting / fixing slow, aged pos 'puters. :)

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
yea... that is a good point spinejam... My brother was ecstatic when I gave him my 8800GTS 512MB

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
I just upgraded from a 4600+ X2 2.4GHz to a new 5600+ X2 2.9GHz. Did i need to do it? NO....do i see a huge difference....NO.....do i feel better doing it....YES! ;)

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: daveybrat
I just upgraded from a 4600+ X2 2.4GHz to a new 5600+ X2 2.9GHz. Did i need to do it? NO....do i see a huge difference....NO.....do i feel better doing it....YES! ;)

Good answer *clap clap* Good answer *clap clap*:D

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Nice system, but I am confused as to why you purchased a quad core CPU, overclocked it, stocked the system with 8GB of RAM, and then 'crippled' the system with a 4850? Wouldn't such powerful CPUs and quantities of memory deserve a GPU with a little more oomph? ;)

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
Yeah...I think we're all like that. I bought an Xbox 360 even though I play it twice a week for an hour every time. Same with my new computer...I use it maybe 3 hours max and spend the rest of the time on my OLD computer.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Nice system, but I am confused as to why you purchased a quad core CPU, overclocked it, stocked the system with 8GB of RAM, and then 'crippled' the system with a 4850? Wouldn't such powerful CPUs and quantities of memory deserve a GPU with a little more oomph? ;)

so he can upgrade again soon...

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: Bateluer

if a game is GPU limited you can lower the resolution or setting and get smooth FPS.
if a game is CPU limited you can not do anything to get smooth gameplay other then upgrading the CPU.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: n7
It's a disease.

I can't get rid of it either :(

ROFL!

Dammit didnt someone warn us!??!?

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
my problem is wanting as much processing power as possible for distributed computing ...
i really don't use it for anything else, yet i spend hundreds/thousands every chance i get ...

nothing is ever good enough, never enough, etc.

PolymerTim

Apr 29, 2002
I've got the disease too. I do distributed computing as well, but to be honest, I upgrade the computer because it feels good. DC just makes me feel a little bit better about spending the money. :)

Majic 7

Mar 27, 2008
Is this some internet virus thing? I'm 58 years old and didn't even own a computer 3 1/2 years ago. Didn't think I needed one. Now it is so integrated into my life I am pretty much dependent on them, banking, bill paying and goofing around playing games and benching. Already on my third computer, and self built at that. Just had to have an E8500 and a OC board.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
its a virus, they put it in the thermal paste and it can infect you through the skin :p

FSH42NA

Dec 26, 2002
Originally posted by: spinejam
I tend to alleviate my guilt and justify my upgrades by giving / selling my "not so old" components to family / friends so they can stay fairly current as well. For me, it's time consuming and aggravating troubleshooting / fixing slow, aged pos 'puters. :)

Spinejam,

This is exactly what I do to ease my guilt for stockpiling so much stuff. What I can't sell I end up giving it to friends and relatives in the form of "upgrades". Take the pc I'm building for my 10 yr old daughter:

Abit IP35pro
E6850 with Scythe ninja B
2gb ADATA DDR2 PC6400
8800GTS 640mb
Seagate 500gb x2
Samsung DVD burner
Corsair TX650
LianLi case

Little overkill??

The real issue for me is my burning desire/need/obsession to have the latest and greatest.
Problem is this compulsion to hoard far exceeds the time I have available to sit down and build a PC. Compounding this is the nerve that the hardware/cpu manufacturers have in putting out an endless supply of newer, faster components. :shocked: By the time, i have the time to put together a pc, there always seems to be something that seems better to have. It's just a vicious cycle. :eek:

Oh well, it's better than being hooked on gambling. :D