Why do games have stupid name?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Speaking of naming conventions, if you can tell me what GTX ACTUALLY stands for I'll eat my hat.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
"Common knowledge" possessed by nerds on a tech forum. Sure, you can Google it. But the point is it isn't obvious by looking at the name.

I have to assume GT was taken from sports cars. GT is always used on sports cars to signify they are the suped up version.

Just like the 980ti. TI was brought back because back in the day it was used as a way to signify it was a fast card. I believe it originally stood for Titanium.

In the end, we learn the new naming conventions, and move on with our lives.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
103808d1430749991t-bloody-keyboard-wreck-o.jpg

Who cares?

thehotsung8701A

May 18, 2015
For a collector like myself who wants physical copy of everything, it just so annoying to have the same type of games with the same graphic and one said Tomb Raider and the other said Rise of the Tomb Raider. It just a small gaming pet peeves of mine. Don't mind it too much on movies since I don't really collect though but equally as annoying.

Then you get to the point where some games should not have a solid number like Far Cry 4 and Assassin Creed 3 and 4. They should be Far Cry 3.5 and Assassin Creed 2.5 and 2.6 respectively. Games should only have solid number when it a true sequel with updated game-play, engine, and graphics. But I'm guessing I'm opening up another can of worm at this point.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
For a collector like myself who wants physical copy of everything, it just so annoying to have the same type of games with the same graphic and one said Tomb Raider and the other said Rise of the Tomb Raider. It just a small gaming pet peeves of mine. Don't mind it too much on movies since I don't really collect though but equally as annoying.

Then you get to the point where some games should not have a solid number like Far Cry 4 and Assassin Creed 3 and 4. They should be Far Cry 3.5 and Assassin Creed 2.5 and 2.6 respectively. Games should only have solid number when it a true sequel with updated game-play, engine, and graphics. But I'm guessing I'm opening up another can of worm at this point.

The numbering does bother me. Yes, a real sequel with a following number should be at least new engine, new assets, & moderately new gameplay.

Far Cry 4 should've been called Far Cry 3: (insert titular phrase).

Deus Ex did a good job:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Same engine, similar assets, similar gameplay, just new 'levels'.

I'm a huge fan of Dota. Technically Dota 2 should've been just Dota- as it's now a true stand-alone game rather than a Warcraft 3 custom map. There's nothing 'sequel' about it in terms of pure gameplay- it's meant to exactly replicate Dota 1.

It's not a remake, it's not a port, it's most definitely not a sequel. What would you call it? I guess a closest would be 'remake'. But it's not remade anything, gameplay and heroes exactly mirror the original.

Last edited:

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
I have to assume GT was taken from sports cars. GT is always used on sports cars to signify they are the suped up version.

Just like the 980ti. TI was brought back because back in the day it was used as a way to signify it was a fast card. I believe it originally stood for Titanium.

In the end, we learn the new naming conventions, and move on with our lives.
This, I remember back when there was the 8800GT and stuff. GT because cool sports cars had that and so it sounds cool in people's head, like it's a high performance version of something. Like the Golf GTI (go wonder what the I stands for, I know the D in GTD stands for diesel though).
They added the X because the X stands for extreme.
There also was the 8800GTS: gran turismo sport, so it's better than GT, but still not as good as the extreme version.
Too bad that it came out later so it was all messed up regardless if you put video cards on a performance scale (I could be remembering wrong).

It's stupid that nowadays it's all GTX but what can you do.

Anyway this is all done to make the product name sound cool. Sequential names work if you have a loyal following, like the sports game. But CoD has to sounds like something new and cool even though it's always the same soup, just warmed up and stirred.

Last edited: